Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Maybe then Crosby can reveal to us who shot Kennedy.

2. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I've only had No Other for a few weeks. At first I really liked From a Silver Phial, Strength of strings; Silver Raven was OK; but the lyrics were too obvious, and the rest was kind of filler. Now I've become enchanted by the entire LP. I just ordered the High Moon deluxe, limited edition CD (opted for the CD over the LP for the bonus tracks). Is this the one you're referring to? Also I was leaning toward Roadmaster as my next purchase rather than White Light. Is that not the better choice if I do not think No Other is overproduced? I'm a Gene Clark newbie; but not more than a casual Byrds listener. Don't stone me guys.

indigo_m likes this.
  3. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I believe there's an unreleased version of Old John Robertson with Mandolin overdubs?

I also strongly believe that the version of Lay Lady Lay on the reissue of Dr Byrds has 1990 Roger bvs on it. The original has John York bvs and I can't believe that's an accident that these were replaced with Roger when preparing the boxset.

4. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

When I saw your High Moon deluxe comment I thought at first they had reissued No Other as well and went rushing to the High Moon web site. But they hadn’t, it was Two Sides to Every Story. That is a great sounding reissue and highly recommend. If you don’t have it yet, check out the two Dillard and Clark albums, I love both, the first is a stone masterwork IMO and Two Sides has a lot more of that style going for it. I’d highly recommend Roadmaster as well, get the Sundazed reissue from a couple of years ago. Actually Sundazed has reissued Clark’s first album with the Gosdin Brothers, Dillard and Clark Expedition, White Light and Roadmaster.

5. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I googled this (about the show & any discussion on the forum) and got nothing.

Not a fan of the show, but I remember, on the Roseanne show, a version of The Byrds, with Gene Clark, appearing. They were playing in a bowling alley or a bar that I guess was a location on the show.

Any discussion or info on this?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  6. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I don't think it was "Rosanne". You may be thinking of some other show called "Throb". Clip below:

Hep Alien, phillyal1, Paul J and 2 others like this.
  7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes, it was intended for Never Before IIRC. Overdubs done at the same time "It Happens Each Day" was being worked on with Chris's acoustic guitar overdub for release. Chris recycles the idea (though not the track itself, of course) on his 2017 album.

Hep Alien and Dee Zee like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wow, I have never seen that, nor had I heard of that show. Looking at wiki, I see it was a non-network, syndicated sitcom. I wonder how Gene's appearance came about?
    The reason for your confusion is probably because Dave Crosby (with Bonnie Bramlett) did appear on Roseanne in 1992, and that episode did take place in a bowling alley:

9. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

[

It was indeed THROB.It was the old hackneyed plot of a benefit show for a New York club facing closure.A two part episode,the second of which featured Timothy b.Schmitt. Gene and the group also recorded Eight Miles High for the show.But only about a minute of the group playing in the background was used going into the commercials.

davenav, Hep Alien, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  10. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Heh, someone in the Byrds had a sense of humour. :)

11. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Had never seen either of those clips! Gene looks really washed up and tragic compared to Croz. Wow!

12. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I believe that was before Gene had the surgery for the severe trench ulcer he had. Croz does not look good either.

13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Did Crosby and Bonnie ever record together ? Missed opportunity .

davenav likes this.
  14. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Who were Gene Clark's other band members in this clip. I would go see this band :(

indigo_m likes this.
  15. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I only recognize John York, I'd have to look up the others! He had a few line-ups for the '20th Anniversary Tribute to The Byrds" ensembles he put together.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the recommendations. Re-reading my post I can see I should have been more specific. After posting I did, in fact, order the Sundazed White Light LP after re-reading your post and re-sampling both Roadmaster and White Light online. One (or two) at a time.

Dee Zee likes this.

17. Piano credit for the album lists LA session ace Craig Doerge; I assume it’s him on The True One?

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Someone posted the full album credits in this thread. Looks like it's Mike Utley on that particular song.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  19. Thanks for the link -lots of talent on that album!

20. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

RSD '18 Special Release: Gene Clark - Back Street Mirror :D

Gene Clark, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee as a member of the Byrds, struck out on his own in 1966 but by early 1967 he was out looking for another label. These tracks are some of his efforts in recording as a solo singer/songwriter during that time. These recordings included backup by famous L.A Wrecking Crew (Leon Russell, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, etc.) along with special guest, Hugh Musekela. The 180g vinyl records were pressed at Hand Drawn Pressings in Texas on the newly designed and manufactured 'WarmTone' automated presses. Packaged in a limited edition numbered silver foil jacket.

SIDE ONE 1. Back Street Mirror 2. Don't Let It Fall Through 3. Yesterday, I Am Right
    SIDE TWO 1. She Told Me 2. If I Hang Around 3. That's What You Want

More info in the Gene Clark thread, Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Clarkophile will be fleshing out some of the background over the next few days in his excellent blog The Clarkophile

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Sounds nice--there was a rumored Byrds RSD release as well, Milestones. Haven't seen it on any of the current lists though. Is it UK RSD only?

davenav likes this.
  22. RSD American Dreamer soundtrack from Light in the Attick. Dennis Hopper Film. Gene Clark is on it.

23. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I still have my LP of American Dreamer. Gene had two cuts on there, American Dreamer which was issued on the Flying High CD UK comp and The Outlaw Song not in digital form as of this writing.

I might add the whole American Dreamer album is quite good.

johnny staccato, indigo_m and Mazzy like this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Actually, the soundtrack has been released on CD in Europe:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Dreamer-Various/dp/B001C3AO00/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

"Outlaw Song" is also available here:

Gene Clark - American Dreamer 1964-1974

Dee Zee likes this.
  25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident