Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know we have been discussing this in the a RHCP thread but I thought it might be appropriate to start a new thread for those not following that one and to bring attention to this particular album title.

Elusive discs list the following:
    180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl Double LP! Vinyl Cut by Bernie Grundman!

I'm not sure if it's remastered, etc. At that price and if they are going to have it done at BGM, I'd assume it is a remaster but that is only an assumption. Honestly, it's not enough detail to draw too much conclusion.

Also, if I saw it correctly, this has the same cat # as the last/current Californication vinyl.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Here's Elusive Disc's blurb:
    Sadly, there is no mention of improved dynamic range (if there is any).

I'm hoping for the best, but the blurb is so generic that I can't help feeling that it's not going to really improve upon what we've already got.

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Well alright! :goodie:

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Why would BG use the old master?

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

This would be my question as well. Why even contract him out if you aren't trying to improve on the old mastering? That would be a waste of money for WB I assume.

Also, I've seen Elusive Disc list Bernie Grundman as the mastering engineer as recently as the One Hot Minute reissue and then it was pulled down. Oddly enough, yesterday Bernie wasn't mentioned and today he is.

I'm hoping for the best but I would assume there would be a better press release for this lp considering it's their best selling album. It's really not hard to write an accurate press release.

6. Hoping for the best on this release. I feel that with the price point listed ($36.99) and the mention of Grundman, they may do the right thing and remaster with the improved dynamic range.

Maybe as time goes on they will add more to the info. Would be a tremendous release if done properly!

Here's to hoping.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Was this an analog or digital recording to start with?

8. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

analogue recording, mixed digitally i believe?

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Google and ye shall receive:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/jim.htm

48 tracks of analog tape dumped into ProTools then mixed (practically in mono) to 30ips 2 track analog tape. The original engineer talks about the dynamics that don't survive to CD (or the original vinyl). Let's hope Bernie used that tape and let the dynamics breath!

Simon A and VinylCountdown like this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

P.S. I love this album. Fingers crossed.

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

The pressing plant that manufactured the cd is twenty minutes from my home. When I purchased this new in 99, I had Canton separates in my vehicle at the time. It was the first disc that sounded horribly harsh and figured it may be defective. My call to Specialty led to a meeting with a rep that gave me a mini tour of the plant. Upon discussing my problem, he proceeds to pull out a tape box with notes pertaining to the recording. In highlighted words: MASTERED HOT! :D

12. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

the pressing plant had master tapes with them?

13. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Now this is a release that unambiguously is in need of capable remastering. Here's hoping that a new appreciation for this music, which sounds crappy in all existing forms, will be possible.

14. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

"Parallel Universe"

[​IMG]

- Top: A rough mixdown from multitracks ripped from Rock Band. Not what a final mix would look like but an idea as to the dynamics possible from the track.

- Middle: The rough mix bootleg. The best sounding version of the album.

- Bottom: Retail version. Yikes.

VinylCountdown and vonwegen like this.
  15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

after this thread i went and got the rough mix bootleg in lossless...sounds great.

i removed "get on top" and "emmit remmus"....and i added under the bridge,aeroplane,and my friends...

clocks in at 76min :righton:

16. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Interesting thread! Hope the LP turns out to be a good mastering.

17. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

OMG, that's criminal :wtf:

18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

What's the thought process behind adding 3 songs from 2 other albums? They don't sound anything like Californication. Do you not like those other albums?

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

you'd be surprised how well they fit in....under the bridge is my fav track from blood sugar magic and aeroplane and my friends are my favorite from one hot minute...

i did something cool for under the bridge.. i put it right after the throw away track "right on time"....
    you know how a lot of albums do that...they put a throwaway track right before a masterpiece? like bungalo bill before while my guitar gently wheeps...or pigs on the wing before dogs...

20. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I beg to differ that "Right on time" is throwaway. it's one of the best songs on the album and was an absolute show stopper live

21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

This is the one solid Peppers album :).

Simon A and pexie like this.
  22. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Right on time and throwaway do not belong in the same sentence.

23. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Agreed....killer track

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

well... its the shortest track on the album at 1:50 so i just figured it was a filler track...

it's an ok track but maybe your over hyping it?
    i like fat dance better.

25. jude7265

jude7265 Forum Resident

Oh, please let this be a proper remaster! I've been waiting years for this to be corrected!