Can anyone identify George Harrison photo place and date

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by klaatuhf, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a fairly common George photo from 1971 and I had always assumed it was taken at the opening of Apple Studios in September 1971 but upon closer inspection he isn't wearing the same clothes. I can't find any copies that identify when exactly and where it was taken. It seems slightly posed so George is aware of the photographer. His beard and hair are longer than at the Bangladesh concert and possibly longer than on The Dick Cavett Show. Could it be from a radio interview he did in December?
    Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

At the plaza New York, January 1970.

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I'm not 100% certain but didn't George have visa problems because of his drug bust and couldn't get back into the U.S. until May 1970?

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Couldn't be. In December 1969 he was sporting very long hair (yes, he could have cut it shorter, but I don't believe he did because it was even longer, near waist-level by the summer of 1970) and he had just a moustache, no beard. No one can grow a beard like that in a few weeks. Ron

5. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I agree, late 71.

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

There is a photo of George in the same clothes with Pete Bennet in the Plaza just before My Sweet Lord was recorded.
    http://www.petebennett.com/stars/george_harrison.htm
    My Sweet Lord was recorded in January 1970. Although he recorded it again (May-September 1970) for the All Things Must Pass sessions.
    (We only have Pete Bennetts word for it though)

7. brainwashed

Yikes! My Sweet Lord was NOT recorded in January 1970. That photo of George and Pete Bennett show him with his long hair and just starting a beard, more befitting the image of him in December 1969 at the Lyceum with John. I believe the photo you linked to was from May 1970. I think the OP photo is from the same timeframe as the Cavett Show. Ron

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Harrison recorded it in Jan 1970 with Billy Preston.
    Wikipedia quote

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Pete Bennett gets many of his "facts" wrong. Here are some questionable quotes from his Web site:

He was a pleasure to promote. If I told George, even at the last minute, to get out of bed at four a.m. to go promote his song somewhere, he would do it. He was very dedicated.

---Definitely not the George Harrison we know!!

As the Promotion Manager of Apple Records, it was my decision to release the song, "My Love". Paul wanted "Another Day" to be the "a" side of the release. But I insisted on "My Love". Paul relented, and it made #1.

---Hmmm. ... ;)

Arnie

10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

11. klaatuhf

Nope the collars are different. I always thought it was from the day for the Apple Studios opening (the above pic with Klaus) but its not on close inspection. Its definately between Sept and December 1971 although I have no photos of George from Jan - April 1971 so he may have looked like this after he cut off his really long hair from 1970 (which he had at least till Dec 1970)? First pic of him I know of from 1971 was him recording with John for the Imagine album in late May and then the Press Conference for Bangladesh on July 27. It has me stumped as it must has been something of importance to get a good pic like that up close.

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Was there any official public appearance for release of the album or film perhaps?

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wow. You guys know a lot more details than I! But my first thought when I saw the photo was it looks like the Concert for Bangladesh George, so I would agree 71 is more likely than 70.

14. klaatuhf

This is the timeline I have for George in 1971. It's possible the pic might be from the press preview screening of "Raga" but if John & Yoko where there also I would assume lots of photos would have emerged from that day over the years?

FEBRUARY 8 - 21
    George teams up with producer Phil Spector in London to record a proposed album for Phil's wife, Ronnie but the usual strange situations arise with Phil and the album becomes only a single issued on the Apple label. The "A" side is a Hari composition "Try Some, Buy Some" while the flip is a jointly composed jam titled "Tandoori Chicken" that features George, Mal Evans and reportedly John. There will be a further attempt to salvage an album later in April over in Los Angeles but this plan also fails.

APRIL
    Following the unfinished sessions for Ronnie Spector’s album in London, George now flies to L.A. to continue the album. Again the sessions break down with only six tracks finished before the whole project is abandoned. The songs Try Some Buy Some and Tandoori Chicken are issued as an Apple single at the end of the month. George later rescues another of the songs (which he actually composed) "You" for use on his 1975 album "Extra Texture". While in L.A. George stays at a rented house in Malibu and later at Nichols Canyon where he pens the songs "Miss O'Dell" and "Be Here Now".

MAY 21 - 23
    George attends some of the first sessions of John’s “Imagine” recording sessions and is filmed for a movie about the making of the album that will be shown on US television the next year.

MAY 31 - JUNE 10
    George returns to Abbey Road studios to produce the first of four tracks for Apple band Badfinger. Today they record the song "Suitcase" which appears on their next album "Straight Up".

JUNE 3
    George produces Badfinger's hit song "Day After Day" at Abbey Road studios.

JUNE 11
    George flies to New York for business meetings regarding his idea to hold a concert to raise money for the refugees in Bangladesh. He soon gets the go ahead from Apple & Capitol and begins the arduous task of putting a concert together.

JULY 10
    Having flown to L.A. to co-ordinate the benefit concert, George pens a song to help raise more funds. He quickly records his new song appropriately called "Bangladesh" on this day at The Record Plant in Los Angeles and releases it soon after as his next single.

JULY 27
    George holds a press conference at ABKCO offices in New York with Allen Klein & Ravi Shankar to announce details of a huge benefit concert to be held at Madison Square Gardens, in less than a week's time, for the people of Bangladesh.

JULY 29 - 31
    Rehearsals for "The Concert For Bangladesh" are held at Madison Square Gardens and other venues.

AUGUST 1
    Both George and Ringo participate at "The Concert For Bangladesh". Two shows are held at New York's Madison Square Garden, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.

AUGUST 2 – LATE AUGUST
    George, with occasional help from Phil Spector, mix the tapes from "The Concert For Bangladesh" in New York. They hope to have it out by October but corporate red tape gets in the way delaying it till Christmas.

SEPTEMBER 3
    It is possible that on this date George attends a Led Zeppelin concert at Madison Square Garden in New York. He also visits backstage with members of the band.

SEPTEMBER 22
    George returns to England aboard the luxury liner "QE II". But only 10 days later he will be onboard another ship back to New York.

SEPTEMBER 30
    George attends the long awaited official opening of Apple studios in London. The members of the Apple group, Badfinger also attend, as do many journalists from around the world.

OCTOBER 2
    George travels to the French port of Le Havre then boards the ship the S.S. France and returns to New York. Four days later George arrives in New York and soon attends to the mixing of the Bangladesh film and album. He also finds time to do a bit of promotion for Apple's new Ravi Shankar feature movie "Raga" as well as some pre-promotion for the forthcoming triple album set of "The Concert For Bangladesh".

OCTOBER 15
    George attends the infamous Rick Nelson "Garden Party" concert at New York's Madison Square Garden. He also visits with Rick backstage. This is the concert that inspires Nelson's hit song "Garden Party". Also reportedly present are John & Yoko as both ex-Beatles are cryptically mentioned in the lyrics of Rick's hit song but it has been definitely confirmed that John did not attend.

NOVEMBER 7
    George gives an interview to local New York radio station WPLJ where he discusses the soon to be released films and their accompanying soundtrack albums "Raga" & "The Concert For Bangladesh".

NOVEMBER 22
    George, Ravi Shankar and John & Yoko attend a special press screening of the Apple film "Raga" at the Carnegie Hall cinema in New York. The film goes on general release the next day.

NOVEMBER 23
    An appearance by George on the Dick Cavett Show is filmed and broadcast on U.S television this day from New York. Also on the show is Ravi Shankar and George's mate, Gary Wright with his band Wonderwheel who open the show with a wonderful performance of a song called "Two-Faced Man" accompanied by George on slide guitar.

NOVEMBER 24
    An appearance by George on The David Frost Show is filmed in New York and broadcast on U.S television on December 3. George performs, backing his friend, David Bromberg on the song "The Hold-Up" which George co-wrote with Bromberg. Following this George is interviewed along with Ravi Shankar who at one point encourages George to play some sitar.

15. brainwashed

My guess is that the picture in question originates between Nov 7 and Nov. 24. His hair and beard are a bit different than the August Bangladesh photos, and close to the Dick Cavett appearance. The January 1970 session for My Sweet Lord for Billy Preston would have shown George with long hair and no beard, or at most the beginning of one. The session also took place in England and George didn't travel to the US until the last week of April 1970. The first linked picture with Pete Bennett was taken in May 1970 and George's hair was getting longer, not shorter. Ron

16. klaatuhf

Heres the pics I have of George in 1971.. might help pinpoint the rare ones starting with him in May at John's sessions; With Art Garfunkel at a Beach Boys/Carly Simon concert in Central Park on July 2; Promo photo shoot presumably for Bangladesh single? and then at the Bangladesh PC on July 27

Attached Files:

17. klaatuhf

I'll skip the Bangladesh concert as we all know the pics from then. Next is George filming a scene with Yoko for the "Imagine" film on Sept 6 then a pic of George on the QEII ship leaving New York for England on Sept 8. Next is at the Apple Studios opening on Sept 30 then Dick Cavett Show on Nov 23 and David Frost Show Nov 24.

Attached Files:

18. klaatuhf

Finally heres an undated one (Circa June/July) of George with fellow muso Don Nix out fishing! Would love to know their connection along with George's connection to David Bromberg and how they came to write the fantastic song "The Hold-Up"!

Attached Files:

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You know what I think when I look at those pics? How is it possible this man is 28 years old??? That hair and beard really aged George! He looks like he's 50! :D

20. That picture looks the same as one posted on a blog by 'child of nature', who I believe is a SHF member, and appears to be from a magazine article featuring George. The article is by Peter Doggett, illustrations by Pete Nash.
    Link: http://childofnaturebeatles.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html
    It's the second picture down. The picture there is clearer, but has some text over the pic.

Maybe Alison can shed some light on this.

21. klaatuhf

So has any experts out there got any ideas?

22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Uncropped version of the pic with Klaus Vormann along with Pete Ham at Apple Studios. Details (better seen in the larger version in post no. 10) do seem to be a match with those seen in the larger, uncropped magazine version of the photo (post no. 20) from the OP.

Attached Files:

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Another pic from Apple Studios, attributed to Michael Putland (as appears to be the case in the others as well):

Attached Files:

25. klaatuhf

Damn you know what.. I think you are right!! I was looking at a smaller low rez pic and it seemed the collar of the shirt underneath was actually the top part of the collar of the suit so to me it didn't match the collar of the suit at the Apple studios! plus his beard looked longer and fuller. Camera angles and lighting really do change the perspective of photos. I had never seen that last Michael Putland pic.. its a good one. Thanks soo much JFS3.
    Now is there any pics from the press preview of the "Raga" movie that George and John & Yoko attended in New York on Nov 22 1971? Two Beatles in the one place didn't get one photographer taking a snap?? Hard to believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.