Can anyone else name a song that combined soul and country?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

My thread was pretty much done, I think. Thanks for the consideration though.:thumbsup:

2. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

It's All Over Now-Valentinos (hi-jacked by the Stones--oh boy, I'm in trouble!)

Love in Them There Hills-Vibrations

Home Is Where the Heart Is-Bobby Womack

Ain't Got Nobody To Give It To-Howard Tate

Way Down in the Hole - Tom Waits (or Blind Boys of Alabama)

Another common thread of better country and soul--frequent disregard for proper grammar!

doug

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Clarence Carter - "Patches"

As another post mentioned, most of Charlie Rich's sessions are far more blues/jazz/soul than folk/country/bluegrass.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hey Prix,

How's the sound on that Tanya Tucker two-fer?

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Check out the CD Rhythm Country and Blues. There is also the Decca boxed set of black artists in country music.

The In-Crowd is also a country-soul hybrid in fact, if you don't have Dobie Gray's Ultimate Collection CD, you are missing out on a ton of great music, some of Shelby Lynne's more recent stuff is country-soul influenced, Joe South definitely had a blend of country-soul, same with Narvel Felts, Razzy Bailey, and many others. Are you telling me that Razzy did only traditional country, listen to Midnight Hauler and you will know what I mean, it was a #1 country hit and deservedly so.

6. BradOlson

You could even include Jimmie "Singing Brakeman" Rodgers.

7. BradOlson

and we can't forget about the late, great Rick(y) Nelson

8. BradOlson

and also Willie Nelson does have country and blues roots and influences as well, the same with Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and many others.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"You Don't Miss Your Water"--William Bell

ED:cool:

10. audio

audio New Member

Good question. To be honest, I haven't really sat down and really checked out the sound quality. I've just put it on, turned it up, and enjoyed. It's a hell of a lot better than my old cassettes, which is what I upgraded from. I don't remember anything to hideous about the sound, so I'd say off the bat that it's okay. I'll check it out later and report back.

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Anna-Arthur Alexander

It's All Over Now-Bobby Womack

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Liked your version so much I've got it in DCC silver,gold,vinyl and another vinyl you did for the Personality label.

13. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I'd say nearly all of Arthur Alexander's work meets the criteria. I especially like his final LP "Lonely Just Like Me."

Chris

14. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

A great song,Little Green Apples by O.C.Smith.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Which is your favorite version?

16. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

Barbra Mandrell always seemed to mix soul and country, doing versions of "Show Me", "If Loving You Is Wrong", and "The Angel in Your Arms".

17. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

18. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Reggie Young played that lick.I read that in an interview with him awhile back.He went on the road at the time with DG and said he had to get a copy of the song to learn his licks,he hadn't played it since the recording session nearly 30 yrs before.He just invented that classic intro at the session I believe,AMAZING !!!

19. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

The silver CD was my standby for years before I found the others and I was very happy with it.When I found the gold it was better but my favorite is the DCC vinyl.I've also got Uh Huh and Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul(Gold),both are fantastic.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

"Misty Blue"-Dorothy Moore!

21. BradOlson

BTW Grant, Dorothy Moore's Misty Blue is a cover of an Eddy Arnold country hit from the 1950s. Check out the DCC CD of The Best of Eddy Arnold Vol. 2, mastered by none other than our host.

22. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

The original question was: What songs combine country and soul. I never said Charlie's stuff didn't have a lot to do with blues and jazz, not to mention soul. I think where it all runs off track is when you try to build walls between these genre groups: blues/jazz/soul vs. country/folk/bluegrass.

Jazz/soul and folk/country both draw deeply from the blues. To the extent that they sound more or less country or whatever depends on intstrumentation and production vagaries as much as anything. (It's how Dolly Parton got from Coat of Many Colors to Stairway to Heaven--country soul!)

Ironically, bluegrass is the only one you list with blue in its name, but has less to do with the blues than any of the six.

Charlie Rich has one of those voices that personifies country soul. As a result, I would stand by saying that almost everything he did, including such conuntry-politan standards as Behand Closed Doors, hits the country soul mark.

Does Who Will the Next Fool Be have a lot to do with the blues and jazz? Hell, yes. Is it country soul? Absolutely! Rich's version, as well as Amazing Rhythm Ace ace Russell Smith's and who knows how many others.

doug

23. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

You got it. I read that same interview on-line, I forget which site. I learned that riff myself on my acoustic, not sure how accurate it is to Reggie's but it sounds fairly close. He also played the famous lick on In The Ghetto (Elvis) if I'm not mistaken.

24. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

I Can Help = Billy Swann

Amos Moses = Jerry Reed

doug

25. BradOlson

Bill Monroe has stated that his main influences were artists such as Leadbelly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.