Can Someone Explain Why Anyone Would Want to See a "Tribute Band"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Some tribute bands I'd love to see (as long as they were good at it)

1.The Ramones
    2.T-Rex
    3.The Stooges
    4.Ziggy era Bowie

2. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Yes, that was part of the issue for the band, as a whole. In order to keep performing Jeff Lynne penned songs, Bev had to leave. But in the same stroke, the band could not use ELO, Electric Light Orchestra in their name. It was only years later that they could use the sub-title "Former members of the Electric Light Orchestra and ELO Part 2".

[​IMG]

Jeff Lynne also owns the copyright to all ELO Part 2 songs.
    In fact, I just saw a couple of sealed ELO Part 2 CDs, on a new label in a Hastings store just this past weekend.

3. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

This is kinda like asking who would want to see their childhood rock stars still performing live and being grey haired and 63 years old, doing the same 15-20 songs over and over...??

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

But he sued them because they were using the name Electric Light Orchestra which he owned. I think Bev was a part owner as well at one point. Did he sell his rights to this or did he lose them as part of the lawsuit?

I can understand Jeff's frustration because on the radio ads I'd hear to promote their shows they used the actual ELO songs and the fact that it was 'part 2' wasn't always very clear. In fact I remember seeing listings for when they played where it just said Electric Light Orchestra.

It's a messy situation for sure and it could have been handled better I'm sure.

5. :righton: I adore The Beach Boys, but The Fendertones can recreate their complex studio tracks in a live environment better than The Beach Boys ever did. I've love to see them!

6. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed. In order to settle the suit, Bev sold the rights to the ELO name to Jeff Lynne and agreed never to perform ELO songs again. Later the band (sans Bevan) sued Lynne and won the right to reference their linage to ELO in their moniker.

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i used to live on long island,ny. there, the bars only wanted tribute bands while just a short ride away in new york city, only original bands. i played in both so i was able to do both. for some reason though, blues was ok in new york even if it was all covers.

i like the fact that some tribute bands are better than the remaining members of the original groups.

8. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

That's what it's all about.

I think some folks in the US don't realise they are a bit spoiled as far as touring acts go. If I had seen Van Halen ten times, I probably wouldn't be as inclined to see every gig a tribute band did. I've seen them a grand total of zero times, however, so hearing that stuff live in any form is very appealing.

I can't decide if I like playing it in a tribute band or being in the audience more, though. On stage, I wish I could just go out and enjoy it with a drink in my hand, but in the audience I think "Oh man, I should be playing that song!" :laugh:

9. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I agree. I never understood the appeal. The only way I think I could enjoy a show by a tribute band is if I were blindfolded during the entire performance. And even then I don't know if I could fully enjoy it.

10. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

I think the market allows for a symbiotic relationship between tribute bands and the people who go see them. Tribs attract the fan and the non-fan. The big plus for the audience is that there's minimal commitment involved.

'Hey Joe, how would you like walk or drive 10 minutes and pay 6 bucks to listen to (for example) 'faux U2' live music all night long?' It's a nice gap filler provided the entertainment is worth the audiences effort to get there.

While we never had tribute nights, my old cover band (whose schtick was to 'sound like the record') had enough material in our cover catalog to pull off individual tributes for:

The Smiths, New Order (as a bassist, either of these two would have been top choices for me) U2, Depeche Mode, Sisters of Mercy, and probably could've eeked out a George Michael, Sound Garden or Nine Inch Nails set.

Would I go see one or be one? NO, seven years (upwards of 1,700 'shows') working clubs and it's very rare that I'd drag myself out to a bar (for any reason whatsoever) :)

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I got to see The Fab Four. It was fun, the guys in the band worked hard and were funny, and it was great to hear Beatles songs live in that context. Plus, the rest of the audience loved it, too.

For one night, I got to pretend that I was seeing The Beatles. That was good enough for me.

12. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

well you understand why people go and see cover bands, right?

just take it a step further. i've been in several tribute bands and it's all about paying homage to a band that moves you enough musically to want to play an entire night of their songs. and then hopefully having enough fans of that band to make it pay off.

and there are degrees of making it a tribute visually. there's a local beatles band here whose george is over 60, but still does the wig and the suits. that gets a bit silly to me.

the tribute bands i play with now are really more cover bands, we don't dress or act like them, but still try and be as close as we can musically.

i'm currently in tribute bands for rush (i do all the geddy parts), the doors (i do the kreiger parts), and the police (i do most of the lead vocals and lead guitar).

it's fun and there are a lot of people who are into those bands enough to come and see us.

bottom line is IT'S A LOT OF FUN and it's paying homage to bands we really love!!

13. If the original band isn't there anymore and the tribute band can really sound like them, it's a nice way to still hear the music you love live.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What Song Is It You Wanna Hear ?

It was 2003, Summer, Billy Powell was still alive, and Gary Rossington was still there...I had always liked Hughie Thomasson, throughout his stint with The Outlaws, and word was they were filming our show for a DVD, so I thought " what the hell ? "

It apparently was all I needed in the way of closure, and finally letting go.
    Shortly after that, I sold everything that didn't include Ronnie Van Zant, and I've never regretted it since.
    To each his own, whatever floats your boat, etc.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd should've been allowed to end that October night in the swamp, 1977. I've even thought, in retrospect, that the original one year tour plan of 1987-1988 never should've taken place.

15. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

1964, TheTribute....was great as The Beatles. Lotsa fun.

But generally I couldn't care less about tribute bands.

However...the VERY BEST 'tribute' band I've seen/heard is Zappa Plays Zappa, Frank's son Dweezil on guitar and a superb group of backing musicians.

I know a lot of people like that John Bonham's son, Jason, does the Led Zeppelin Experience 'tribute', and as much as I love old Zep, this rehash does NOTHING for me. Hmmmmm....:sigh:

16. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Red Hot Chili Peppers don't play most of their 80s stuff, their 1995 album One Hot Minute and most of their non-album tracks. Even people who aren't too big fans of the band wonder why they don't play Aeroplane anymore.

As a result there is a healthy environment for tribute bands, who play all of this stuff plus more obvious material. As they aren't the band, there isn't the pressure for them to do a greatest hits set all the time.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I get the impression that the band just doesn't like One Hot Minute as an album much- possibly because Anthony was on drugs for much of the recording sessions. Or it could have something to do with Dave Navarro

18. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Seeing a tribute band? Beyond my comprehension. They are no real musicians IMHO.
    In our city, there is a concert series at the fish harbour, during which they exclusively show tribute bands. Of course, it is a touristic site but why don't they book and support local bands?

19. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

I highly recommend Dark Star Orchestra, if you get a chance to see them ... they tour and replicate entire concerts each night from the Grateful Dead live canon, and they do it oh so well:

" Grateful Dead fans are notorious for their unflinching dedication to the legendary California jam band and its iconic music. But in 1997, seven Deadheads from Chicago took the cover band concept to towering new heights. They formed Dark Star Orchestra with the intent of reproducing complete historical Grateful Dead shows and quickly built their own fervent fan base, much of which was still mourning the 1995 death of Dead founder and frontman Jerry Garcia.

In the 15 years since, Dark Star Orchestra has proudly carried the torch of their hardworking forebears, performing more than 2,000 live shows that combine a ridiculous attention to detail with the Dead’s trademark spirit of improvisation. And, like any true Deadhead, they’ve meticulously documented each one — set lists, original venues, arcane minutia and all. In the ultimate form of validation, various Grateful Dead members have toured and performed with Dark Star Orchestra; DSO co-founder John Kadlecik even received the biggest promotion of his life when, in 2009, he was asked by OG Dead members Phil Lesh and Bob Weir to join their new band, Furthur. "

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I actually find this thread hilarious and I am not in any way making fun of the people posting in it or the OP. The reason I find it hilarious is that a lot of people on this forum think that most bands out there are tribute bands. Meaning they wouldn't go see this or that band because this member doesn't play anymore, etc......just some examples of bands I have personally read that being said about:
    Skynyrd
    Journey
    Styx
    The Who
    Guns and Roses
    Kiss
    Queen
    Yes
    Pink Floyd
    Allman Brothers
    AC/DC
    CCR
    etc........

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A band consists of it's members, and their talents as musicians. If there were 7 guys on those albums, and on that stage when I saw them originally, and now there's ONE...yeah, that's a Tribute band.

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Why do people go to classical musical concerts, even though the composer / conductor is long dead?

You can't see a real Beatles concert anymore, unfortunately. And even certain bands like RHCP or U2 will be a different experience now (track listing and price) than it would have been 25+ years ago. A tribute band has its niche and obviously some people feel it's worth paying for or else they wouldn't exist.

I've never seen Rain but I would love to go see them with my kids (if I could convince them hahaha). I bet it would be a blast.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is also the hair metal tribute band "Hairball" which has come to my area a lot of times.

24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

John didn't want to play the songs from One Hot Minute (because he apparently never listened to the album). Anthony doesn't want to either because they make him feel uneasy. Anthony however doesn't like the Californication era either (especially Otherside), and he wouldn't perform stuff from then if it wasn't for the fact people expect them.

Flea has played Pea by himself in recent years, and if I'm not mistaken Josh and Flea teased the intro of Warped on this tour.

The band are on good terms with Dave Navarro and it's definitely nothing to do with him.

25. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Spot on! Sometimes they are almost as good, if not better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.