Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

"Triad" is a fantastic song, but I don't think it sounds like a "Notorious" track. Not as produced as the others, where as "Lady Friend" in my opinion would fit right at home on it.
    I'm sure if it had performed better on the charts, they would have included it. What a shame. I sequence it at the end of side 1, and push "Get To You" to the beginning of side 2.

wayne66 and Maggie like this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

lol, I see what you did there. Thanks for the reminder. Embarrassing that that exchange took place a mere four months ago and I've already forgotten. I expect we will be discussing this again in September.

Hep Alien, czeskleba and AlienRendel like this.
  3. Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever Well-Known Member

In Hjort and Seiter it wrongly stated it was 'Old John Robertson'. Rogan confirms in 'Requiem Volume 1' that it was 'Change Is Now' and explains how the misinformation occurred. Crosby referred to 'Hillman's song', assumed to be 'Old John Robertson' but it was 'Change Is Now'. Crosby also played the bass on the latter live onstage confirming Rogan's info.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Strawberry Fields Forever

You may well be right. In Requium and Timeless Flight Revisited Crosby told Rogan, 'Was 'Lady Friend' good? Did you like it? They wouldn't put it on the record because it was mine and not theirs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't know whether it helps, but there are excerpts from the single here.

sundazed.com/the-byrds-eight-miles-high-/-why-7-single.aspx

Maggie likes this.
  6. Maggie

Thanks. It's really hard to tell conclusively from that sample. FWIW, it doesn't sound like a fold-down of the 90s mix (Gene's vocal is more prominent), so that's something.

If we could hear the ending and it were somehow different from the available versions, that would be something.

mr.datsun likes this.
  7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It's different. As i said, that was already as RSD item. I have actual single + needledrop was circulating

8. Maggie

The ending is different?

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Mix is very different. Not fold down of 80's-90's remixes. I'm sure it's vintage mixdowns

10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

In 2011, Sundazed released Eight Miles High (quote "The Rare RCA studio versions Original Mono Masters") b/w Why on a 7". "This Special Sundazed release marks the first use of the recently located original mono mixdown masters". It ends with Clarke hitting the drums a couple of times, not a "real touchdown" so to speak. I am no expert on different mixes, but it is very different from the alternate Never Before/5D versions. To my ears, it is more different than just the single being mono and the cd being (remixed?) stereo.

Don't know if this release from 2011 is the same as Sundazed now is releasing.

11. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Reading through the comments above, I don't believe the Sundazed 2011 version (the original mono mix down masters) is the final RCA version (if such a version was ever completed). However it is vastly different from the legacy editions from the 90s. Provided that Hallucalation is referring to the 2011 version, I'm with him in so far as this does not sound as remix from 80s-90s, this is more of a vintage unfinished version/mix.

12. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Quick question, on my In The Beginning CD Tomorrow Is A Long Ways Away has 2 versions, one time credits just Clark, the other Clark, McGuinn & Crosby. Does anybody know which is correct?

13. Strawberry Fields Forever

Just checked Rogan's book which says: "However, the real highlight of the CD was the acoustic and electric treatment of a song never previously released in any form: ‘Tomorrow Is A Long Ways Away’. Written by Gene Clark, who rather generously surrenders co-writing royalties to Crosby and McGuinn on the minimally altered electric version, the song is a revelation." Although written in 1964 the song wasn't registered for copyright at the time so someone was probably erring on the side of caution in adding Crosby and McGuinn's musical contributions to the electric version.

Hep Alien, Maggie and Chuckee like this.
  14. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Never noticed much of a difference except acoustic/electric, thanks!!

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Another amazing candid shot posted in Facebook by Rich Martin Frost (Powder, the Art Collection, Richard & Thomas Frost), and shot by his late wife:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Dee Zee and GetHappy!! like this.
  16. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Can't get enough of this band, I sadly neglected them as a kid although I can recall not liking their versions of the Dylan songs I was so familiar with. My opinion has changed and I've bought everything through ballad of easy rider on vinyl except younger than yesterday within the last month, and a couple 7" and related projects like dillard & clark and heavy influence like ian matthews solo albums. Seriously check out Valley Hi by Ian if you aren't familiar, the country rock era byrds influence is strong and nesmith produced the album, it can be found very cheap too

D.B., picassoson, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  17. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Picked up White Light yesterday all I can say is WOW, got the sundazed since I had some store credit, I'm sure originals are even better but this will do for now. The music is incredible this could end up being among my all time favorite albums

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Great album, especially if you want to hear a non-homogenized "7 Bridges Road"

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Lives up to the stunning image on the cover. You'd have thought Gene would've sold more album just based on that.

D.B., Hep Alien and NapalmBrain like this.
  20. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I'm thinking of replacing my old vinyl Original A and B sides albums with the Sundazed mono singles comp LP. Can anyone tell me if that's a worthwhile move, and is it still in print?

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Get that Sundazed mono singles compilation

22. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yes sir!

23. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Great 2 LP set.

24. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

I saw this on McGuinn's Twitter Feed today and I also checked out the 40 people he follows including Tom Petty, Sid Griffin, Soledad O'Brien, Lyle Lovett, Mike Love, Taj Mahal, Niko Case, Carol King, Paul Jones and David Crosby and more.

Roger McGuinn‏Verified account @RogerMcGuinn 5h5 hours ago
    Roger McGuinn Retweeted David Crosby

Great! I love your version of "For Free" too!

Roger McGuinn added,

David Crosby‏Verified account @thedavidcrosby
    David Crosby Retweeted Roger McGuinn

Oh I do the ones I wrote that I want to do ....Guenevere, Deja Vu, Long a time Gone ,

Roger McGuinn‏Verified account @RogerMcGuinn 9h9 hours ago
    Roger McGuinn Retweeted David Crosby

Right @thedavidcrosby no need to perform other people's songs but you've recorded great songs, I'm sure audiences would enjoy. Just sayin'

PhilBorder and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Reading a book,
    High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic."
    Quite bit about Floyd Crosby, David's father. He was the cinematographer for Hign Noon the Gary Cooper film.