Can Ab Fab save us? Pat's and Eddie to the rescue, an appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuwee, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where are Jennifer and Joanne when we need them? The last movie was a bit of a flop, like the fins on the Orca in her bath years ago, we need you girls like yesterday... AB Fab as Old - Bing video

While there have been many wonderful, clever TV shows, Ab Fab always hit the mark, post your fav lines, situations video's, how they affected your life.

I've always been like Pats, yet still like Eddie because of my abuse at the hands of those I wanted to please...

ralphb likes this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

woody, stuwee and ralphb like this.
  3. OldSoul

stuwee and ralphb like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I will occasionally bust out, "SWEETIE! DARLING!" to the wife, every once and a while!

stuwee, OldSoul and ralphb like this.
  5. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The daughter (Saffron) was brilliant. Funny but it hasn't held up for me like MPFC or Mr. Fawlty's adventures.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She was also wonderful as the Doctor's companion on the Doctor Who spoof The Curse of the Fatal Death with Rowen Atkinson:

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Let's not forget the fabulous Kathy Burke:

The movie was a bit of a dud, almost like a greatest hits with different guest stars and tired writing. That's okay, we'll always have the series, which is brilliant.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

...and of course Jane Horricks as Bubble.

stuwee and ralphb like this.
  9. ralphb

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. ralphb

Both Burke and Horrocks have serious chops as dramatic actors. Horrocks was wonderful in "Little Voice" and Burke was devastating in "Nil By Mouth".

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

"Paper! Extremely urgent, vitally important paper!"

Ghostworld, lbangs and ralphb like this.
  12. ralphb

"It comes and it comes!"

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. OldSoul

I could only ever understand about 50% of what she says. At least in the original series. I feel like she talked slower in the revival.

14. ralphb

She did. When she was on I found myself listening very closely. Worth it though, the lines Saunders wrote for her were hysterical.

OldSoul likes this.
  15. OldSoul

I definitely heard better right now through headphones. Maybe that's the trick.

ralphb likes this.
  16. ralphb

17. Chris DeVoe

"If the models get any younger, they'll be chucking fetuses down the catwalk."

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

After a day like I had today, I feel like calling out "Champers, darling!"

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My favorite comedy series, probably. I always put on an episode when I need a laugh. I love the "Morocco" episode. So completely twisted.

stuwee and OldSoul like this.
  20. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha, me too! And my 78 year old mother still yells "Help MOMMA SWEETIE"!! She's a Huge fan as well thanks to her sick son (me), I remind her that with your son, the cord is never cut, and she can whip me back at any moment :laugh:...

While having a bad day, I can always watch my girls and smile and LOL :righton: Still some of the best well crafted comedy in the last few decades, thanks girls :righton: and all you posting the memories!!!

Ghostworld, ralphb and vince like this.
  21. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I saw most of the original episodes when they were on Comedy Central in the 90's, and really wanted to like it. I never quite connected to the show or it's tone of humor, but there was one episode which ended in a flashback to a wild party that Edina had attended in the 60's. The "reveal" gave me one of my biggest laughs ever.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think Jennifer Saunders (who is also so beautiful :love:) is a great writer. I can see it being hard to relate to the show unless you're a wisened parent after not-quite emerging from an un-wisened youth. And it's not a sugary show. The whole show has a great no-holds-barred concept: An immature mother who has a terrible relationship with her studious daughter -- and who is so psychopathically obsessed with being hip, trendy and getting wasted on Bollinger, that she finds her daughter an embarrassment and shows absolutely no concern for her welfare! I mean, they sell her into white bondage so they can continue having fun on their vacation again! -- hahah. It's really brutal! And best friend lush Patsy (the genius of Joanna Lumley, who is as good of a comedian as it comes) hates her daughter, too. The battle sets up great laughs and Jennifer Saunders is a true wit who pens killer punchlines, and the height of the absurdity and satire is wonderfully daffy. And despite what terrible mother she is, I still somehow relate to Edna . Any doting music freak here in their 50s or 60s writing forum love poems to Paul McCartney or Katy Perry and extolling the virtues of Record Store Day, at least, SHOULD see a little of their clinging-to-youth selves in Punk Momma Edna Monsoon! :wave:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    stuwee, woody, ralphb and 1 other person like this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Never been able to get into this show, even with Joanna Lumley.

I just can't stomach Jennifer Saunders, she's a detriment to comedy IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.