Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

Also tracking this thread to read some reviews before I pull the trigger

2. I'm hitting F5 on this thread every two minutes... Californication is one of my all-time ever favourite albums and I can't wait to find out if there's actually a good-sounding version. I would probably die.

3. snork

snork New Member

Seriously this is killing me! Surely someone has had a chance to hear it by now. Throw us a bone!!

4. travislopes

travislopes New Member

5. This is even killing ME! I think I am going to turn into a fan of RHCP, and buy this album so I can merely post something about it here! :O)

Seriously, I have heard so much so far about this particular old CD being the textbook of brickwalling, I've been following this thread just out of curiosity about the new one!

6. snork

snork New Member

You the man travis!! Honestly, it's not night and day like I expected but that's a really purposefully distorted portion of the song. How are the vocals on that track? Maybe a little clip of Otherside with vocals?

7. travislopes

travislopes New Member

8. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The chorus of This Velvet Glove.

9. travislopes

travislopes New Member

Check it out.

10. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

My work is blocking those links, can someone at least talk about what they heard?

11. That may not SEEM like a huge improvement, but my God, is it ever. That sounds loud on its own (it's the loudest moment on the album, anyway, thus my suggestion to upload this part) but it's NOTHING compared to the CD version. Here's a version switching between both (travislopes' rip is a bit too fast, so they're not in sync). I think you'll readily find which version is which.

http://soundcloud.com/pandas-in-mali/comparison-1/s-utJJB

We know Californication was mixed loud, but notice how there is NO audible clipping on the vinyl version and how you can actually hear the drums. The drums do have transients. The vinyl version is slightly bassier, too. 0:45 - 0:58 says it all. It's not unconcievable that this is how the mastertapes (and what the Chilis wanted to hear) sounded. I predict this is the best version of Californication we'll ever get.

12. Here is the same vinyl sample compared with the bootlegged alternative master (falsely known as the "unmastered" version and previously known as the best-sounding version of the album). Even here, the new vinyl is the clear winner. The "unmastered" just sounds cold and lifeless in comparison. It may seem like just a matter of EQ at first, but when the guitar really starts roaring it becomes obvious, in my opinion. 0:35 - 0:58. That isn't just simply a bass boost.

http://soundcloud.com/pandas-in-mali/parallel-universe-solo-comp-2/s-oXcgZ

13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Very cool, thanks for the samples everybody.

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Definitely the best sounding version I've heard. Can't wait for one of the top vinyl rippers to do it :)

15. I'm so excited I completely forgot to thank you, traveslopes, for these samples! Much appreciated.

Now to change things up a bit, I compared the Velvet Glove sample to the original vinyl (which is just the CD version mastered to vinyl) in case anyone thought it was about the medium. Again, check out the drums! Sorry for it being so chopped up, as I said, tl's rip is running a little too fast.

http://soundcloud.com/pandas-in-mali/compo/s-gDp7Y

And here's a graph that compares a loud peak on the new and the old vinyl. In the bottom waveform (old vinyl), you can see digital clipping reproduced on vinyl (a straight line, but unlike a digital file, it's not horizontal but a little diagonal; this is normal for digital clipping reproduced on an analogue medium). Top waveform (new vinyl) doesn't have that.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3051/neuestextdokument.png

I, for one, am sold.

16. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

17. travislopes

travislopes New Member

For the record, I ripped this with my Sony PS-LX300USB turntable (Yeah. It's not the best, but it works for now.) into Audacity and then just ran the amplify effect with the default value.

18. snork

snork New Member

I think this is well put. I thought I was still hearing some clipping, but maybe that grit in the vocals is the eq or something? This Velvet Glove clip I think does a nice job of showing the richness/depth that little bass boost brings along with the other changes. Thanks for all the effort with the clips! Those comparisons really help bring the difference into perspective.

19. Someone send this record to pbthal QUICK.

Drexler_McStyles likes this.
  20. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

wheres the cheapest place to get it? Amazon has it for $36.....that is really pricy.

funknik likes this.
  21. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

For a 180gram double album? Not really...

I e-mailed BG Mastering again and will let you know if I hear back on what source was used.

22. travislopes

travislopes New Member

That's where I bought it from for $35.60. Worth every penny.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but what would be recommended as a good turntable to use for ripping?

23. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

If I get it, and I rip it, I would be willing to share it with someone if they can show proof they bought it.....but I have no idea if my vinyl ripping skills are great. :)

24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

+1

25. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Has someone listened to this on their main rig yet?