Calling all Peggy Lee Gurus

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Sypolt, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member Thread Starter

My father-in-law is a big Peggy Lee fan, and he is looking for the song "Sweet Happiness" on CD. He believes this is the title, but he's not sure. Anyone recognize this title, and if so, know which is the best version to get on CD? This is for a Christmas present, so be sure not to tell him! :D

I have the DCC Peggy Lee, which is just the right amount of Peggy for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It is called "Samba De Orfeo". It's instrumental version is on "Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

It's probably on some 1962-64 Peggy Lee album where she sings songs from "Black Orpheus".

Hope this helps a bit...

3. Kevin Sypolt

Thanks Steve! Now he should have a happy Christmas. I would have never have figured that one out on my own...

4. Steve Hoffman

Kevin,

I looked through 20 years of Capitol Peggy Lee albums and couldn't find it anywhere. Sigh.

I know your dad heard it on that TV commercial for something that I can't think of right now. They must have found it somewhere....

5. Kevin Sypolt

Grrrr, yes I think that's where he heard it too. It might originally be from a soundtrack, as he thought he heard it once in a movie. Not sure. I have had no luck combing eBay, Amazon, Tower, etc. If anyone else knows, please let me know. Thanks!

BTW, Steve, I did find Latin Ala Lee while investigating. I suppose you would recommend this also? I currently just have the DCC Greatest Hits, which I really enjoy.

6. Steve Hoffman

Latin ala Lee? My mix? Sure, it's neat.

I know that the song you are looking for is a Capitol master though. That's Capitol echo all over it!

7. Kevin Sypolt

I think it is called "Sweet Happy Life", and I think it is from Guitars ala Lee. It even quoted the Black Orpheus title that you gave me. Amazon has a 2-fer on EMI international, but I will check around. It was from 1966 I believe. Thanks for your help!

8. Steve Hoffman

If it was written by Luis Bonfa, it's the one!

http://www.peggylee.com/pics/covers/peg236.jpg

Guitars a la Lee
    Capitol (2469), 1966, arr./cond. various
    Nice -n- Easy (Spence / Keith / Bergman) / Strangers in the Night (Kaempfert / Singleton / Snyder) / Mohair Sam (Dallas Frazier) / Goodbye, My Love (Peggy Lee / Victor Young) / Think Beautiful (Jack Lawrence / Stan Freeman) / An Empty Glass (Manning / Branco / Bonfa) / Good Times (Hugo / Weiss) / Sweet Happy Life (Bonfa / Gimbel / Maria) / Touch the Earth (Jeri Southern / Gail Allen) / Beautiful, Beautiful World (Sheldon Harnick / Jerry Bock) / My Guitar (Fiorito / Varner / Gilbert) / Call Me (Tony Hatch)

9. Kevin Sypolt

10. Steve Hoffman

11. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Yes, it's "Sweet Happy Life" from Guitars a la Lee, from 1966. I too became enamored of the song via the Target TV commercial, and found the stereo Capitol LP in one of the Boston-area vinyl shops. Same exact recording used in the commercial. There are some other interesting cuts on that LP too ... I love her version of "Mohair Sam." ;)

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Mohair Sam??? Yikes....

13. Kevin Sypolt

Thanks for all of the info. FYI, I found a copy of Guitars a la Lee (vinyl) on eBay, and successfully bid on it. At least I will have the option to cut a CDR from the vinyl version if I can't obtain an official CD before Christmas. It would probably sound better anyway... Can't wait to hear it! I have never heard this infamous Target commercial, but now I am getting curious...

14. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Kevin,

Another great Peggy Lee Album is "Sugar and Spice" originally released in

Capitol Jazz 7243 5 25249 2 1

It was recently remixed and remastered in 2001 by Ron Mcmaster in 24 bit
    Super Bit Mapping.

Since 1999 Ron has busy remastering many titles from the Capitol Jazz Catalog.

My whole family really enjoys this album. The sound quality is also outstanding.

You can hear the song cuts @ Towerrecords.com or Amazon.com

Best Regards,

Gary S. Freed
    Audiophile from Elkins Park, PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.