DCC Archive Calling all 222 DCC members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Thought it might be fun to ask every member to post on a single topic. The topic is : If you could choose just one album to be remastered by Steve what would it be. For this poll, forget legalities or remote possibilities--just choose the album. I ask that no one post more than once within this post as I'd also like to see how many of the 222 members are checking in regularly. I'd like to tabulate the top 5 picks within two weeks. Thanks.

Doc's pick---The Beatles-Abbey Road

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'd pick Mason Williams Phonograph Record. To have the Hoffman version of "Classical Gas" would be perfect unless Steve has heard the master and that the WB CD sounds like the master tape.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

JUST ONE????? Aw man! One? O.K., it'a a tossup, "Abbey Road" or the MONO "Sgt. Pepper"...hmmmmm, I'll have to flip a coin. Hang on...heads "Abbey". Tails, "Pepper". Here goes...TAILS

The original MONO mix of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" it is.

Can I make it two out of three?

4. Angel

Angel New Member

The Rolling Stones: "Aftermath" both stereo and mono mixes

The Beatles: "Beatles For Sale"

Oops, that's two ;)

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Paul Simon's Graceland

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

This is hard.

First up, there is not much point in picking an album that was initially mastered quite well. I'm thinking of the previously suggested "Graceland", for while I do love that record/CD, it is very well recorded. Steve would make a gem of it, of course.

There is not much point in picking an album that is mastered on SACD. As long as the masters that were used for the SACD were reasonable, I think the advantages of the hi-rez system would outweigh a DCC mastered Red Book. This eliminates "Kind of Blue" for example.

There is not much point in choosing an album that is currently available on top-quality vinyl. For example, Classic Records "Led Zeppelin"s are all still available, though pricey. On a personal note, I can't select an album I have on MFSL vinyl, so that rules out DSOTM and all The Beatles. I hate to do this, but I only get one vote.

I would not select some classic that's coming out on DVD-Audio, for although I'm not a big fan of that system, it sounds pretty fair. There goes The Grateful Dead's "American Beauty".

To be a worthwhile suggestion, I can't pick something with little mass appeal, so it would not be reasonable to suggest, for example, "Weren't Born a Man" by Dana Gillespie (1974).

So I'm looking for a classic that sounded pretty awful in original format which hasn't been remastered in hi-rez or vinyl. Mmmm. "Sticky Fingers" by the Stones is close, but, after some reflection, my suggestion is ...

"Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison

Regards,
    Metralla

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Implausible choice: Rubber Soul

Plausible choice: Charlie Brown Christmas, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Beatles and Stones aside - How about Kinks Kronikles. Why? Currently sounds like a mess - good cross section of their 60's output, not neccessarily the most obvious choices either.

Dino likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jason, the Charlie Brown Christmas master tape sounds very close to the Fantasy CD and (modern cutting) LP.

The nasty damage you hear on the CD at the start of two songs is right on the master, caused by crappy Scotch 211 tape and crappier storage. No backup copy exists (those cheapskates).

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

An SACD or 180g vinyl of Pink Floyd's THE WALL.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...considering the mastering is quite questionable on the MoFi Beatles LPs, I wouldn't count them out...

Let's see. How about Who's Next. Wait, it's already been done!

:D

Hmm...I'm leaning towards Tommy - no CD version of the original mix sounds that great. Maybe one of these days I should try tinkering with the 1993 MCA CD to see what (if anything) I can do...

12. Sgt. Pepper in both stereo and surround mixes. I have to believe the future of music is multi-channel.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You're 100% correct Bill. It's called STEREO!

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Steve is probably sick of my asking for Atlanta Rhythm Section's Champagne Jam, but I got spoiled by the MoFi lp with monster bass that the Polydor pressings (lp and cd) are sorely missing. My lp is about worn out from excessive play on the old victrola... Large Time is one mean ass opening cut, and Champagne Jam just flat out jams!

15. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I'd like to see The Beatles Second Album (Capitol).

16. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Easy, CSN&Y Deja Vu...with Southern Cross thrown in as a bonus track. (oops!)

Among my favorites of Steve's work, I find that the vocals came out esspecially beautiful.

17. cvila

cvila Senior Member

Bob Dylan "Blood On The Tracks" (New York version, Minnesota bonus tracks)

18. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated

That's easy for me...

Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses"

It is my favorite Tull album, and Jethro Tull is my favorite band. My Chrysalis CD sounds pretty good, but I would imagine that the new Tull remasters will be about two steps backward in quality to what is already available.

Tony

19. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Badfinger: Wish You Were Here

20. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Jethro Tull "Broadsword and the Beast". This has always been one of the worst sounding CDs in the Universe. There was a MoFi of it once, but only as an LP, which is very hard to get these days. Anyone have a good digital transfer of this ? :(

21. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Still have to go with "Songs of Leonard Cohen" CK 9533 (Hey Steve if you and I both bought 3 CD's each than DCC would sell 12 copies)

22. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I'd really like to see The Second Damnation album (UA-1970) remastered by Steve. Maybe the first 2 albums could fit on a 2-fer CD? I can't remember...but I think they'd both fit. A great and seldom heard group.
    How 'bout it Steve! :cool:

23. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

George Harrison - "All Things Must Pass". Honorable mentions to "Revolver", "The Notorious Byrd Brothers", and "Odessey and Oracle".

24. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

"Abbey Road" SACD please!

25. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

I don't even need to think about this one: Cream-Disraeli Gears. Steve absolutely created the definitive versions of Fresh Cream & Wheels Of Fire. The MOFI is the best going currently but I think Steve can still improve upon that. Damn, now I'm actually hoping it'll happen ! - ED :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.