Can I just add a washer between sub platter and platter to get the extra height I need?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by adamdube, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident Thread Starter

The table is a Music Hall MMF5 (original issue).

I tried to install a Q-Up and it's just too tall, by about 2 MM for it to sit under the arm while playing. Looks like I can upgrade the platter for about $120 and have plenty of clearance.

But I was wondering if a large washer from the hardware section would work in between the sub platter and glass platter the LP sits on.

Possible issues? all I really need is 2MM of extra height.....of course I would have to adjust the VTA after but are there any other potential issues to worry about, damage?

2. adamdube

anyone?

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think that would be a serious mistake. I can't imaging throwing a metal washer between your platter and subplatter wouldn't effect all kinds of things like stability, vibration and sound. I don't know if anyone has done it, but I'm much rather see if you could sand 2mm off the bottom of the q-up, but I don't know what the guts of those things look like. How about removing the foam pad from the little q-up arm? I dont' think that's all that necessary.

adamdube likes this.
  4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Just don't do it. You've got the Que up at it's lowest, no extra platforms and it's still to tall?

5. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Just add a cork mat...

Bubbamike likes this.
  6. adamdube

So i tried a rubber washer, to eliminate any vibration/ringing a metal one might cause and a cork mat to get the space and all seems to be fine. watching it closely though.....not a long term thing I think.

I called music direct and apparently there is an upgrade out there Acri-plat that is a full 1/2 taller than the stock platter.

But, when I emailed Music Hall I was told it *should* work. How can they not know?

Time to invest I think, much more reliable and appropriate solution.

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Adding a washer is fine, as in it's not going to hurt anything, but it WILL affect the sound. Whether that's good or bad remains to be evaluated by you. A better solution, as the others have suggested, is to add a mat or even a stack of mats. Again, you'll need to decide which one(s) sound best.

krisbee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.