Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

Long time ago, but I think the Gene/Wilbury story first cropped up in the Byrd zine Chronicles. Just a jokey remark from Gene or Saul Davis? Who knows. I'm sure it was dismissed, not to long ago that there was no validity to it. Might have been in Rogan's last tome. Another rumour at the same time was that Gene was hoping to do an album with Rick Danko. That sounded feasible, probably fell through because of lack of finance. Davis I believe was doing his best to get Gene on record.
    Gene did I believe pal around a lot with Dillard and Davis. As stated soon after MC and H he we stayed with Davis in Hawaii. In 1974 they both took part in the Lennon jam sessions at the Record Plant. Shannon was also said to be lined up to appear on the sadly never to be realised second Gene/Carla album.

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Around the time of his passing, I was in a Facebook group with a bunch of music guys from Nashville, who were swapping Doug stories from seeing him around town in his twilight years. Hair-raising stuff.

3. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Firstly, I'm a Byrds novice but can anyone tell me if 'Turn Turn Turn' was ever released on CD (and if so any easy identifiers please) with the title track and 'He Was A Friend Of Mine' in true stereo? I'm thinking both tracks would be hard panned vocals right and instruments left (or vice versa)? Thank you in advance! :)

4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m pretty sure Turn Turn Turn the song was never mixed to stereo. But I may be proven wrong here.

6. Dee Zee

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Pseudo-stereo with vocals slightly to one side and instruments slightly to the other.

When In Rome likes this.
  8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

+1

The addition of Marty Stuart is a stroke of inspired musical genius.

Bonddm and Hep Alien like this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

On a more serious note, this is of course a convenient anniversary for McGuinn to observe, since it doesn't involve Crosby and therefore avoids the trappings of a full-scale Byrds reunion. Still, I note that Crosby's European tour wraps up five days earlier, so there's at least a theoretical possibility of him turning up for a token encore of "Mr. Tambourine Man" or "Turn! Turn! Turn!".

pablo fanques and zobalob like this.
  11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Wings had 2 Dennys.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

13. ShockControl

Just spun my alternate universe Fifth Dimension:

5D
    Wild Mountain Thyme
    Mr. Spaceman
    The Day Walk
    Psychodrama City
    I Know My Rider

Eight Miles High
    Hey Joe
    I See You
    What's Happening
    John Riley
    Why (45 version)

Bonddm and peachyg72 like this.
  14. Dee Zee

Although I like all those additional songs especially the Why?!?! 45 mix, I couldn’t live without Captain Soul and I Come and Stand at Every Door. Essential to me.

zobalob and Alien Reg like this.
  15. ShockControl

You are welcome to them, but I think they are both kitsch.

Ben Toscano likes this.
  16. Dee Zee

A war protest song is kitsch?

Ran's poem Kız Çocuğu (The Girl Child) conveys a plea for peace from a seven-year-old girl, ten years after she has perished in the atomic bomb attack at Hiroshima. It has achieved popularity as an anti-war message and has been performed as a song by a number of singers and musicians both in Turkey and worldwide; it is also known in English by various other titles, including I come and Stand at Every Door, I Unseen and Hiroshima Girl.

anth67, D.B., Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you are an Egg member, can you purchase more than you need for yourself now?

18. pablo fanques

Unfortunately I posted before I discovered that little caveat. Looks like I will be waiting for the show to open to the public but I’m definitely going. My wife sings in an alt country band that wouldn’t exist had it not been for Sweetheart

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

As long as there was Nez there still would have been alt country.

20. pablo fanques

That’s very true and I’m seeing HIM at the Beacon on June 22nd. Who would have thunk this was possible even a year ago. I’m blown away

21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Fairport only had one. :D

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  22. ShockControl

That's exactly why.

23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

5 days should be enough to recover from the jet lag... But it's 50 years later and is McGuinn really still trying to avoid/shake off Crosby?

AlienRendel likes this.
  24. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Based on what we see publicly from their Twitter interactions, then no - the two are very cordial towards each other, retweeting each other's activities & occasionally posting something complimentary about the other.

We know that David is keen to work with Roger/Chris, but I haven't seen Roger comment either way - it may be that he is reticent about anything which impinges upon the original Byrds' legacy but, like everyone, I'm only guessing as to why it's not happening. The one thing that seems plain, from the Twitter stuff I mention above, is that it's not lack of personal warmth or regard that's keeping them apart right now.

25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Okay, that's nice to hear.

D.B. likes this.