cable elevators

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rickinfalconcove, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickinfalconcove

rickinfalconcove Active Member Thread Starter

I'm currently very happy with my stereo system. I've spent a lot of money on it over the years and to me it sounds great. No regrets.

But I'm always tweeking. So I have a simple question: do cable elevators really help the overall sound? I'm skeptical but open-minded. What do you think?

Thanks.

2. karma67

karma67 Forum Resident

nope imo

3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I'd be very, very surprised if elevating your cables would do anything but elevate your cables. If you want to elevate cables, an elevator ride is free.

Max, bever70 and vwestlife like this.
  4. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Snake Oil.

Razakoz, vwestlife and Fruff76 like this.
  5. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I elevated my speaker wire (8ft pair) with 1 quart clear glass jars and noticed the system sounded less bright when removed a year later so back to ground zero for me.

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

MGW, CMT, mibrighton and 1 other person like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Like people who don't believe cables make a difference but are crazy about tube rolling, your video will present a conundrum to many members here.

Because, some will hail Grundman as one of the top elite mastering geniuses in the world but at the same time will want to burn alive witches and devils that use that kind of device.

Will they now start flaming Grundman or pretend this video never happened and push it under the carpet together with the cable lifters?:biglaugh:

Faced with such "does not compute", "irrational" situation, will their heads short circuit and explode like overloaded androids/robot heads?:evil:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    bever70 likes this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

W
    Without knowing the quality of your system hard to comment. Your profile is blank. They noticeable effects on a $100k vs 1k system will be different. The 100k will reveal more.

Describe your system. There may be more bang for the buck depending on the system rather cable ground decoupling structures.

hi_watt, Bananajack and MGW like this.
  9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I use cable stairs, because I want my cables to stay in good shape.

10. fish

fish Senior Member

timind, hi_watt and Uglyversal like this.
  11. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

All of my cables are kept off the floor with helium balloons. I simply tie the cable to the balloon and up they go.

12. fish

fish Senior Member

Her's?

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

While listening to headphones do they sound any different if the cable is moved to and from, contact / no contact with anything?

Mr. Bewlay and Eric242 like this.
  14. Brad2021hk

Brad2021hk Forum Resident

This is why blind hero worship is inherently a flawed concept. People can have both good ideas and bad ideas at the same time.

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Absolutely helps, just like using a silver marker around the edges of your vinyl improves the sound. Or was that green markers with CD's? I get so confused sometimes. :confused:

Scratcha, vwestlife and patient_ot like this.
  16. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

It's easy enough to try raising your cables with Legos, blocks, scrap wood etc. Why not try it and gain first hand knowledge?

Art K, Ontheone, AaronW and 1 other person like this.
  17. 30 ounce

30 ounce Forum Resident

I use cable lifters to keep my cable runs neat and away from power cords. Actually had a noise problem from one of my 18 foot long runs (preamp to power amps) laying on the power cord. Elevating it 4” with cable lifters solved the problem.

18. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The one time I tried elevating the cables in my system (with cardboard TP tubes), I didn't notice a difference.

19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

If there is no audible change resulting from a system tweak then, in effect, there was no change of relevance to any listener--regardless of what tweak we're talking about.

That article is actually quite interesting. The argument makes sense. It's persuasive. The thing is, he's only argued that surrounding your cables with air rather than another material is best. He hasn't attempted to quantify the difference it makes nor has he attempted to provide evidence of whether the amount of difference is an audible difference. Without that, it's as I say above: If there is no audible change resulting from a system tweak then, in effect, there was no change of relevance to any listener--regardless of what tweak we're talking about. The difference may, in fact, but audible in this case (or it may not), but that article doesn't address the issue.

For what it's worth, my speaker cables are a trifle too short, so, by default they are pulled just barely taut and up off the ground. I doubt that I could hear a difference if they were touching the ground, but to make them do so would require changing the position of the speakers and that, I am sure, would have an audible impact, so I'd never know if the cables touching the ground made a difference.

Shawn likes this.
  20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Did you match that with the right brand of gear?

Bananajack likes this.
  21. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Have you ever seen an elevator that wasn't held up by cables? How do you think elevators go up and down in tall buildings? By employing hamsters running inside squeaky wheels?

Jeez, some posts on this forum are just absurd. :rolleyes:

Actually, the following is the correct answer. High end stereos are for playing with as much as listening to.

I can easily see this happening:

22. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

I believe he was using Scott gear Uglyversal.
    Cable riser? Only good if I'm the one selling. Otherwise just a bunch of garbage.

BillWojo

patient_ot likes this.
  23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

100% utter BS...

just like ridiculous cables and wires

Ro-Go, Razakoz, csgreene and 2 others like this.
  24. fish

fish Senior Member

I believe this is only relative on carpet and other flooring that can build up static charges or have excessive vibration. Certainly helps to keep dust and dirt off.

As far as the Shunyata DFSS Dark Field Suspension System for $350 or the Audioquest Fog Lifters for $150? Haven't heard them.

If I needed them Im not using TP Rolls, 2X4 scraps or shoeboxes so would need to buy something not ugly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.