Can Someone Explain Why Anyone Would Want to See a "Tribute Band"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

And a great excuse for wearing leather pants.

2. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Have to chime in and agree on The Musical Box...never seen them as they rarely play on this "side of the pond" but I've heard they are amazing.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

When I was 10 or so I saw Beatlemania and then bought the original cast recording. While I understand seeing the show, I scratch my head about what got me to think buying the album was a good idea (other than it being with my parents' money most likely)

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Bands with only 1 or 2 original members I would call a tribute band. The current Foghat for sure and Yes is dangerously close to being one. I still enjoy watching these bands live though.

5. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Why would anyone go to see a philharmonic orchestra play Beethoven's 9th Symphony? Beethoven ain't gonna be there, and there are a lot of good recordings you can get your hands on.

To me, it's the same thing for rock/pop. Live music is fun, always a little different, and sometimes pure genius. It complements the recorded versions and original artists, it doessn't denegrate them.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Last time I played in a live band was for a few minutes on stage at the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas, CA. There were five of us up there all of a sudden, we didn't know each other, never rehearsed so we did "Takin' Care Of Business" for the biker crowd, "Blue Suede Shoes" and one other song (Creedence) which I have entirely forgotten.

We sounded pretty good, played a few songs and got out of there. The crowd cheered us for each song.

Were we a tribute band? We played no "original" songs.

This thread is pretty silly when you think about it. Playing something live is exciting and neat for both the musicians and audience, especially when they can sing along.

7. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Q: Can Someone Explain Why Anyone Would Want to See a "Tribute Band"?
    A: No, but I like the name Lez Zeppelin

8. "like copping a feel of a mannequin in a department store, then telling your buddies you went to "second base" with a girl "

----I don't know, some of those mannequins seem more real/realistic than the original bands themselves :)

9. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

I have to give one more shout-out to The Musical Box. If your a prog rock fan and they play in your town do yourself a favor and check them out. It's a wild evening. Here's a blurb from their web page:

"The Musical Box, the only band in the world to acquire from Peter Gabriel and Genesis the performing rights and access to archives, audio tracks and original slideshow for "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", re-stages 25 years later the original concert in painstaking details.

The show, critically acclaimed, is a great success and is produced in some of the most prestigious amphitheaters in the world, such as London's Royal Albert Hall and the Paris' Olympia. In 2005, Phil Collins join(ed) the band on stage in Geneva.

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" reclaimed its deserving glory.

In 2008, Serge Morissette, The Musical Box' artistic director, participates in the re-editing of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and recreates the original slide show sequence...".

Check out this link: http://themusicalbox.net/

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The current Styx is very close to being a tribute band as well

11. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

ok
    was the original poster using the phrase 'tribute band' to describe a cover band of local musicians playing all cover songs by one band

or

a popular band that has like very few remaining original members?

i think some people in this thread are confusing what we're really talking about here

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

What the OP was really talking about is a cover band of musicians playing all cover songs by one band.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

And pretending to actually BE that band.

14. Myke,

What I meant was that the beauty in Steely Dan’s music is the refinement of the music and the interplay among all the different instruments. A person’s ears are overwhelmed when the music is played too loud and all the subtlety of their music is lost. The band was so loud that I had to leave half way through. I haven’t been to a concert that loud in years. My ears rang for hours afterward. Plus, the venue had no acoustical treatment and the music sounded like mush.

I noticed that you live in Gladstone Park. I grew up in Jefferson Park. Based on your avitar, did you hang aroung The Cellar in Arlington Heights when you were a kid?

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You did not pretend to BE Randy Bachman or Fogerty, you just played their songs. No tribute band to see here. Move along...

16. I am not sure if that is a good idea. Just ask Ross from the TV show Friends.

17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Well, I guess it depends on what the definition of a 'tribute band' is. If it's a band you like and there's at least one original band member touring with the group, then I think it's worth going to see in my opinion.

For example, I'm a big Doors fan and enjoy seeing Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger perform when they play close by. People have called that a tribute band, but I disagree. I think they're well worth seeing, and NOT a tribute band.

Now, if there's no original members, then I agree that it 'may' not be really worth seeing. However, I guess if you love the music, then you love the music regardless of who's playing it.

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Good answer.

I can understand it more now than when the phenomenon first hit critical mass. It bothered me in the late-70's and early-80's because there was so much good original music around.

But some of my favorite bar bands in college performed 90% covers so if a band can deliver some good music for free or at a low cover-charge with a minimum of flamboyant nonsense and maybe a touch of humor, it could certainly be fun. Going to an Elvis impressionists convention in Vegas would be a hoot.

Not that I'm likely to ever find out, but hypothetically...

19. serge

serge Forum Resident

rising ticket prices are driving an explosion in tribute bands.. i'm seeing tribute bands putting on shows at venues that in the past would never have hosted them...

20. 905

905 Senior Member

I've seen great Beatles and Who tribute bands. It's nice to hear their songs live and played well.

21. RocknBluz

RocknBluz Member

Australian Pink Floyd is one of the best if not the best tribute bands I have ever seen. They come with all the stage lightshow, lazers and their own Flying Kangaroo! They do not hold back on putting the money back into the show. For a fun night of good music check them out :righton:

22. serge

serge Forum Resident

another vote for Kajamahl!

23. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You take life far far far to seriously.

24. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I saw a Nirvana tribute band a couple weeks ago. I missed the real thing when they came to Buffalo in '93. The cover band was fun for a goof.

BTW, they did not in anyway try to "be" Nirvana in anyway. Just 4 normal looking dudes playing some good songs. Maybe I should have said "cover band." Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread.....I only read part of it, heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.