Californication - Reissue - Cut by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know if it's me but I'm pretty confident that this will sound good. I had some doubts at first because of how Warner Bros handled OHM but I have a hard time recalling much of Bellman's or Bernie's work that I wasn't satisfied with. In fact, I'm usually extremely pleased.

I just shake my head at Warner Bros for how they handled OHM especially after how well they did the BSSM reissue. Some of their decision making and promotions are handled poorly. I would prefer the mastering to come from the master tapes , if possible, but if the 24/192 is done right it should sound great.

I put in my order from Soundstage yesterday, $32.92 plus free shipping.

I've taken bigger risk in my life. I'll report back upon playing.

2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Is there not a 2LP black domestic vinyl pressing of OHM done at the same time? Sound Stage Direct have both and it lists the 2LP as WB.

I would obviously go for the 2LP, but just don't have the spare cash for it yet. Maybe after Christmas I'll pick up both Cali and OHM. BSSM is freaking amazing. Reference quality, every track, and whisper quiet on my TT. But wow does Chad's snare ever sound visceral on SH's SA 4LP mastering. Stunning.

3. mikemoon

The 2 LP of OHM that soundstage has should be the European Pressing. Warner Bros Europe originally released this on vinyl if I'm not mistaken, then the same stampers were repressed in 2003 and maybe more recently. My pressing is very nice (European style) pressing on 180 gram vinyl. This should be the Willem '320' Makee mastering.

I agree, Steve and Kevin did a great job on SA. I wish they could have had a shot at the entire catalog using original master tapes. It probably made too much sense to Warner Bros. to pursue that direction. Stadium seemed like a fairly successful vinyl release. I think they over estimated the number of copies for a $100 box set for a modern release though. I guess I should stop being such a Warner Bros. because they at least have tried on some titles and I'm happy with what I have purchased so far.

4. simonux

simonux Custom Title

The 320 is just a code that means that the LP is pressed in Germany, it doesn't identify any mastering engineer.

5. At first, the new rip made me doubt my original emphatic statement that the reissue was a different mastering than the "unmastered" bootleg, so I did another comparison that convinced me I was right. Here's a snippet from "Get on Top", "unmastered" first, reissue second. They sound almost identical except that the "unmastered" version is audibly clipped. There's a little bit of distortion on the reissue too, but that is in the mix. There's definitely none of the "let's push this through the roof" distortion in it.

http://soundcloud.com/pandas-in-mali/05-get-on-top-new-main-mix/s-Xm8BD

6. mikemoon

Sorry, I took the information below and other references on this forum to Willem Makke and 320 and came to the wrong/uncertain conclusion. This interview with Michael Fremer (MF) and Willem Makke (WM) kind of states that it is just possible but not conclusive that he mastered the lp the lps with '320':

MF: One question I wanted to ask you. A lot of the guys who do what you do, have a personal little scribe on the lead out area. Do you?
    WM: No.
    MF: It’s not allowed?
    WM: It’s not allowed.
    MF: Could you put “UMG” (Universal Music Group) on it?
    WM: No. Every factory has a number. In Holland it was 670 and here it is 320.
    MF: So if it has a 320 on it, it was cut in Hanover? And you’re the only person doing…
    WM: No, there are others who have done it…
    MF: But for the most part if it’s contemporary if it’s got the 320..and they won’t let you put your little scribe on it?

Seems like Fremer is stating the '320' makes it likely that he cut it since he was the main engineer but it's certainly not conclusive. Learn something new everyday, that's the purpose.

7. simonux

simonux Custom Title

320 is the number for Germany since the 60's.

From Chris R :

FYI, a Polydor Country Codes refresher.

Austria - 720; Australia - 150; Belgium - 170; Brazil - 200; Canada - 230; Denmark - 300; Far East - 022; France - 380; Germany - 320;
    Great Britain - 420; Hungary - 450; Italy - 520; Luxembourg - 630; Norway - 710; Netherlands - 670; Portugal - 790; South Africa - 960;
    Spain - 850; Sweden - 970; Switzerland - 980; Rest of the World - 000.

8. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

sorry guys, my file got taken down by mediafire (thats what i get for not naming it something subtle) but when im home from work i'll reupload and try to get a copy to all of you.

9. I suggest Sendspace. Mediafire doesn't go by file names afaik but by actual sound recognition. I'm not sure HOW they do it, but they've uncovered zip files of mine in the past that were both cleverly named and contained vinyl rips I made myself. You should think either of those would throw 'em off. Anyway, Sendspace is the way to go for me now.

10. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Forum Resident

My copy has a 'swooshing" sound in the beginning of Californication. Is this inherent to the release or is my copy bad?

11. mikemoon

That's usually a pressing defect from what I understand. I have it with some new lps.

How does the rest of it sound as far as sound quality and mastering?

12. When did Warner Europe start using the old Polydor U.K., Mercury, Fontana, Phillips, DG (now Universal) country codes on thier LPs?

Austria - 720
    Australia - 150
    Belgium - 170
    Brazil - 200
    Canada - 230
    Denmark - 300;
    Far East - 022
    France - 380
    Germany - 320
    Great Britain - 420
    Hungary - 450
    Italy - 520;
    Luxembourg - 630
    Norway - 710
    Netherlands - 670
    Portugal - 790
    South Africa - 960
    Spain - 850
    Sweden - 970
    Switzerland - 980

13. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Here's the thing. Bernie is not going to compress the master. If there's still no dynamic range after he does it, then the album needs a complete remix - which is a whole different story that will likely never happen. This is about the best it's ever going to get.

14. "Bernie is not going to compress the master. If there's still no dynamic range after he does it, then the album needs a complete remix" Depends on what source material he gets. It doesn't seem that this was mixed from the 30ips tapes. Luckily, it still sounds good. But if it hadn't, that wouldn't have meant the master mix sounded bad.

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Not to get off topic but finally acquired the pre mastered version and loving the unreleased songs from the sessions. Digging the revamped song lineup too. :cool:

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

acquired where? thanks!

17. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

18. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

(damnit, and now I'm realizing a lot of these files have been taken down, I'll have to go through and re-up them.)

(i mean.. this isnt my site.. shhhhh)

19. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Forum Resident

Sounds great on my modest system

20. mikemoon

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it.

21. mikemoon

Not sure when but it's there and sounds good like most 320s to me.

22. mikemoon

Bunker hill
    Quixotic elixir
    Gong li
    :D

23. Karsten

Karsten Forum Resident

"quixoticelixer" was the one song I hadn't known from the singles - what was that the b-side of?

24. mikemoon

Never finished or released until around the greatest hits time IIRC. They tried and tried to lay it down during the original sessions but could never get it quite right. It was a favorite of Anthony's.

25. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Thanks everyone for your comments here. I have ordered it. Not my favourite set of RHCP songs, but Mrs Schnozz likes it, and I figure I might get into it more if it sounds good.