Cambridge CXU - the 752BD successor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've half a year on the CXU now and am very happy. I use it for video disc playback, DVR playback, and for listening to music via headphones mostly, and all two channel.

The sound for Redbook, SACD and video punches way above its price point in my opinion. A bit, just a bit, on the warm side of neutral with my system, which is fine. I use a Decware Taboo Mk III with Audeze LCD-2 and Oppo PM-1 headphones and get many hours of fatigue-free involving listening. (I generally listen to music via my speakers through my PS Audio DirectStrea Memory Player and DirectStream DAC which does sound better than the CXU. . . and cost WAY WAY more; when I listen to video discs and DVR through the stereo system speakers I use coaxial out from the CXU into the DirectStream DAC, excellent sound). The CXU will reward careful and quality cabling choices.

The picture from DVD and Blu-ray is very good, and I also run my DVR into the CXU via HDMI and with about 5 to 15 percent Darbee processing added I get a picture that my wife swears she can walk into from Spectrum, which is saying a lot imo.

There has been not one single problem with this unit, and I am using it more than I suspected I would (didn't anticipate using it with the DVR, nor listening to music via headphones as much as I have). Especially at the latest official pricing this is a machine I can heartily recommend.

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good to hear.
    I am mightily tempted.
    Don't necessarily need one right now, but by the time I do these CXUs will be long gone.
    And, like the new Oppos, I may then be looking at a newer more expensive model that doesn't fit my needs as well as the previous model.
    There are still a few around town at the $999CDN clearance price (all of the major online retailers appear to be sold out), guess it's time to buck up.

The only thing that slightly worries me are the occassional reliability/service stories. Not with this model in particular, but Cambridge in general. My father-in-law had issues with all three Cambridge products he owned.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. Lonson

I'd say unless you plan to go 4K this decade the CXU would be a good choice at that price. . . (which was the price I paid as well).

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Even if the video processor is the same there may be other elements of the components and build that make a difference. Never seen any comments before on forums that Cambridge and Oppo products' sound and vision is identical, though they likely offer a similar level of performance.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I am still very pleased with my CXU and unless I had a good reason to spend may more $$$$ on a front end unit I think I'll be satisfied with this one. Analogue Stereo sound is ABFAB!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

How is the Cambridge tablet app? I'm thinking about getting the 851N.

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It's common knowledge the CXU uses the same Mediatek chipset as the Oppos with each brand designing their own audio sections and casework. I'm thinking the video sections are close to the same.
    But what about the mechanicals, drive and loading systems, lasers etc.
    Are they shared?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Is the CXU region free?

9. Lonson

Supposedly region free for DVD (don't have another region to test, but reviews say so)-- definitely not for Blu-ray.

10. Lonson

As far as I can tell no, nothing really shared.

11. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

I picked up the Cambridge CXU about a month ago on sale. I am quite happy with it. Compared to my previous CD player (Marantz CD6005) I would say it's a subtle but meaningful improvement - smoother sounding and more detailed as well.

Khorn and Lonson like this.
  12. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Mine certainly is for DVD, I've just tried it with a region 1 disk.

13. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I spoke with a Cambridge Audio dealer in Toronto yesterday regarding the CXU and he mentioned that it has been discontinued.
    I sent an e-mail to C/A and they confirmed that they are no longer manufacturing the CXU, however there is replacement in the works and are looking at a 2018 release, but no confirmed date.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Too bad. It is a very nice player for the money, both audio and video.

John K.

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have a CXU in my home theater. Love it. Sounds particularly great on SACD's.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Richer Sounds in UK still have the CXU and at full price but it says last few in selected stores.

17. Mike McMann

Here is the email I received from them.

[​IMG]
    Bart Niven (Cambridge Audio)

Aug 7, 14:50 BST

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio.

We are sorry to say that, yes the the CXU is now a finished line and has no longer been in production for a while now. The CXU was also never lunched in sliver and we only offered this unit in black.

We will be launching a new player very soon Cambridge Audio (@CambridgeAudio) | Twitter

If you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Bart Niven
    Cambridge Audio

18. triple

triple Senior Member

It seems that the English do not like sliver for lunch.

19. Mike McMann

As Henry Ford said, "you can have any colour you like as long as it's black".
    I imagine the new product will be along the lines of the OPPO UDP-205.

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own opinions on these islands I guess...

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm guessing their foray into 4k, though design to remain in keeping with the current style broadly.

22. Mike McMann

My thoughts as well.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I saw something recently, damned if I can find it now, that said the new model would be 4K of course and would have AKM DACs instead of Wolfson. Thought it said HDCD too but that doesn't make sense because they'll likely be using the same Mediatek chipset that's in the Oppo.

Still seriously thinking about getting a CXU but can't quite pull the trigger. Mainly because it seems redundant when I eventually get an external DAC and the CXU becomes a transport for my music system. A Sony UDP-X800 will output DSD for a third of the cost

24. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I had issues with the many Cambridge Audio products I tried and all were returned ,my advice is to avoid Cambridge despite what Bill Mac says, He disbelieves what a Richer Sounds salesman told me that they have many problems with the now discontinued CXU

25. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

The Sony UDP-800 is excellent, however I wish it had a display and did not have to be connected to TV to work..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.