Can someone recommend some really good multichannel SACDs?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoyH, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyH

RoyH Active Member Thread Starter

I thought maybe there was a thread for this already but couldn’t find one in search.

Can someone recommend some really good multichannel SACDs? I’m just staring out and for reference I love anything from Jazz to Classic Rock. Anything but rap though I would doubt a Rap MC SACD exists. Thank you in advance for helping a newbie

2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Some of them are new mixes, and some of them are the old quad mixes (so 4.0 for those).
    Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Wish you were Here
    Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits
    Queen A Night at the Opera and The Game

Jazz hasn't produced a whole too many. Basie has a few (but more stereo-only ones), and these are usually the newer incarnations of the band--which shouldn't be read asa dismissal of them.

Some people here like the Kind of Blue surround mix but I absolutely hate it. It's the 5.1 equivalent of 'rechannelled for stereo!'--with reverb on the rears.

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

RoyH likes this.
  4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Sorry. As I posted that, I realised some of those titles are DVD-A.

RoyH likes this.
  5. RoyH

Anyone have any feedback on Roger Waters The Wall?

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The Berlin live show? It's not a very exciting 5.1 mix. Like with most live concerts, the rear speakers are mostly used for ambience and audience, not instruments or sound effects. The surround SACD of "Dark Side Of The Moon" is a good starting point and you should be able to find it for a somewhat acceptable price, unlike many other older SACDs. Beck's "Sea Change" has a fantastic surround mix, but it goes for silly prices nowadays.

RoyH and Gardo like this.
  7. Mark Knopfler - "Shangri-La".

8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

If you like Jethro Tull ANY of the box sets.(that are still available that is)

DonnyMe and RoyH like this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There really isn't as much to choose from strictly with SACD in multi-channel and many of the old favorites from the past are hard to find now. A lot more options open up with DVD/BR. Here are some that I have in SACD: Bob Dylan, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, The Who's Tommy, Steely Dan's Gaucho, Roxy Music's Avalon (those two are hard to find now).

RoyH and Echoes71 like this.
  10. sbrom

sbrom Forum Resident

Several of Elton John’s albums are available as mc SACD’s, at reasonable cost. Great sound, good mix.

My favorite classic rock MC SACD is Deep Purple’s Machine Head (UK mix, not U.S.).

Dynamic, clear, powerful, discrete!
    =========

FYI the poll results on quadraphonicquad.com are here. An invaluable resource!

QuadraphonicQuad - Surround Polls

fredblue, scobb, RoyH and 2 others like this.
  11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

If you are open to jazz that is more on the experimental side of things, I HIGHLY recommend most any SACD release on the Songlines label. Most can be found for very little money (several titles are only $8-10 on Amazon) and I have yet to be disappointed in quality of music, fidelity, and surround mix. I would recommend starting with any of these:

Aros - Train Song
    Jerry Granelli V16 (any of their three albums)
    Patrick Zimmerli - Phoenix

Also, the Audio Fidelity SACD releases (Alice Cooper "Muscle of Love", BOC "Secret Treaties", Best of The Doors etc.) are very well done, as are the recent releases on Dutton Vocalion (Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane, Pure Prairie League, etc).

I also like the Roger Waters Amused to Death SACD surround mix, though I know it has its detractors...

12. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Roy Orbison "Black & White Night" SACD is spectacular as well - and it comes packaged with the DVD!

jmrife, Stone Turntable and RoyH like this.
  13. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

RoyH, DaverJ and simon-wagstaff like this.
  14. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I'll recommend Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon", Steely Dan "Gaucho" and Roxy Music "Avalon" (it ain't cheap; but it's worth it).

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'll add Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills' "Super Session" to the list. I love Al Kooper's 5.1 on this. It's one of my "go tos" to show off 5.1 audio.

16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Original poster: Can you accept the general category of great surround music?
    I have an oppo, so I can play SACD, DVD Audio, and Blu Ray. There are some great multichannel SACD releases but also some great DVD Audio and Blu Ray releases.

Having said that, Roxy Music Avalon first release was surround on SACD and sounds great.

Tristero, jhm, RoyH and 1 other person like this.
  17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Two that I don’t see mentioned much that I Love are Duran Duran “ Astronaut” and Depeche Mode “Playing The Angel”. Roxy Music “Avalon” and Bryan Ferry “Boys And Girls”.

RoyH likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Beck - Sea Change
    Kodo - Mondo Head
    Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Herbie Hancock - Thrust
    Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller, Tail Spinnin'
    Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart

19. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Of the ones not listed so far:

Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
    Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde, Love and Theft, Slow Train Coming, Bringing It All Back Home
    Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
    Roger Waters - Ca Ira

I'm pretty sure of the multi-channel SACD's I own, that's everything aside from the Floyd titles already mentioned.

Crimson Witch and RoyH like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If you want top quality surround mixes then you must consider not only SACD but DVD-A, Dual Disc, and BluRay format titles. Even the ancient format of DTS CDs has some outstanding surround titles worth grabbing when found.

Of course one must comb the used market regularly.

impalaboy, Doug_B, fredblue and 4 others like this.
  21. RoyH

Absolutely!

22. RoyH

Absolutely

23. RoyH

Is the Duran Duran really great sounding? That was at the top of my list

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Of course there is also the Audio DVD format disc sometimes referred to as a DVD-V, Fleetwood Mac recently issued surround material on this format. The brand new Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed 50th is in DTS on this format as well and sounds great.

fredblue and RoyH like this.
  25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

[​IMG]

And related....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    mikmcmee, Jwest97, jfeldt and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.