Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Received this email today about the Gene Clark documentary:

Thanks for buying the DVD of our Gene Clark documentary. We hope you enjoyed it.

This is a quick heads up... We're now down to the last few boxes of our

initial print run, and we don't know when (or even if) there will be more

available. We're hoping to arrange wider distribution and are having

discussions with several people, but nothing has been finalised as yet and

there's no guarantee that it will be.

So if anyone you know wants a copy - or if you need another one - we'd

recommend not leaving it too long.

The DVD is available direct from us - http://foursunsproductions.com/Shop/

Or if you prefer, and are happy to pay a little more, it's also on eBay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171776952791?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Cheers
    Four Suns

indigo_m and AlienRendel like this.
  2. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I really loved this movie, I stumbled upon it by accident and after seeing it, my interest in the original Byrds and Gene Clark was instantly renewed! I have a question for the Byrds Nyrds about the black and white film clip they show of The Byrds that has no sound. It shows them back stage and then there's some quick edits with Eight Miles High playing over it that shows the band performing live somewhere. Does anyone have any more information on what that film was originally intended for? Also, the botched BBC promo clip for Set You Free This Time that Crosby sabotaged, do any clips survive from whatever they managed to film or is that gone forever? Just an observation - but I got the sense that McGuinn was very uncomfortable talking about Gene. I can never make out whether he actually liked him or not, but I guess that's just his personality (or lack of).

davenav likes this.
  3. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

There's been a copy of the 1989 Byrds tribute LP Time Between (on Imaginary Records) languishing in the bin at my local records store for what seems like years now; I would always pass by it because they had it priced too high but last weekend I noticed it was marked down to $4, so I decided it needed a good home. I'm always on the lookout for odd Gene Clark/Byrds covers - and this particular collection is so of its time that it instantly transported me back 25 years. I love the jangly mash-up of "Time Between" and "Why" by The Mock Turtles (who were kind of a footnote in the Madchester/baggy scene but had a couple of good records). And Richard Thompson does a suitably morose cover of "Here Without You" which has me wishing he'd do a whole LP of just Gene songs.

Next up: Hugo Montenegro works his easy listening magic on "Here Without You"...

Oatsy, Rickchick, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

[​IMG]
    Tweeted earlier today. Apparently bogus, but still cool.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  5. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Does anyone know whether a recording of the original Byrds performing The Beatles "Things We Said Today" exists anywhere?

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I've never heard of one making the rounds. I think this was in their early set, before they were doing much recording. It sure would be cool to hear!

Brettlowden, Rickchick and indigo_m like this.
  7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Did they do that on one of the US TV shows like Shindig or Hullaballoo ?? I'll see if i can find my dvds. On one of those shows all the guests would take part in singing a current hit - sure i have Sammy Davis Jnr singing something with The Animals unlikely as it sounds.
    I'm still hoping some film of them playing Lady Friend or Renaissance Fair turns up (or the infamous fight on the beach promo). I've not listened to The Byrds much in recent years but absolutely love 'em. I wonder how much more film of them there is from the Crosby era not to mention more studio out takes.
    We need a fresh supply of Byrd er.. droppings ?!?!!
    CSN should absolutely do acoustic versions of Lady Friend and RF. Two of my all-time favourite songs.

zobalob likes this.
  8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Is there anywhere I can hear sound clips from the Sundazed releases such as Sanctuary II? Thanks!

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I have silent film of them at Village Theatre, New York, July 67. Not sure if it's circulate.

catman and ash1 like this.
  10. thymecube

thymecube Forum Resident

As far as I've read the Byrds' cover of Things We Said Today was part of their early set at Ciros. I think it was Derek Taylor who recalled how that song was very often the turning point early in the Byrds set... where a lackluster sloppy set would very often hinge on the bridge "Me I'm just a lucky guy..." and Crosby in particular. Though it was early in their career, keep in mind they were in the recording studio with Jim Dickson almost from their inception, so it's probable there could be a recording of them doing it.... but since the release of so much of the early Pre-flyte period material, if it hasn't surface by now... then it's a slim hope. Well, if we're putting out a wishlist of what Byrds' live recordings might be out there... I remember somewhere reading that Sonny Bono trying to capture the Byrds' magic for Cher actually recorded them at Ciros... just sayin'!
    As far as Lady Friend and Renaissance Fair... there are at least three possible sources of video/film that I can think of. The Monterey Outtakes could possibly include both if the Byrds' entire set was filmed; the Johnny Carson Tonight Show performance which by most accounts doesn't exist except possibly if some fan filmed it with a Super 8 off of their tv ? Lady Friend was also performed on the same Bandstand appearance as Eight Miles High which makes the rounds ( youtube)... though both were lipsynced.
    Of the three, the Monterey Pop footage is the most likely to exist, in which case I would like to see LF and RF but more importantly So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star with Hugh Masekela and the much rarer I Know My Rider... hell, I'd settle for a first generation audio of that one!
    Considering the times, state of technology and overall attitude towards the music of groups like the Byrds at the time... and this includes the Byrds themselves... I'm constantly surprised by what is actually out there and what may still exist such as Whin Opice has or knows of.
    Hey does anyone have any additional info on the Gene Clark material that the Gene's estate and Sierra are planning to release?

11. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

SOMEBODY should contact Cher or Sonny Bono's estate for the Ciro's footage if that exists! That would be an incredible find!!

12. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2390

Some insider information from the other thread:

Another poster offers the following guesses:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/gene-clark-sacd-of-unreleased-recordings.429086/page-4

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Hep Alien and AlienRendel like this.
  13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the great reply. I'm not sure how much of The Byrds Monterey set was filmed but yeah i'd love it all...i have an audience tape somewhere with (i think), SYWTBARAR Star, I Know My Rider and the rest...iirc a plane flies over during one of the songs. It'd be ace to get a soundboard of the whole show if it exists...i forget what's been issued officially so far.
    Yes i believe the Carson show is lost apart from the offair audio recording...big shame...for all the complaints about Mr Big Mouth during this period they were awesome as far as i'm concerned and a big part of that is Neil Young's best friend's harmonies and compositions - hey the other guys were superb too even Michael !
    I'll have to see if that Bandstand clip survives...even a mime of Lady Friend would be great, CSN should play that one...i bet it'd be beautiful even now.

pablo fanques and Jet Age Eric like this.
  14. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

http://pastdaily.com/2014/03/22/byrds-live-monterey-1967-backstage-weekend-extra/. This is missing "I Know my Rider" but it does exist as a soundboard recording.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Fun with Crosby on Twitter #7

Twitter user: Did you like Yes's version of "I See You"?

Crosby: Don't think I ever heard it .....

Twitter user: Really! you couldn't have had too many of your songs covered by 1969? how would you miss it??

Crosby: I don't know

Twitter user: *posts YouTube link to song*

Crosby: Ok .. I did hear it .. and then I tried to forget it

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ha. I'd never heard it before, but I had to go check it out after reading this. Crosby is right. "La la la, la la la"? They were too lazy to track down a lyric sheet?

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, I do like the cover; I just found the exchange funny. Yes actually had good taste in covers, often showcasing neglected album tracks: this one, obviously, but also the Beatles' "Every Little Thing" and Buffalo Springfield's "Everydays".

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I remember an interview with Stills didn't know about Yes' cover. I think if Yes covered one of my songs I'd tried to hear it. But that's just me.

Maybe CSN could do an acoustic "Keys To the Ascension"

21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Sundazed albums Sanctuary II and the 10' Another Dimension. What are your thoughts on these?

22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I really like Another Dimension. It's a very cool alternative album. And a cool 10 inch disc.

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The documentary dwells on Clark's troubled personal life as much as his music. It has some flaws: there is much too much heard from David Crosby, possibly because (as I recently learned to my surprise) he now controls the rights to the Byrds name; unless I blinked and missed it it did not discuss Clark briefly returning to The Byrds for a few weeks in late 1967, and didn't show the clip of Clark lip-synching "Goin' Back" with the band on The Smothers Brothers Show; also it didn't show the extant video of Clark singing his great ballad "Hear The Wind" (there may have been rights issues involved in the latter two cases).

Lost In The Flood and indigo_m like this.
  24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

What year was this? What song(s)?

Could one of you experts start a thread about rock acts on the Tonight Show in the '60s? Aside from Sam Cooke doing "A Change Is Gonna Come" in early '64 it's a subject I know nothing about, except that I've heard Carson was annoyed when The Youngbloods bitched about the show's sound system and used the incident as an excuse to stop booking rock bands.

Certainly rock acts disappeared from the show in the '70s -- the only exception I know of is the Bee Gees c. 1974.

This changed in the '80s -- IIRC David Bowie was a guest on Carson's first hour-long show c. '82 -- and of course Joan Rivers was willing to book just about anyone to get that youth demo.

Shortly before Carson retired Leno was guest hosting and his musical guest was... John Cale! Never thought I'd see that day. One of their exchanges went something like this:

LENO (hesitant to bring up the subject): Have you ever talked to, you know, the other members of The Velvet Underground, about, you know, maybe getting back together, I mean... would you be willing to do a tour, a tour with the other members?

CALE (smiling mundanely): Sure, if they pay us.

:laugh:

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How is it that Crosby now solely controls the rights to the Byrds name? Did he buy out McGuinn and Hillman? Was this stated in the documentary or is there another source for this?