Can someone explain to me the basics of CD masterings vs mix/remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi
    I am not an audiophile as such so would appreciate your input on the below questions

1. What constitutes a different mastering? If only the levels are raised, is this enough to quality as a unique mastering? What other differences imply a different mastering?
    2. When unique masterings are identified, are we saying that they were mastered by different mastering engineers? And what factors explain why one master sounds different to another?
    3. What is the difference between mastering and pressing? Do some people claim that where a CD is pressed has an impact upon sound quality?
    4. What is the difference between a mastering and remix? For instance does a mastering engineer have the ability to bring certain sounds/instruments to the front of the recording? To make the bass deeper?
    5. They said that early CDs used the LP master. Why then do few CDs sound identical to the original LP pressing?

Thanks in advance from this newbie.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Someone can (and probably will) answer this better than I will, but I'll try to give some basics.

A different mastering (or a remaster) is when they go back to the original tapes and prepare them for a new mastering. That's vague, I know. The 'original tapes' can be a 1st generation master tape (best case) or a multiple generation backup copy (worst case). Those that truly care try to use a 1st generation tape, generally speaking. Also, the machine used to transfer the tapes should be set up optimally (aligned heads, test tones, etc.) to achieve the best sound. Some EQ and level adjustments (volume) can be applied somewhere along this chain. Making the volume so loud that it actually distorts, even on the final product, is mostly a modern practice known on this forum, and elsewhere, as the Loudness Wars. For us audiophiles, that's very undesirable.

A remix is when they use the multi-track tapes and readjust the levels of the individual instrument and vocal tracks (i.e. make the drums louder, mix out the annoying tambourine and make the background vocals quieter). And yes, they can make the bass deeper. All 'new' 5.1 surround mixes are actually remixes, unless the quadrophonic master tapes from the 1960s or 1970s are used "as is". Generally speaking, a remix has the potential to alter the sound more than a remastering (for better or worse).

A pressing is when the actual CD, or vinyl album, is actually created. The Beatles Revolver CD has a 1987 pressing and a 2009 pressing (the 2009 pressing was remastered, but not remixed). I believe the vinyl album of Revolver has had many different pressings with the original one being released in 1966. The vinyl pressings varied from country to country as well - the US pressing had fewer songs than the UK pressing, for example. Different vinyl pressings can get a bit confusing for various reasons - I'll leave it for someone with a better understanding to elaborate.

Anyway, this is a basic description. If I got anything wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Hope this helps.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It might be of help to specifically state that a "remaster" uses the already mixed 2-track (channel) tape as opposed to multitrack tapes prior to mixdown....just a possibly clearer way of saying what you already said; other than that I think your clarification (the vinyl variations notwithstanding) is great.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Simply put, for stereo mastering is making the most of a two channel tape. Mixing is creating the two channel tape, usually from a multi-track tape.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nicely put. Can anyone-in simple terms- explain the specifics as to why certain vinyl pressings of the same mix sound better than others..?

bataclan2002 likes this.
  6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

simply, it would be down to the the mastering engineer, the quality of the gear he used, how he cut the master and then the quality of the vinyl.

DK Pete and fluffskul like this.
  7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Mastering!

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Excellent summary. Although nowadays, tape might be the media but the concept is the same.

9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Yes this is a very good and helpful way of putting it. Can anyone say more about mastering, i.e., what it involves specifically? What is done with the two channel tape? Thanks.

10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Add compression or echo, change the channel balance, add some EQ, and so on.

bataclan2002 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.