Can someone please explain what IPODS are all about?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I know it holds a bunch of songs on a small hard drive but do you rip them from a stardard cd player or do you have to have a MAC computer?

2. michael w

michael w New Member

3. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Dino.....BUY ONE!!

I own over 5,000$ worth of Audio equipment and guess what? The 250$ IPOD I have is my favorite piece.

Get the Windows version,and dont bother with the Musicmatch software that comes with is...too confusing.

Download Ephpod and use that. Its fast and easy.

Trust me on this one...you wont regret it!!

Mikey

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm on my second iPod...just got the 15Gig to replace my original 5G whose FireWire port finally gave out after so many plug-in, plug outs.

It's not only a music player but a very important part of my business. As a Mac user, I can mount it as a hard drive on any FireWire-capable Mac. I have applications, databases, graphics, movies...even a bootable OSX on it with all my disk utility software. Hopefully they'll make this a feature for Windows users soon. A truly wondrous piece of technology.

6. Dean De Furia

Mike,
    It sure sounds tempting, that's for sure! If I do it will be the 30GB version. I was worried about interface problems with Windows which I have no patience for. If Ephpod is that good, I'm a buyer.

7. RetroSmith

Oh yea, Ephod is a winner. Its really easy to use. And yes, by all means go for the 30 gig. It wasnt out when I got mine ( a year ago). I'm even tempted to sell mine on EBAY and get the new 30!!

Good luck!!

Mikey

8. Dean De Furia

Well, Is anyone offering any kind of a deal on these? They all seem to be about the same price everywhere.

9. pdenny

Dean, Apple is a hard nut when it comes to discounts. If you're trying to save a few bucks, order via a PC Warehouse kind of place; at least you'll skip the sales tax, depending on where you live.

Apple's repair warranty also stinks on ice. I decided this time to get my iPod at CompUSA here in LA; for $60 they have a two-year no-questions-asked replacement warranty. Peace of mind for me considering the thanks-for-nothing I got from Apple when my 5G iPod croaked after 14 months.

10. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I love my IPOD as well. I just used it at the gym this morning. I am a Windows user and use Ephpod. That Musicmatch software is HORRIBLE and should be avoided like the plague.

I have an original 10gig model, so I had to buy a firewire card to use it. the new models use USB 2.0, but Firewire is lightyears faster and I got my for $20 on the web of buy.com I think. It was a closeout.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Should I wait for the new iPods? I hear they're going to have video playback also.

I've avoided getting one because that MP3 sound annoys the heck out of me. Even at the higher bit rates I hear it.

12. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

There was speculation that the newest models were going to have video playback. I guess with all technology, it gets outdated. But, my original IPOD is just as good as the new one minus a few added games, a slightly smaller size (the edges are rounded, giving an even thinner appearance) and the buttons are configured a bit differently. To my knowledge, there was no major software upgrades or anything.

You could probably find a good old one on EBAY for short money and save yourself a bundle.

13. Dean De Furia

The only thing that it seems not to have is random play. I would be cool to let the unit randomly choose from 7000 songs!

14. pdenny

Sure it does! In fact, you can choose random play for songs OR albums; it's in the settings menu under SHUFFLE. Just go get one, fer cryin' out loud!!!

15. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

You can do that on the old IPOD. You need to put it on

Settings - Shuffle - Songs

and then select from the songs list, your first song. From then on, it will shuffle. If you do it from within the artist or album folder, it will only shuffle that artists' tracks or within that album.

BOB

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A complete redesign comes beginning of 2004 :thumbsup:

17. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I haven't gotten one yet, but am strongly tempted because with both versions you can use .wav files. Of course, you can't store nearly as much music, but even on a 5gb model that works out to 7 full length cds.

18. RetroSmith

then again their is the Archos video/audio player which is probably, the coolest thing I have ever seen. Will record video for you right from your VCR ot TV!!!! I need to watch "Get Smart" while I'm on the PATH train going to work.

19. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Originally posted by Dean De Furia
    Well, Is anyone offering any kind of a deal on these? They all seem to be about the same price everywhere.

Dean,

audible.com has been offering a $100 discount on an ipod with 1 yr. membership in audible.

They offer a wide range of books for ez download, plus daily programming from NPR, NY Times, biz mags, etc. The membership has some options on material, but I think it amts to getting a year of the service for $50 that would normally be $150.

I have an ipod, and have been tempted to upgrade via this discount. A friend here just got the new 30gig and love, love loves it. (Her G5 is on order, so she's not "normal.")

The total redesign referenced in this thread is news to me.

doug

20. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

My buddy is buying an Apple notebook. For doing this he gets an IPOD at a greatly reduced price ($85 for 10GB). He is getting the Windows version for me because he doesn't want it. Does anybody know if ephpod will work without Macopener if the IPOD is set up specifically for Windows? I know I have to buy a USB2.0 or Firewire card but it's an extra 39.95 for MacOpener.

Thanks
    Bob

21. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

You don't need the Macopener for ephod/windows. It explains this on the Ephod website.

Jay

22. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Not sure of the specifics, but Ephpod seems to work on a Windows IPOD without the Mac Opener. I guess it was created to use a Mac IPOD on a Windows machine before the Windows version existed.

I would go firewire. It is pretty darn fast.

BOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.