Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Sorry - my reply got somehow embedded in the quote!

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I got rid of my Edsels (YTY, Notorious, Sweetheart) some 20 years ago, but my recollection is that the latter two sounded very good, while YTY was perhaps less so (sounding like maybe an inferior tape was used). I never had the original Sony discs to compare... since the Edsel Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe CDs were all markedly better than the Sonys, my younger self just made the assumption the same must be true of the Byrds' CDs. My younger self also clearly thought the Anesini remasters sounded better when those came out, so I got rid of my Edsels. Kinda wished I'd kept them, now... just for the sake of comparison.

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. Who is the rest of the band there?

4. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

John York is there, and my guess is Greg Thomas on drums, Billy Darnell on 12 string and Michael Curtis on bass.

phillyal1 and johnny staccato like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You must not have looked closely at the guitars, or I'm sure you would have noted that York is the one playing 12 string.

indigo_m likes this.
  6. Raoul V.

7. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

Definitely as stated York,Greg Thomas,Billy Darnell and i would go with Mike Curtis.Check out on You Tube his spiffing version of Gene's GYPSY RIDER and the song he wrote with his brother- Seven League Boots with Buckingham/Nicks later adapted by Stills, as Southern Cross.

8. Raoul V.

Oh, I didn't even watch the video, as I saw it years ago.

9. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Are these unreleased tracks that have been floating around on Youtube ? Back Street Mirror -- they removed Gene's Vocal and used the track for the David Hemmings record , right ?

indigo_m likes this.
  10. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Back Street Mirror and Don't Let it Fall Through were released last year on The Lost Studio Sessions from Sierra Records, the rest have not been released intil now.

AlienRendel and zobalob like this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I just recently finished reading John Einarson's Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark. We never know how totally accurate some musician bios are (and I've read well over 200), but overall I thought this one was excellent, and Einarson seems to be pretty thorough in his research (I've also read his books on the Guess Who, Ian and Sylvia, and Creedence), conducting interviews with people who were there. I remember seeing Gene in 1987 on the Happy Together Tour with his Byrds tribute band (along with the Turtles and the Mamas and Papas). The book says he felt like he was selling out, but they had the classic Byrds sound down cold with those rich harmonies and instrumental textures (and Michael Clarke played drums on one song). They didn't really call it the Byrds, but many concert promoters and venues advertised it as the Byrds. McGuinn and Hillman weren't happy with this lineup, but they kicked off their set with a killer performance of "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" which is Gene's song. It also said the performances of this band were hit and miss, depending on Gene's condition at the time. I was lucky enough to catch him on a good night.

D.B., thegoldenyear, Dee Zee and 2 others like this.
  12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

McGuinn Clark and Hillman - live in Japanese TV and also interviewed - just surfaced... just when you think you’ve seen it all!

13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Cool. Seems like they did a lot of TV on that tour.

indigo_m and zobalob like this.
  14. Raoul V.

Just surfaced? I have this on an old VHS tape

zobalob likes this.
  15. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

How is that relevant?

indigo_m likes this.
  16. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yup, agree. But the old CDs are out there quite cheap in secondhand racks, I think. Might be a useful way to pass a rainy afternoon.

17. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Uh-oh... here we go again - needle drop alert on a track I've been listening to for 10+ years. Another late night headphone job... :rolleyes:

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Are you in the UK? The Edsels are not at all easy to find in secondhand racks in the US. I'd be quite surprised if I ever saw one here.

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Same or better quality?

20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

If it's better quality then please upload to YouTube - it's a great find!

I have the Edsel Sweetheart of the Rodeo and I've just got myself a turntable so will have a listen.

I spun the Nyteflyte tracks from Lost Studio Tracks last night and they really sounded good, better then the CD to my ears. I love that session. I also played Another Dimension last night, was an interesting listen.

21. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Listening to this first press vinyl yesterday...GeneParsons and Clarence White make for an awesome rhythm section!
    I know the views are less than stellar, but I love it.

Love this track...rocks! Some great basslines.

Fido...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the silliest import cover ever? Here....

[​IMG]

Hall Cat, DmitriKaramazov and Maggie like this.
  22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It's one of my favorite Byrds albums, behind only Notorious, Mr Tambourine Man, and Fifth Dimension. Honestly, it's one of my most played and most cherished albums by anybody.

Ma Kelly and lemonade kid like this.
  23. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I love Ballad, played it. A lot the summer of 1970 while working the summer at college. The school had a music room with huge Altec speakers and you could go in there and play an album really loud. Great album really.

Maggie and lemonade kid like this.
  24. If it was WVU , I was there!

25. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Ballad is an amazing album made better by the bonus tracks - all of which are worthwhile. Definitely one of their best albums, nothing groundbreaking - just beautiful playing and performances.

DmitriKaramazov, Dee Zee and Maggie like this.