Can anyone else name a song that combined soul and country?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I took the inititive to start a new thread because I felt the Chi-Lites thread was being derailed.

A few songs I can think of are:
    A Sweet Little Woman Like You-Joe Tex
    Release My-Esther Phillips
    My Pledge Of Love-Joe Jeffery Group
    Sail On-Commodores
    Oh Girl-Chi-Lites
    Patches-Clarence Carter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Soul and Country?

Well, the man that invented the duo:

Ray Charles/Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music, Volumes I and II, 1962.

"I Can't Stop Loving You", etc.

Everything else that came after was all due to him.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

damn, you beat me to it!

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Already mentioned this one in the other trhead, but I'll move it over here to make it official:

Drift Away--Dobie Gray. :thumbsup:

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

What Steve said. And, what about Charley Pride? Figured I could get this posted for the very first time before Bradley.....who will be able to fill us in on more, I am sure!!

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Slow Hand--Pointer Sisters. Conway Twitty scored a #1 country single with "Slow Hand" with practically the same arrangement as the Pointer's version.

7. stever

stever Senior Member

Buddy Miller has done some tunes that would qualify. Has anyone heard his version of, "That's How Strong My Love Is?" :thumbsup:

8. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

Dobie Gray made some great lp's in the '70's that combined his souful voice with some great country songs and musicans. Troy Seals, Reggie Young, Weldon Myrick, Buddy Spicher, Charlie McCoy and others play on the records. There's A Honkey Tonk Angel ( Who'll Take Me Back In) from the lp Loving Arms MCA-371, is especially good!

9. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

This was the one I thought of as well. Most folks only know Dobie Gray from that one song but I always am reminded of the Drift Away album he cut in Nashville back in '73. It was really a solid album with really good songs on it, great Nashville session musicians. "The Time I Love You the Most", "City Stars" are a couple of other really great tunes on that album. I've still got it and never paid a penny for it - won it off a local radio station at the time. I don't think it's in print anymore, unfortunately. Trivia question: anyone know who played the classic guitar riff on "Drift Away"??

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Southern Soul and Country Ballads are basically the same thing. Songs like "Do Right Woman Do Right Man" "When Something is Wrong with My Baby", and stuff like that could work as country or soul.

Besides the already mentioned Ray Charles, check out Al Green's versions of "For the Good Times" and "Funny How Time Slips Away" or Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Help Me Make it Through the Night" if you need further proof.

Gram Parsons certainly felt comfortable slapping a little twang on soul ballads like "You Don't Miss Your Water" and "Dark End of the Street".

It all goes back to church music, after all.

Regards,

11. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Depends on how you define "combining soul & country", but the following records by soul artists had a country influence:

Rainy Night in Georgia - Brook Benton
    Midnight Train To Georgia - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Just Out of Reach - Solomon Burke

This may be a stretch, but there's also "Deep River Woman", the duet by Lionel Richie & Alabama.

12. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Oooh, boy--that's a great one. One of my biggest sweet spots. As Grant's list reflects, I think the two tend to cross more often on ballads--the most common ground between good soul and country being honest, raw-boned human emotion.

Or, EMO, as the kids say, I guess.

Who was first? Ray probably invented it long before the Country Sounds pair came out in 62. Charlie Rich's Lonely Weekends hit in 1960, and he was surely doing it in Memphis clubs from 1958 on.

His pre-countrypolitan catalog is full of examples:
    Mohair Sam, Lonely Weekends, Who Will the Next Fool Be . . . etc.

Dark End of the Street (James Carr, Aretha, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dan Penn) Maybe the greatest country soul song ever written.

Polk Salad Annie-Tony Joe White (another one who's whole catalog pretty much fits the category--even Soul-Francisco)

Eddie Hinton-
    Breakfast in Bed
    Cover Me
    Dear Y'all
    300 pounds of Hongry

Take Time to Know Her-Percy Sledge

Mother In Law Ernie K-Doe

Speaking of which:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/23/arts/music/23POPL.html

doug

13. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Heard it on record, and live. He definitely does it justice.

Brings to mind Don Dixon's various covers of soul classics, on record and live, though Dixon came at things more from the pop/rock side of the ledger.

doug

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think Grant meant just black singers....

Otherwise I would have mentioned Elvis on Sun in 1954.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A few more:

"Fairytale" by the Pointer Sisters ... more country than soul

"The End of the World" by Skeeter Davis ... the only song ever to make the top 5 of the pop, country, R&B AND easy listening chart (#2 pop and country, #4 R&B, #1 easy listening)

"Never Had It So Good" by Ronnie Milsap .. from 1965, written by Ashford & Simpson, made the R&B charts

"Stuck on You" by Lionel Richie

"Suspicious Minds" by Elvis Presley ... more soul than country

16. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

How about:
    "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusy Springfield
    "Me & Bobby McGhee" by Janis Joplin
    "Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry

17. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Really?

I guess if he'd put it "country and soul" it would've meant just white people . . . but then you've got Charlie Pride to deal with. ':cool:'

While I'm at it, I'll add:
    All the Way-Raisins in the Sun

It's Rainin' - Jim Dickinson

Wild Horses - Stones

doug

18. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Heard Dobie Gray on a "cavalcade of stars" Christmas fundraising bill in Nashville around 1979.

He's a preposterously talented singer--straight country, soul, pop. Not much he couldn't sing as far as I can tell. People with his kind of talent should be stars forever.

Never expected to hear him live--one night I'll never forget.

doug

P/S For the Drift Away guitar riff, my wild-ass guess would be Mac McAnally.

19. Grant

Actually, no. The songs I listed are the ones that just happened to come to mind.

Color doesn't matter! Add those Elvis tunes!

20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Not Mac McAnally, but the guitarist also once played on an Elvis record (maybe more than once).

21. audio

audio New Member

This is the funkiest country album in the universe! This stuff smokes! No wonder they call her the "Tina Turner of Country":

Attached Files:

22. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Speaking of Tina, she was pretty country.

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Have A Little Faith In Me-John Hiatt

Nutbush City Limits-Ike & Tina

Love & Happiness-Amazing Rhythm Aces

Hey, Baby - Bruce Channel

Two More Bottles of Wine-Delbert McClinton (or Emmylou)

A GIANT GEM OF THE GENRE: Treat Her Right- Roy Head & the Traits

doug

24. Grant

Wow! I was just helping to save the Chi-Lites thread from being hijacked. I never realized this thread would take off so quickly!

I guess this is a popular subject.

25. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I think some of the Charlie Rich songs he did for Sun may fit the bill. I also feel what Elvis did on his "Elvis in Memphis" sure put some soul on some county standards. That's for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.