Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I like Michael's drumming on Set You Free This Time and I Come and Stand At Every Door too

AlienRendel and 905 like this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have just seen this added to my Beatles Cover list on my Covers Of Every Beatles Song thread, and thought that I should post it here.

It is Gene singing a nice country rock version of I'll Be Back:

3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Jay hitting those tough questions as always.

4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

That's the great thing sometimes about novice drummers, you will get flashes of great moments that are there because they don't follow any rules, and yes you get some crap too. A great example is Paul McCartney's drumming on Dear Prudence. I always thought that was Ringo's greatest moment at the end when those fills are happening, they sound so good

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

The Jayhawks doing their part for the Byrds:

zobalob likes this.
  6. Clarkophile

keyXVII, theMess and zobalob like this.
  7. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

50th anniversary of the release of the Mr. Tambourine Man album today. Currently enjoying a near mint mono Canadian pressing picked up in a Vancouver shop a few days ago :)

Rickchick and Guy E like this.
  8. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Roger plugged in his Ric & the built in treble boost shorted out . He grabbed a spare guitar ,which was in a different tuning.hence all the pre performance tuning - " we tune because we care ! "
    In the comments section of Crosby's acoustic demo of the song someone has this to say about the tuning up:
    Roger plugged in his Ric & the built in treble boost shorted out . He grabbed a spare guitar ,which was in a different tuning.hence all the pre performance tuning - " we tune because we care ! "

janschfan and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  9. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Bad Night At The Whiskey" is the greatest thing The Byrds have ever done. THE GREATEST THING.

10. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

I like the track, and it's certainly a better example of the divisive production on Dr Byrds which otherwise renders a bulk of the tracks into sonic slush.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The melody is somewhat different than the final record. First time I heard the actual lyrics.

12. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

13. Clarkophile

Got it, thanks.

14. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Not that I doubt Crosby's sincerity, but after watching "The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Triumphs and Tragedy of Gene Clark" last night, it seems like he has been making a point of making public displays of contrition directed toward former band mates as of late. He seems to take full responsibilty for screwing up the Byrds reuinion album, and then there's the recent public apology to Neil. I wonder if this is this simply a case of someone staring at their mortality, or if part of him hopes being so in the open with it all would help various reunion efforts (not that there's anything wrong with wanting to work with old friends again).

15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hard to disagree, actually!

I love this track, and also love the other dark ones on Dr. Byrds -- Wheel's on Fire, King Apathy, Child of the Universe, Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man, etc. What a nice GLOOMY album!! Dr Byrds and Sweetheart are my go to Byrds albums.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yes. He may not remember every obnoxious and dismissive thing he ever said, but he's now at a juncture in his life where he presumes he was a douche a lot of the time. Two ex-addicts that I know have expressed similar sentiments to me... Them: "I'm sorry if I ever said anything insulting to you, but it was the drugs talking." Me: "Don't worry about it."

I found Crosby's interview segments in the Gene Clark film extremely tedious, but I was glad he tried to be gracious.

17. Brother Maynard

The part where he described attempting the Byrds reunion after CSN, then CSN&Y, was confusing. I had to watch it twice to understand he was acknowledging how big his ego had grown with the success of the latter two, thus making him even more of a pain for the Byrds.

18. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Well, I don't pretend to know the details of Crosby's recovery from addiction, or how he stays straight. I would assume that only those closest to him do. That said, I know that it is often part of one's program to make amends to those one has wronged, and continue to do so as the need arises. That may be the case with Crosby. Maybe not. It may be just as Brother Maynard speculated:

keyXVII and Guy E like this.
  19. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Dr Byrds Mr Hyde one of my fave Byrds albums

bonus likes this.
  20. Clarkophile

21. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

zobalob likes this.
  22. Brother Maynard

23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

24. Clarkophile

I'm not really comfortable talking about this aspect of Gene's life. If you pick up the Einarson bio it'll answer everything though.

Brother Maynard and indigo_m like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's my take as well. He certainly has had time to read stuff on the net (and elsewhere, I'm sure) about people telling David stories that they know of first hand or the urban legends that have passed on about him and in particular his relationship with the others. He seems to be very contrite about his many years as an addict and while it's helpful now to be nice to Gene's legacy, I take him at his word. A friend of mine outright holds Crosby responsible for the breakup of 'the best band in the US' (the original 5 piece).

keyXVII and indigo_m like this.