Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Mike played with County Funk? As in the band that did Apart of Me? When did he drum for them? Never knew that!

2. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

He plays drums (what else?) on tunes "Cool Country Breeze" and "Why Won't We Listen To Our Heart?" on their 2011 CD "Zuma". Other players on these songs are Jock Bartley, Mark Andes, Hal Paris and Judy Rudin. I think the recordings on this CD are from the early 70s but were not released until 2011.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Ma Kelly likes this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If Hillman, who has the utmost respect for and the training of a Bluegrass player's sense of time, thought Clarke was good enough for the FBB's, then I think he probably was.

I'd agree he was inconsistent early on, but even then showed intuitive flashes of brilliance: The cymbals on Bells of Rhymney, the propulsive roll through the instrumental break of "Feel A Whole Lot Better", the entire "8 Miles High". Remember too his drums were never recorded very well, or at least not in a way that conveyed his character as a drummer.

This is not an easy song to nail down and keep grooving:

4. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

An article from the UK mag Pop Weekly, August 21, 1965. Jim has a slide rule, Gene lives in Bonner Springs and has no family (;)), Chris likes to keep to himself in a corner, they grew their hair out "8 or 9 years ago." From 1960s Music Magazines blog.
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Hep Alien likes this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I had no idea he was an actor

Skip Battyn - IMDb

His name (Battyn) pops up in the credits of a Combat episode. I think this is him:

[​IMG]

For those interested in symbolism, he plays a German infiltrator masquerading as a GI

7. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Mmm. Not quite convinced. We need someone to photoshop a mustache and flowing locks. And replace the carbine with a bass.

8. Raoul V.

Skip

Partial Filmography

Actor

1. "The Mothers-In-Law"
      - Guess Who's Coming Forever (1969) TV Episode .... Haggard J. Haggard
    2. Coogan's Bluff (1968) .... Omega (customer at Pigeon-Toed Orange Peel)
    3. "Combat!"
      - The Masquers (1967) TV Episode .... Season 5 Episode 21 ....American Soldier
    4. Banjoman (1975) (as the Byrds) With McGuinn, Parsons and White
    5. A Sci Fi Movie THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE (1967) (a.k.a. ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH)

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’ve listened from Mr. Tambourine Man until Sweetheart Of The Rodeo, at that point after that album only McGuinn was left. Are the albums after SHOTR worth listening to? Next would be Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

YES

11. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

I don't think it was ever mentioned in this thread that Dean Webb from The Dillards passed away last month - he helped The Byrds with the vocal arrangements for "Mr. Tambourine Man." Nice interview with him from a few years ago in The Medium, including a few Byrds mentions:

The Dillards' Secret Weapon: In Step With Mandolin Maestro Dean Webb

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Is this the same guy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the Combat episode "The Letter". He has no lines and is killed by a grenade in the opening teaser. The role is not credited, so no mention on IMDb.

Both scenes were shot on location in Franklin Canyon (same place the Stones and Simon/Garf shot album covers; also the opening credits for The Andy Griffith Show were done there). Skip/whoever it is could have shot both scenes in an afternoon (I presume it's a stuntman who actually gets killed by the grenade explosion).

13. Raoul V.

There's a video on YouTube of a pre-Byrds Skip Battyn who lip-syncs his "Searchin'" ane "She Acts Like We Never Had Met" singles. He doesn't look at all like this actor.

Hep Alien and AlienRendel like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I like Untitled and Farther Along best of their latter day work. Quite likely better than Sweetheart actually.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Yeah, I was going by this photo and got confused... Ironically enough, the actor does resemble Gary Paxton

[​IMG]

Besides, the GI's helmet got blown off by the grenade and he has blond hair

[​IMG]

I need to recheck for Skip

BRB

ETA: Well I just did a cursory recheck and I don't see any possibles who resemble that lantern jawed Battin in the video clip. (for anyone who cares, the actor I thought was him was named John Neilson/Nealson). Maybe someday I'll rewatch it to spot SB.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  16. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Here's how I found them...

Dr Byrds: mostly the album sounds muddy and badly produced but I really enjoy Old Blue and Gentle Ways, the rest is a mixed bag
    Ballad Of Easy Rider: Hands down my favourite post Notorious Byrd Brothers album, the 97 reissue with the bonus tracks really elevates it and the production is beautiful - must have!
    Untitled: McGuinn shines on the studio cuts - Just A Season, All The Things and Chestnut Mare - outside of these the alternate takes of Lover of The Bayou, Yesterday's Train and All The Things are also great. I really don't like the live stuff from this line-up overall, especially when they butcher the classic tracks
    Byrdmaniax: McGuinn is still producing the goods on I Trust, Pale Blue and Kathleen's Song - but you only still listening for his stuff
    Farther Along: I like Precious Kate and Bugler, Antique Sandy is interesting.... but yeah this is their worst for me
    Byrds: You have to hear this to see what the original band did when they reunited, it's not great, it's not magical but it's worth your time for Gene Clark and David Crosby's contributions

Man at C&A, CCrider92 and Hep Alien like this.
  17. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Dr. Byrds has great material but was very poorly produced by Bob Johnston; it sounds like demos. Easy Rider and Untitled are my favorites of the post Usher era.

vanhooserd, Man at C&A and YardByrd like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Has anyone ever transcribed the conversation after It's No Use 3 on the 2 cd Preflyte (and who says what)?--it's really interesting

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Do you mean the one where they're listening to the playback of "Boston"?

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep!

indigo_m likes this.
  21. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

It sounds like Gene says "what?" And the person in the booth (Dickson?) says "that was written during your formative years" (presumably referring to "Boston") to which Gene replies "hmmm, formative years? I haven't even got to that point yet!". I'm not sure who's doing the little "doos" along with the song. McGuinn?

D.B. and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever Well-Known Member

Yeah! Well said.

23. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Since seeing David Crosby in two shows the other week, I've been on a massive Crosby bender. Listening to Crosby's Byrdssongs; Stranger in a strange land, I see you, What's happening?!?!, Psychodrama City, Why, Renaissance Fair, Everybody's been Burned, It Happens Each Day, Lady Friend, Draft Morning, Tribal Gathering, Dolphin's Smile and Triad (together all mighty impressive) followed by CSN(Y) and IICORMN, I get the feeling that throughout 65 and 66 he is searching for his sound, his voice, when suddenly, after Lady Friend, he really finds it. Take away the Gary Usher production and songs like Tribal Gathering and Dolphin's Smile could have been made and sung by CSN. I know that Crosby in interviews has mentioned that the Byrds missed out on some great songs (Wooden Ships, Guinevere) when they fired him, but has he in other interviews commented upon the development of his songwriting craft during 66-68?

Hep Alien, ash1 and AlienRendel like this.
  24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

not the first time "Crosby" and "bender" have been in the same sentence...

Mugrug12 and indigo_m like this.
  25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Random thoughts. Thinking about screening Easy Rider and how the two main characters are a lot like McGuinn and Crosby.