Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Mithras Tauroctonos

Mithras Tauroctonos New Member

So, after reading most of this thread I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon (ASIN B00000JQ0E) and 2012 showed up today as expected! Beautiful CB in poly-lined inner sleeves. I was a little worried it might be a 1999 because theres another Amazon listing (ASIN B010ODF192) which seems to be specific for 2012.
    I don't think there's a 2015 at all, rather the 1999 is still on production since people on discogs keep updating the stamper numbers and there are a lot still available, so 2012 is still the one to get as long as you know for sure what you're getting.

edit: Huge thanks to @Michelle66 for all the info on both versions (page 10).

pexie likes this.
  2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So I FINALLY got a hold of the 2012 version. Was it worth the wait? Well, it's got a nice soundstage, and at least the end of Parallel universe no longer sounds like an army of dentist drills on the attack. Bellman did a great job with some seriously deficient material.

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It might be the greatest difference in sound quality from a CD versus vinyl in the history of recorded music.

Spitfire likes this.
  4. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

The 1999 German pressing remains in print to this day. It's basically the CD on vinyl, just re-EQed a little to slightly tame the treble. Needless
    to say, it's hard on the ears at high volumes.

The 1999 US pressing was made in a limited run and fetches rather high resale prices. People have said very good things about it (i.e. that it's rich in bass and punchy) which means it should be at least somewhat better than the German pressing. I don't own a US original to compare.

What I'm most interested in is how the US original stacks up against the forum favourite 2012 Chris Bellman-mastered reissue.

paulisdead likes this.
  5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

BUMP

If any one here has an original U.S. ‘99 pressing and what’s the difference between that and the 2012 cut?

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  6. djhurley92

djhurley92 Forum Resident

Hey, has anyone recently bought this on Amazon.com? I’m based in UK but been looking to import a US copy of the CB cut for a while.

The Amazon.com listing identified it as ‘Import’ so I’m worried if I order that it’ll just be the EU version. Anyone bought this recently and can confirm it is the CB cut?

7. MartinWarrilow

MartinWarrilow Forum Resident

This was my experience a couple of years back:

I'm in the UK, and originally ordered the blue sticker edition from a Discogs seller in the Netherlands, i went on the specific page for this version, and had to end up retuning it, as it was the standard release. A lot of the listings on that page aren't the proper version.

One week ago I spoke with Amazon.ca on live chat, and asked to order with them, If they would send me the 2012 version with the blue sticker. If they didn't have it, then don't bother sending. They said they'd leave a note on my account for when I bought it.

I then tracked the listing on camelcamelcamel, as at $47 the price was too high to buy right then (lowest price it had ever been on there was $24). The next day it dropped down to $24. So I bought it, making it £20 here in the UK including shipping.

And so it arrived today, opened it up. And there it is, the Blue Sticker edition

djhurley92 likes this.
  8. djhurley92

djhurley92 Forum Resident

@MartinWarrilow Thanks, I can see on Discogs someone who ordered the Amazon US version recently got an EU copy, so I'll also track the Amazon.ca link and hope for the best.

9. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Just ordered a 2012 US reissue on Discogs shipping from the UK (I’m in UK) for £24. Description perfectly matches information on this thread so hopeful it’s the correct press. First time using Discogs.

10. Caman

Caman New Member

The only version I've heard is the 2014 remaster on Qobuz. Not great, but don't have a reference to other versions.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of
    the best CD or digital download out there? (do not have a vinyl setup). Thanks!

11. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Well got my copy of Californication from Discogs and it’s the 1999 version. My first experience with Discogs very disappointed. Hope returns process goes smoothly... Any help on where to get the 2012 I’m in the UK.

12. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

13. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Thanks. Looking at the image it’s got no warnerbros website on back, so could be the original master. Meantime I ordered another copy from an eBay shop after specifically asking if there’s a warnerbrothers.com on back. They replied yes it has and still I received the wrong one. So frustrating! There is one on eBay now which clearly is the 2012 Bellman at £39, too much for me. I’ll wait.

14. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I just found a Chris Bellman mastered copy at Barnes and Nobles of all places. I asked at the counter if I could open the wrap (not shrink wrap but a plastic loose sleeve) and check the matrix. Sure enough, there was CB signature initials. Mint record. Can't wait to spin this and note differences in all the other crappily mastered versions I have heard of this album.

Soundslave and OldMusicOnVinyl1 like this.
  15. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Just a piece of advice for anyone ordering vinyl off Discogs- NEVER trust the pictures or even the listings- ALWAYS ask the sellers for specific details about their copy and ask for PICTURES (sent to your email)...

VQR and pexie like this.
  16. Pali Gap

Can someone PLEASE clarify- there are only (2) 180g pressings that include the blue sticker- one being the bad(?) 1999 original US version and the other being the recommended 'CB' deadwax 2012 US remaster?

Thanks!

17. skads_187

skads_187 Forum Resident

I believe so yes.

My question is, are the ones on amazon.com/.ca/etc the 2019 EU version or the 2012 version, does anyone know?

18. Bear Bryant

Bear Bryant Forum Resident

I ordered from Amazon and got the 2012 Chris Bellman version about a month ago. I'm new to this vinyl thing and my ears aren't great and I'd still agree with some comments above that the improvement in this version over the original CD is astonishing.

19. skads_187

skads_187 Forum Resident

lovely, I wish I would have known, I thought this was all gone since it was limited. I already own a copy, but I bought it used for higher price. lesson learned I guess. Never assume...

20. Pali Gap

I don't think Amazon can be trusted to send the 2012 version- right now it says 'Import' next to the title, which indicates it's probably the EU version. Also there are several 1-star reviews from 2020 with people complaining about the Lp skipping..?...:/
    If I was in the U.S. I'd go ahead and buy a couple to find out, free returns and all, but I'm not...

21. JobiWanKenobi

JobiWanKenobi Active Member

Hey just a heads up to anyone who still cares about this, I ordered 3 copies each a week apart from Amazon, making sure I stuck to ASIN B00000JQ0EI free shippin* and returns so I threw them all on a credit card and thought why not. 2 shipped from one warehous3 and 1 shipped from a completely different warehouse on the other side of the country, so I had hope. All three arrived, and not one of them was the 2012 version. The record labels matched the pattern of th3 cover and ended in matrix ended in HL on the deadwax. So I sen5 em all back for free and was refunded. Then I ordered Californication online from Barnes & Noble, just 1 copy, on the website it states it’s the 2012 version but I was sceptical. Got the package just last Friday and it was the 2012 pressing!!! Brand new and pristine!! Sounds excellent, so any of you out there, give Barne & Noble .com a try, it worked for me!

musictoad likes this.
  22. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I picked mine up from Barnes & Noble as well in the physical store on sale no less! So perhaps they ordered a large cache of these presses originally.

JobiWanKenobi likes this.
  23. Pali Gap

Did the B&N copy include the 'Limited Edition 180g' blue sticker on the cover?

JobiWanKenobi likes this.
  24. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Just went online and they only show the cd as being available

25. Pali Gap

Did the B&N copy include the 'Limited Edition 180g' blue sticker on the cover?