Cambridge Audio Azur 851A Integrated vs. Anthem 225 Integrated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PROG U.K., Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile Thread Starter

After several years with my NAD M3, I have made the decision to buy a new integrated amp.

I have narrowed my selection to the amps below:

Cambridge Audio Azur 851A Integrated
    http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/azur-851a-integrated-class-xd-amplifier

Anthem 225 Integrated
    http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/integrated-amp

My room is approx 12' wide by approx 25' long and I will be using it to power a pair of B&W 683's and will be running 2 B&W ASW 610 subs from the pre-outs. Connected to this will be a new OPPO BD 105 via XLRs.

Does the CA 851 whave enough power? Which is the better choice?

I listen to moslty pop, rock, prog and some classical.

2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

If you've had a NAD M3, I doubt you'd be satisfied with 851A. I was recently looking for a new integrated amplifier for my secondary set-up and 851A was one of the amps I tested at home. To say I was disappointed with it is an understatement. Both my NAD amps (C375 BEE & C356 BEE) easily outperformed the 851A, so there's no doubt in my mind that M3 would do just the same. Compared to NAD, 851A sounded somewhat "metallic" and tinny to me and seemed to be somewhat lacking in the bass department. Of course, if you're not enamoured with the typical NAD sound (which I am very fond of), CA might be just what you are looking for. I'm not familiar with Anthem 225.

3. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I haven't tried either amp, but I can tell you that the Anthem 225 got less than enthusiastic reviews on the Audio Reviews site. Have you considered a tube amp?

4. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about these amps but it seems like you would be trading down. From what I have heard the NAD is pretty awesome.

5. PROG U.K.

I did see the 2 reviews on Audioreview.com. One was very good, the other was not so good. However, I guess I am tiring of the laid back NAD sound and issues they have had with reliability over the years. I have had this several years and want to be able to get something for it in resale before it requires service.

I have seen some rave reviews for the 225 on other sites, which state it is quite a bargain and can compete with higher priced integrated amps and separates. I have one on the way, and I was told if I didn't like it I can return it. I am now torn as to what I should do. I just know it's time for a change.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

7. PROG U.K.

8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I would be interested to know how you find the amp. My experience with Audio Review is that tube amps get consistently positive reviews, while solid state amps get mixed reviews. The important thing is how you like the amp.

9. dhoffa85

I am sort of shocked I didn't know the NAD was laid back sounding I would have thought it to be more analytical. You could save some money and get the latest Rega Brio, it's supposed to be pretty awesome. Otherwise the anthem would be a good choice if you like the sound, I know nothing about it but it seems pretty popular. Personally I like a tube pre with a ss amp, so the Rogue might also be an outstanding choice.

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Both are great amps but the Anthem 225 would be the more powerful and better value for money - but it all depends on the speakers you want to drive and of course the room. So if you can try them out do that - if not look for a dealer, that lets you try them out one by one - if you are happy with the first choice live with it. If these amps are better sounding than the M3 ? No idea - i doubt they will be much of a step up - both are cheaper than the M3 was ..
    so it might be a gamble. Good luck !

PROG U.K. likes this.
  11. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

I've got a 851A and I like it a lot. I can understand the comment about it being "metallic", cause it's sort of the house sound of CA, either you like it or you don't. Personally I quite like a little sparkle and aggressiveness in the top end as opposed to the silky smooth M3, which imo tends to become a little boring when it comes to certain kinds of music (don't get me wrong, it's obviously a super amp if you like that particular sound). Don't understand how anyone could find the 851 lacking in bass though, since one of the reasons I fell for it was the the very tight and powerful bottom end. You should at least try and give it a listen.

12. Stella

Stella Active Member

I know a friend with an 851a and we traded amps for a weekend (Rega Brio R) and I was happy to have my Rega back. My feeling between the two was the Rega sounded broken in while the 851A sounded like a brand new amp out of the box--and both amps were at least a year old. I've never heard the Anthem but it looks nice on paper and photo.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

It could of course be down to my speakers (Epos M12i), but I didn't think 851A's bass response was particularly powerful compared to my NAD C375 BEE (effectively a budget M3) which offers just the kind of bass I like - well pronounced but not overbearing. With 851A I had a constant crave to fiddle with tone controls to make it sound the way I wanted - never had that problem with any of the NADs I have had. I agree with very tight, though.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How about Musical Fidelity? They always seem to have some nice integrated amps.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  15. dhoffa85

Yup these are very nice too, forgot about them. I actually listened to the lower budget one the M3 I think, it was good, no phono though which is a bummer, but their separate phono section is also pretty good, for $1500 I feel they should have added it but oh well. I had one of their preamps a while back. It was fantastic, the phono section was great too. I would recommend their products.

16. james

james Summon The Queen

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I can do that. I have heard the Brio-R and always have one on display here. The Cronus integrated amp or the Metis preamp and Atlas power amps are always here as well. Recently, I have heard the Perseus preamp and the Hydra power amp, which was brought in for a customer. That is perhaps the most quiet tube system that I have ever heard in terms of background noise. Very accurate and dynamic without bloat, yet not thin or sterile at all. very nice. I expect the integrated to sound somewhat similar.
    -Bill

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

There's a fair deal on a nice MF A5.5 Int Amp on the 'gon (no affiliation).

Just saying that MF and B&W make for a nice pairing - and the A5.5 has gobs of power to grip those B&Ws the way they like :righton:

I run a MF A5 with my B&Ws and am in a very happy place right now.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

That should be a killer product for them. The specs and price are right on the money (for me). Curious about that power section.

20. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

And there is also a little bit of info about the new Rogue Pharaoh integrated on that link above.

22. james

james Summon The Queen

I suppose curious is not the right word. Skeptical is not accurate either. I've read many less than positive comments about Class D amplification and I've had no experience with an amp of that topology.

23. PROG U.K.

24. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

25. PROG U.K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.