Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I have it on Byrd Parts, not sure about DeShannon's catalogue.

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I believe it is on the LA Nuggets set. Edit: It is. Full title is Where the Action Is: Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-68.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    jas621 likes this.
  3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The rumor that Gene is on "Goin' Back" is not unfounded. The most you could say is that it's disputed.

IMO he is clearly audible. His is the low voice going "oooo" underneath the "la la la la la" break sung by Roger, Chris, and Curt Boettcher. It could hardly be anyone else singing that part -- does it sound like Roger or Chris or Curt Boettcher? Add in that members of the Rose Garden (IIRC) are on record having seen Gene contributing to the song in the studio. I see no reason to doubt their account when it is corroborated by the presence of a mystery low voice on the recording, and vice versa.

I am more agnostic about Gene's alleged contribution to "Space Odyssey." He could be singing the lower part in unison with Roger, but he could just as easily not be. The part does appear to be doubled in any case.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Jimmi Seiter says he didn't but like you say Rose a Garden said he did - we will probably never know for sure.

5. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Byrds, mkII: the first southern rock band?

6. ShockControl

That may partially explain why I think they are so terrible. You may be on to something.

D.B. and belushipower like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, the fact that Seiter didn't see him recording doesn't prove he didn't do it, since Seiter may not have been present for every single session. Even if he was, it doesn't preclude him forgetting some details, or getting some details wrong. Also, Seiter sat in on dozens of Byrds sessions, whereas the Rose Garden only attended one, so I would imagine they were probably more attentive to details since it was something that was a special occasion for them, whereas for Seiter it was a routine occurrence. And in terms of the way memory works, it's generally more likely that a person would forget details than it is that they would completely manufacture a memory that didn't happen. Given all this, I'd tend to trust the Rose Garden's memories more than Seiter's here, and conclude that the greater likelihood is that Gene did record some vocals for the song. Whether or not they made it into the final mix is another story, but as Maggie pointed there's audible evidence that supports that premise.

davenav, Maggie and ajsmith like this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My wife is friends with the wife of John Noreen, a member of The Rose Garden. I guess maybe I could get the Gene on Byrd Brothers question to him, but it wouldn't prove anything.

Maggie likes this.
  9. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Anything Byrds? Okay. My second favorite Byrds track, my favorite girls, little kids with bongos, Chris looking irritated as usual, Gene thinking about lunch, Dave smirking that we don't know what he just did, Jim remembering his capo is in the car, and at 2:27, Michael looking at the monitor thinking, "whoa..."

D.B., PhilBorder and JulesDassin like this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Jesus, look how absolutely square the rest of the world was.

11. Wordnat

Wordnat Active Member

12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Is there a chance Gene recorded vocals and by the time the song came out he had left so they took him off the final mix?

13. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Just checked Seiters book and he says Curt and Gary did the vocals and their blend sounded nice. He says many think Gene was on the record but he was not.

Either way Gene was officially back when those sessions happened so possible...

Maggie likes this.
  14. ShockControl

The world looks a lot more square today by comparison.

eternalise and Hall Cat like this.
  15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Well, many of us know what Gary Usher sounded like in the '60s (from the "Sacramento" single among other things) and the lower voice on "Goin' Back" doesn't sound like him at all, it sounds like Gene. I'm not disputing that Gary is on the track, though; there are many voices there, and Chris was never the most confident harmony singer (not with the Byrds anyway). I suspect there is more Chris Boettcher (and perhaps Gary Usher) on that album than most people suspect. Kind of like the prominent Terry Melcher part on "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" ('69 version).

There are many assertions in the Seiter books that seem to run contrary to auditory evidence. He repeatedly records hitherto unknown overdub sessions that seem to leave no traces on the tracks.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think it's likely they would have removed his vocals because he had left the band... they didn't remove any of Crosby's vocal or instrumental contributions after he was fired. It's possible Gene recorded a vocal that wasn't used in the final mix for other reasons, but if so then that would raise the question of who is singing the part that Maggie thinks sounds like Gene (I'm not eagle-eared enough to have an opinion myself about whose voice that is). Seiter certainly is not infallible. He claims it's Hal Blaine on "Change is Now" but nothing short of a film of the session would convince me it's not Michael Clarke.

Maggie likes this.
  17. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Yeah I have to believe it's Michael cos it's one of my favourite tracks. I like to believe Gene is on Goin Back too for the record.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If it's not Clarke on that track, it's got to be the best Clarke impression ever. Which certainly would not be beyond Hal Blaine's abilities, but if they didn't like what Clarke had done why would they have Blaine copy it?

Wordnat and Maggie like this.
  19. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

I joined these forums sometime in early 2016, and I recently bought The Notorious Byrd Brothers as a direct result. Before now, my only Byrds album has been Sweetheart of the Rodeo, which I bought more as a Gram Parsons record than as a Byrds record. And except for "Wasn't Born to Follow" -- which I knew from watching Easy Rider a bunch in college -- I knew none of the songs on NBB. All of this being said, my first experience of it kind of took me by surprise. In particular, I was struck by just how much the album seems to be contending with the Beatles and Brian Wilson. Up to this point, I am only hearing it as an artifact of the period, but I look forward to playing it more and seeing if the album strikes me in different ways later.

20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yes. Well said! A lot of people here believe that NBB is their master work.

DTK, Maggie and peachyg72 like this.
  21. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

It is that opinion -- which I discovered here -- that prompted the purchase. Plus, I have always considered the Byrds a huge gap in my music collection.

For what it is worth, my music listening these days is very connected with a new found commitment to exercise. That I have been injured since I got NBB means that it has not gotten the best listen I can give it. When fully recovered and back up to speed, I look forward to hearing it without the "background noise" of personal frustration with having injury-related foot pain.

Maggie and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

When I saw Chris Hillman's talk at the Library of Congress he seemed to imply that NBB was one of the Byrd's best.

23. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That "Good Day Sunshine" clip does not feature Ted Bluechel of the Association on the drums, no way

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

not the Byrds.

25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

This was discussed on a Yahoo Byrds mailing list on account of the presence of McGuinn and Clark