Cambridge Audio 640P not adequate for MC cart?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Veech, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

I recently installed a Denon DL110 MC "high output" cart on my Denon DP-23F table. When I use the MC input on my 640P there is no signal. Plugging into the MM input there is a signal but it is not very robust.

I had a MM cart previously and never had a need to use the MC input.

So before I spend $60 on a bench fee to have the 640P diagnosed, should I just start looking at stepping up to a better phono stage? It seems strange that there is no signal at all on the MC input and I wonder if the unit is defective. I've had it for 3 years. But is it possible that it just isn't adequate for this particular cart?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That is really strange - I'm running a DV 10X5 through a 640P and using the MC section. Try another cart - even a MM through it should produce a very similar sound as the MM section as the gain is increased. Don't forget the switch on the back needs to be moved to MC otherwise you will not get any sound out of the MC section.

3. james

james Summon The Queen

I've run the DL110 into a 640p (mm input) and it worked fine.

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Also the 110 should work fine I belive on the MM section - so if that isn't working - and your other cart was - recheck the connections. I moved my DV to the MC section because I was getting a strange feedback that went away with the MC section.

5. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

The 640 p works fine with my Denon DL 103. As mentioned earlier make sure mc input jacks and switch are set up right. Sounds very good actually with an mc cartridge.

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Denon specs note a load of greater than 47k Ohm for the DL110. The MC side of the Cambridge Audio 640P provides a 100 Ohm load. The rated sensitivity for the MM side of the 640P is noted as 3.35 mV in the specs. The DL110 is well under this. What all this means is, the 640P doesn't truly have the optimum gain or load on either input for the DL110.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That doesn't explain the lack of signal - nor the fact that a poster above reported that it worked just fine with it. I can understand that it may not be optimal - but you should still be able to hear sound from it and perhaps even enjoy it. Thanks.

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The post above said it works just fine with a DL103, as it should. The cartridge at hand is a DL110. Also - one person's definition of just fine may not suffice for everyone. When the OP figures out why he's not getting a signal, this will still not be an optimal setup and that's worth mentioning as long as we're in a discussion forum.

9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Turns out the switch in back was slightly out of place, a quick flip back and forth solved the issue (duh..). However, I am still only getting about 60% gain on my meters whereas all other sources can easily hit 90% - 100%.

Is there a moderately priced (~$200) phono stage that offers better gain for this cart?

10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I know your 640 is the older model but any chance you bought it new recently and still have the warranty? I have the 540 with the DL110 and it works fine without the MC capability.

11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Can anyone point me to a replacement power supply for the 640p? I've been searching Amazon but the units I've been looking at don't have specs that match what's on the stock one. I'm not sure if that's okay or not, I just don't want to burn my place down.

12. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.