Calgary Folk Music Festival - Day 1 - Costello/Nieve set list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Just got back from day 1 of the Calgary Folk Music Festival.

Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky Thunder were the second last performers on main stage this evening. I was blown away. After watching those guitar players, violin player, and Ricky with his mandolin, I wanted to come home here and cut off my wrists. :laugh: Or take more guitar lessons. They received a couple of standing ovations.

The final performers on main stage this evening were Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve. Unfortunately the Folk Fest couldn't bring the whole band (The Imposters), but Elvis and Steve did not disappoint. They were fantastic!

BTW, I was on one of the tarps at the front of the stage. I should have some photos of Elvis/Steve and Ricky Scaggs in a day or so. I have an Nikon FG camera.

Here is the set list.

1. Rocking Horse Road
    2. Accidents Will Happen
    3. Brilliant Mistake
    4. Shot With His Own Gun
    5. In The Darkest Place
    6. Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes
    7. 45
    8. All This Useless Beauty
    9. New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    10. Someone Took My Words Away (beautiful song from his upcoming new album) :thumbsup:
    11. Still
    12. Alison
    13. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got A Hold On Me

Encore

14. Watching The Detectives (with electric guitar)
    15. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
    16. North

This was the last show of the North American tour, for now. Last night in Edmonton and three nights ago in Vancouver it was just Elvis and Steve.

Good night! :)

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
    Sounds like you caught one heck of a show.
    The Ricky Skaggs set sounds great too. I have one of his CDs with Kentucky Thunder, "Bluegrass Rules", and it really smokes!

Dan C

3. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Great setlist... be sure to post the pictures!

4. Chris R

My girlfriend and I stood inches outside of the artist area backstage after Elvis and Steve finished their set. I'm working in "Site Transportation". My girlfriend is with another crew. We have access to everything backstage except where the artists go on and come off stage. We stood around for about 1/2 hour. At this point I thought that Elvis was probably quickly taken away by one of the transportation buses back to the hotel.

A few minutes before we decided to leave, I saw Steve Nieve come out, get on one of the buses and leave. These two younger women got his autograph and were squealing away. I wasn't fast enough.

As we were leaving Friday evening, one the Site Transport leaders told me a story. Turns out, that about 1 minute after my girlfriend and I decided to leave, Elvis Costello came out, went up to the side of main stage and signed autographs for about 25 minutes. He was still around, very generously doing the meet and greet backstage.

I had several of the Ryko CDs with me including "Live At The Elmocambo", plus my early Demon copy of "Girls Girls Girls". Don't think I'll ever get that close to Mr. Costello again. :(

It's only the second time Elvis has played Calgary and Edmonton since 1978.

p.s. Friday night main stage included some fine performances by Jane Siberry (with a piano player and backing vocalist), Michelle Shocked solo, and Daniel Lanois with drummer. :thumbsup:

5. Chris R

I'll post a wrap up on Days 3 (yesterday) (Al Stewart was amazing!, Ani Difranco was very good too) and Day 4, today, tomorrow. I should have some pics developed by Tueday for posting as well.

Off to the festival. Forecast 30C/90F. Sun, sun sun! Woo hoo. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.