Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

I got my copy a few weeks ago from Amazon. Agree about the packaging not being as great as it could have been, but my copy had a bigger issue: there was a pretty deep dent on the playing surface of one of the discs. Fortunately, amazon offered to send me another copy of the record free of charge.
    Anyone else had this happening to their records?

2. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I bought my copy at Soundstage direct asking they opened it before shipping so as to avoid getting a defective copy and seam splits

3. jb412

jb412 Forum Resident

Amoeba Records in Hollywood currently has a few copies of the LP with the blue sticker on it and the '1999' date on the bottom...this *is* the new Grundman mastered version, right? I need to get this one...

4. pw8888

pw8888 Active Member

thanks for all those great info !!

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just remembered that that the lacquer is actually cut by Bellman. I'm spinning this tonight.

I really hope that By the Way comes next and maybe Live at Hyde Park.

love4another and crassus515 like this.
  6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Every time I look at the LP artwork, I want to combine that image with the Zappa Hot Rats front cover!

7. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I just ordered the 2012 reissue from Amazon.ca but they shipped me the 1999 original...not less than 5 minutes after opening the box, I had been to their website to process a return due to them sending the wrong product. The only option was to do an exchange, hopefully when they see the reason for my return they will be careful to send the right version...otherwise this could go on for a while.

So...beware ordering this from Amazon.ca for the time being.

8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

After my initial copy was returned due to it being defective (last year), Amazon has sent me three copies of the '99 original.

The UPC codes and catalog numbers are identical, so Amazon has no way to differenciate the two versions.

The most-recent copy I received from Amazon was last week, so this problem is ongoing.

I'll hold off until I can buy one in person. Constantly having to send the same LP back to Amazon is getting old.

9. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Buy one on Soundstage direct, there was a link somewhere here. They had both and both identified

10. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I should have my replacement from Amazon.ca tomorrow...they specifically placed an order for "Californication (2012 version)", so we'll see if they send the right thing...otherwise I'll find a way to just get a refund on it, send it back, and find another way to get it, perhaps a local store has it. Much as Soundstage has a good rep, it doesn't make any sense to order a record from there to Canada due to shipping cost.

11. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Ordered from Amazon. Listening to the free mp3 version now. This is the first time in my life hearing this album. Wow does it sound BAD. All the legends are true this is one awful sounding album.

I fully expect the new vinyl to be a night and day difference.

Think I'll stop listening now before I blow my eardrums out.

12. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the new LP from Amazon back in 2012...
    http://amzn.com/B00000JQ0E
    It's a shame if people are ordering from the same product page and getting the wrong version.

Also, as already mentioned upthread, Chris Bellman cut the lacquers at Bernie Grundman mastering. Maybe a Gort can change the thread title to reflect this?

13. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

And yes the new vinyl is a night and day difference. This has to be the definitive version.

Jam757 likes this.
  14. frubsen

frubsen New Member

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but, does anyone know where in Canada I can order the re-issue?

It seems Amazon.ca is selling the original copy and not the 180g re-issue.

Thanks

15. AnteEB

AnteEB Active Member

Hi! I have all their studio albums on vinyl, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

First of all, the original Californication pressing is awful so I'm glad I found this thread. I will definitely order the reissue, thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about the reissue.

I have an original promo copy of Freaky Styley and I can say that it sounds awesome. I don't have any complaints here, I definitely recommend it.

I also have the 2003 reissue of One Hot Minute and it is indeed great. I haven't heard the original CD but I had an original vinyl pressing that I sold. I don't exactly remember what I thought was better with the 2003 180g but it must have been better since I sold the original! :)

The original pressing of the debut album also sounds great on vinyl so all of you who like that album should definitely get it.

SergioRZ and mikemoon like this.
  16. Cthulthu

Cthulthu New Member

So, what is the "good" version os BSSM's reissue?

17. mikemoon

The last reissue or the German reissue that was done years back are both really good. Whichever is cheaper and you will be happy.

ellingtonic and johnnypaddock like this.
  18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed 100% . I slightly prefer the most recent reissue, but they are both outstanding.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. mikemoon

I don't keep a lot of duplicates but I did for this one. I think I had the same opinion originally and right now I just say both sound great. We know the German was cut from a tape copy. Unfortunately, we don't know if the reissue was cut from analog or digital as it was never really disclosed. It seems they used Record Industry for the pressing but no mastering initials (originally was supposed to be Grundman or Bellman) and RI cuts from high res transfers of the OMT but as we both know this can sound amazing.

20. Cthulthu

Cthulthu New Member

21. mikemoon

I know this one is the good remaster: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/red...-sugar-sex-magik-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

But from Discogs these should be fine:

http://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magik/release/5750524

http://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magik/release/3336940

http://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magik/release/2891664

I wonder if there is a difference between the first 2, the EU version seems somewhat different but they are all pressed in EU from what I can gather.

22. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

This is confusing. Is this thread about Californication, or Blood Sugar Sex Magic? Or RHCP vinyl in general?

Trapper J likes this.
  23. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

where can I get the Californication vinyl?

24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Try Amazon

25. CBERMEOS

CBERMEOS New Member

Hello!

Does anyone knows if there are mastering differences between the 1999 US Californication Vinyl and the German press of the same year?

Thanks !

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.