DCC Archive Calling all 222 DCC members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

The complete Robert Johnson is fine if you're one of those "completists" that wants everything he's ever done (almost). I found it, however, a less enjoyable listen than King of the Delta Blues Singers. "King" was a collection put out in 1961 that assembled 16 (or so) tracks and is a great album (although I wish it had Love In Vain). To me, the box had numerous alternate takes that would have probably played better at the end of the discs. If you want it ALL, however, go with the box. If not, I reccommend King of the Delta Blues Singes.

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

From allmusic.com:

"The official 1998 edition of the original 1961 album was certainly worth the wait, remastered off the best-quality original 78s available, of far superior quality to any of the source materials used on even the 1991 box set. Johnson's guitar takes on a fullness never heard on previous reissues, and except for a nagging hiss in spots on "Terraplane Blues" (the equalization on this disc is extreme to even sport some minute turntable rumble in the low end), this really brings his music alive."

Is this my opinion? No, I've never heard this issue. (I'm assuming the gold CD and current stock CD are from the same master.) I actually had the boxed set on CASSETTE, but I sold that some time back. And kept the box. Why?

BTW, Luke, it's going to see you showing your true racist colors again. ;) Didn't you mean "African-American gentleman"? Next thing, you'll be dissing UD1s as "Jap crap."*

*This is all said in jest, no flames, please.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

At least I didn't say...ahh, forget it... ;)

4. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Ah, just one, huh? Well, I gotta go with "Abbey Road". And if I had a backup...John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band"...

Anything by the four Liverpudlian lads would kick it, y'know... :D

5. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Another vote for SPLHCB, stereo is fine, just so long as whatever you do gets released also in hi-rez formats, e.g., SACD.

6. Ben

Ben New Member

How 'bout something a bit newer and destined to be a classic (IMHO)....

All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2

Best to the Board!

Ben
    [​IMG]

7. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Hey Rob,
    Red Trumpet has a 2 CD Plastic Ono Band as one of their future releases for $32.99. I'm assuming it's a Japanese release and I hope it is a response to the outcry from the awful recent releases.

8. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

"The Beatles"(the white album)...all the inserts...raised lettering...limited edition numbered copies...and "remastered by STEVE HOFFMAN", in capital letters, of course, somewhere on the booklet. [​IMG]

9. Arne

Arne Guest

"Swingin' Lovers" or "Only The Lonely"? "Only The Lonely", I guess... ;)

10. Arne

Arne Guest

"Swingin' Lovers" or "Only The Lonely"? "Only The Lonely", I guess... ;)

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Probably agree with all the comments on robert johnson but i wouldn't list it on my top 5 albums.

the top five are

led zep - physical graffiti
    queen - a night at the opera
    david bowie - ziggy stardust
    jimi hendrix - electric ladyland
    king crimson - in the court of the crimson king

therefore since the first 4 have all been done fairly well it will have to be

king crimson - itcotck

12. Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours :cool:

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Dan Steely ]

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Dan Steely ]

13. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Odessa:Bee Gees

14. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd buy anything Steve did on SACD.

For my one "must have", I'll take Afghan Whigs "Black Love". Come on Steve!!

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Procol Harum First LP, mono and stereo mixes.

16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Another vote from me;

"An Evening WIth Wild Man Fischer"

Someone needs to release this on CD anyhow. A friend and I are working on a remaster from vinyl.

17. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Like a kid in a candy store, I'm having a very hard time w/ this one.

My runner-up was Metralla's choice, "Astral Weeks".

My first choice is "Blood on the Tracks" b/c I think Steve did his best work on "Highway 61" & "Blonde on Blonde" has already been released on gold. Oh yeah, did I mention the material?

My compliments to the great posting. :D

The Music Never Stops,
    Jeffrey

18. GIG

GIG New Member

Randy New-man "12 songs". Always loved it, wore out the vinyl, cd pisses me off

19. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

Well, then I'll throw in my 2 cents worth and ask :). In fact, make it a double, and add "Rock And Roll Alternative". The 2 best ARS albums, IMHO, and even the atrocious Polydor CDs (and less atrocious Oneways) are no longer in print, which gives an added marketing incentive...

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Rather than go with the impossible. How about Spirit's 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicous. I think that Steve could uncover a lot of things in the mix.

21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I'm with cvila; my vote's for Blood on the Tracks with the bonus material. Blonde on Blonde is a close second, with perhaps Abbey Road third.

Though Trout Mask Replica is still greatly desired (and probably a bit more available for licensing!).

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

All Things Must Pass

23. Unknown

Unknown Guest

A "modern rock" classic--the Violent Femmes debut

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'd say my pick would have to be The Beatles White album. On both 2 gold CD's and 2 lucious 180 gram vinyl platters. Oh yeah in both mono and stereo versions while were at it. Serial number those front covers and let's not forget about the posters and pic's either!

25. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Definitely the White Album. Not only a great album, but a sneaky way to get a two-for-one....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.