Can-Am cabinet room placement and strategies

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jfeldt, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have around 4500 CDs, but not all of them need to go into Can-Am units immediately. They have all been boxed up since I moved over a year ago :(. Please help me stop procrastinate on my cabinet purchase :)

I am looking for help on how to place Can-Am media cabinets in my Stereo room with the goals being: minimize hurting the sound, maximize the storage space, and look good, probably in that order.

I have a dedicated room that I sketched up for y'all.

The wall behind the chair is 68 inches wide between the two door mouldings. I originally was thinking of getting 3x 3-drawer cabinets (to reach the max of 9 high) and putting them back there, but then I started worrying the sound reflection off of them could sound bad. Then I thought about getting some number of drawers high that would put the top below my ear level, and put a combination of the normal width ones and narrow ones back there, in combination with two 3 drawer ones under the window. The window is 26 inches off of the floor.

For anyone that has done this before, can you please give advice on purchasing/mixing strategy and room placement ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I have mine halfway down the right sidewall of my room, side by side so they aren't blocking speaker dispersal. They are low enough that they aren't super obtrusive and overflow is in wine crates along the wall. My main limit in my room is ceiling height.

3. jfeldt

Interesting, thanks! Could you please share some if your thought process?

When you say your limit is ceiling height do you have a sloping ceiling?

Do you think one could make a bench of sorts out of them by putting a cushion on top? I'm thinking that may be neat if I put them under my window, which would be on the side like you did things.

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Your idea of putting the cabinets under the window and behind the chair sounds fine to me. I have two Can-Am cabinets, one three-drawer and one four. The taller one is against the left wall and is still low enough not to really affect the sound. The other cabinet is against the left front wall and is actually where I place speakers for my system. Seems to work well. My wife even loves my Can-Am cabinets. I'm glad I got them when I had the opportunity to afford it.

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Just a low ceiling in the room, as it's downstairs and naturally limited by the first floor.
    Not really sure how they would work as a bench, because while they are sturdy and heavy, the tops flex so you'd always get that whomp whomp sound of aluminum flexing...

6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Having metal containers sounds to me, with no experience of using them, as inviting problems with reflected sound.

Generally with room acoustics the back wall is one that is recommended to have some sort of absorption. Some people like absorption on the side walls too, others (like me!) don't.

I would think the best plan for you is to get one of these cabinets and try it out in different locations, including raised as if sitting on another cabinet, and see if you notice any effect on the sound.

I have only around 600 CDs and have them on wooden shelving. I just did some quick calculations and if you did that you would need around 87 square feet of wall to accommodate your 4,500 CDs!

7. JonL

JonL Forum Resident

Hi, I don't have any information on the acoustic aspect but I can comment on the purchasing/mixing strategy. I've owned a configuration of two 3-drawer units stacked on the caddy with wheels for four years now and am very happy with them. These have 6 inch drawers for CDs and is about 47 inches to the top surface. You can easily look down into the top draw. I think that three 3-drawer units stacked would be too tall to easily access the top 2 drawers. A three over four would probably be OK. I also recommend the caddy with wheels. Mine isn't fully loaded yet (maybe 3/4) but it is already quite heavy, but can be rolled fairly easily on a wood floor or thin carpet. So if you think you might ever need to move it, the caddy with wheels is the way to go. Also, you do need the dividers and backstops. Hope this helps.

8. jfeldt

Thanks for your input!

Thanks, I'll not plan on using them as a bench then. I suspected they could be like that from the pictures, it was nice of you to confirm.

Yep! I started realizing wall-only racks were going to be a problem a while ago :) I agree, I'm going to take it easy on the rear wall, even though that would look the best in the room.

Thank you for the detailed information! I finally ended up pulling the trigger on three 3 drawer full-width units in fog gray after a year of hesitating. I got the 3 of the divider sets and one each of a few of the other accessories to see what they are like. I think I'll put them straight on my floor, but I got a set of metal 2" feet to see how they are.

I'm pretty excited, thanks everyone for your help so far.

9. jfeldt

Hey everyone, thanks for your suggestions earlier! My three fog grey three drawer units arrived in January and they look great. I've spent a lot of time trying to organize my CDs as I unbox from many small boxes. I'm very close to done filling them, and just need to re-consolidate what is left and figure out if I want to apply more Can-Am or keep the rest in boxes. I'll take pics of the room once I clean it up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.