Can someone help with Wharfedale W60E speaker info? (specifications, history, etc.)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gang Twanger, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for that link. That's the earlier, ported model (I love the look of those alnico woofers). I've been hitting different CT Goodwill and thrift stores looking for the earlier models, but no luck. Still, with the varied types of music I listen to, I tend to think that the later acoustic-suspension version is more my speed. And on mine, the bass doesn't have that lumpy sound to it. It's not as tight as some of the later, more-accurate-sounding woofers I've heard, but they're great for my situation. I don't really like a lot of the expensive "accurate-sounding" speakers I've heard over the last 20 years. Accurate or not, I like the warmth.

Info is sketchy with the older Wharfedale speakers, but I've come up with the same specs for the W60E that you did - 50w RMS power handling (per speaker), same sensitivity ratings, etc. No sand in the E series cabinets though (although they must have learned another way to avoid cabinet resonance because mine hardly give off any vibrations at all (less than any other speaker I've had). I also think the E models from the early '70's are the best-looking Wharfedales (NOT those later ones without the W that have those ugly metal trim rings around the front face of the drivers - Those seem to be a different thing altogether).

2. Gang Twanger

I'm currently powering my W60E's with an old, mid '70's Rotel receiver (It's either 20w or 25w per channel), and the sound is great. Surprisingly, the little Rotel does a much-better job with those speakers than my NAD 3140 integrated amp ('81-'83) - I think the NAD is more of an "accurate"-sounding amp, and the Wharfedales (even the acoustic-suspension models of the D and E series) seem to prefer a warmer-sounding source - and my Rotel is definitely warm. It's still not enough power though - On quieter stuff, I have to turn it up halfway if I want some decent volume, and any more than that and the amp seems like it's straining (I suspect that the difference between half-volume and full-volume is not very-much with this setup). It sounds great though. As soon as I get my Sansui 4000 working properly, I'll switch to that, but I'm getting such good sound right now that I'm not in a huge hurry to get the Sansui fixed (plus the money isn't available at the moment anyway).

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Check out Spendor and Tannoy speakers. They are cleaner, more accurate, and yet still warm. Some are very warm sounding and have good bass. Size matters there.
    -Bill

4. Gang Twanger

I assume you mean "Splendor". I've been told that these speakers are right up my alley (Oh, maybe it was you). I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

5. Gang Twanger

Yeah, the earlier W60 (the original W60, along with the B and C models) was a whole different animal from the later W60D and W60E. The original, ported W60, like you said, used alnico magnets while the later "D" and "E" acoustic-suspension models used ceramic. Now, in the world of guitar amp speakers, the alnico ones were known to have a warmer sound that smoothed-out as the speaker approached breakup, while the ceramic ones were known to get more-harsh-sounding at breakup levels and had a slightly-harder sound but with more punch. I'm not yet sure how this applies to the world of home audio (since home audio speakers are designed differently), but I have to think it applies in some way, shape, or form.

6. Gang Twanger

Wharfedale must have started making those later and much-uglier "E Series" models around (E60 with no "W" at the beginning - Completely-different from the W60e, W70E, etc.). Those were the ones with the metal trim rings surrounding each of the drivers - Classy, and so-late '70's! I have no idea how they sound (They probably sound good actually, but they're not the most-attractive looking speakers I've ever seen).

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Spendor it was - Spendor UK.
    I did suggest them as their better models fit your description of the type of sound that you were after. I also let you know about the used set that I had here which are quite rare. They are smaller than the W60E and yet sound better, IMO.
    -Bill

8. Gang Twanger

Oops, I meant to say "Wharfedale must have started making those later and much-uglier "E Series" models around '78 - I assume it was the successor to the '73-'77 "E" series like I have [W60E, W70E, etc].

9. David Jackson

David Jackson New Member

Hi Rolf,
    I have a pair of 60s which I guess are the older ones, bought new in 61 or 63 I think. Are the photos of the
    inside of those or of the newer 60 ds or es?

10. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I had a pair, the W60's as Rolf has posted. They were HEAVY beasts, built like wooden tanks. Excellent low end, "mellow" high end. They were made for tube gear, and really sang with my old Scott. I wish I still had them, I gave them away when I moved because there just wasn't room in the truck for them. :(

11. Xarl

Xarl New Member

Hi, just bought full set W60e with ceramic magnet, rubber surrounds, aluminum voice coils 15 Watt 30 Watt Max peak 12_15 Oms. 12 inch whoofer specs only. Looking for more info fumdermentle come resonance. Total Qts-Sens bB would be handy as I'd like to build some 9cuft boxes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.