Can we definitively list bands which were "killed" by grunge/Nirvana?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

No, we cannot.

2. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

As far as radio airplay goes, it declined/dropped-off when the grunge bands hit. Although "Real Thing" was released in '89, it's radio hit "Epic" and "Falling To Pieces" were 1990 radio hits, which propelled the sales of the album on the 90's.

3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

most of rock sucked before Nirvana ,so for me it was just more of the same ,Of course compared to the rotten music on the radio today ,Nirvana seems a lot better

4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yet Angel Dust sold more copies http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Dust_(Faith_No_More_album)

Lord Summerisle and MikeyP like this.
  5. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

According to Kip Winger, Beavis & Butthead killed Winger. He's held a big grudge against Mike Judge for a number of years now.

broccolid and MikeyP like this.
  6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm not sure it was the reason, but whatever killed off Styx and Journey, I'm all for giving Grunge credit!

Andrew and EasterEverywhere like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Beavis" debuted March 1993. Winger released "Pull" - a commercial flop - in May 1993. "Beavis" was popular right off the bat, but I don't think its "influence" would've worked that quickly. I think Kip is using "Beavis" as a scapegoat - I suspect Winger faded because of changing musical tastes, not because a supporting character on a TV cartoon wore a Winger shirt...

BluesOvertookMe and Holy Diver like this.
  8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Stewart wore a Winger shirt because Winger s*cked, Winger didn't s*ck because Stewart wore a Winger shirt.

Oh, and after 500+ posts no band has been definitely killed by Nirvana. Just sayin'.

ian christopher and Mij Retrac like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You mean "euthanized".

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

when frigo wasn't asked to play over the top he was just fine. he plays the guitar on "down hill", "wheels", "still have tonight", "clown on the town" and "on my way back home" from the bands album SEVEN, originally issued as BROTHERS in japan. i don't see any of these songs as having over the top playing by frigo who for some reason uses the alias kurt fang on seven.

anyways this band was hugely screwed over by image marketing of their record labels

RoryStorm likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

kip winger plays bass on a bob dylan album, enough said about how good he was on bass

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I guess no one is paying attention to my example where members of the band said they broke up and were essentially "killed" specifically because of Nirvana. So the answer is at least 1.

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

He can play bass (and Reb could play guitar) , but the songs on Winger albums was not of the quality to derive long-term enjoyment.

14. Matthew Tate

Junkyard dog was

15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Faith No More didn't get killed off by grunge. They had a cult following and in 1993 their cover of "Easy" was all over MTV, and prior to that, in 1992, "Midlife Crisis" was featured a lot on MTV despite being a little controversial.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  16. Mij Retrac

Just because the band thinks they were killed off by grunge/Nirvana doesn't mean they were.

17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Are the groups that tried to cross over to grunge included in the "killed off" list?

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They didn't "think" anything. They collectively broke up because of Nirvana...period.

19. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Hey I'm not slamming Frigo...I just think his "style" playing on the first couple of records emulated what most hair metal lead guitarists were doing at the time...and Enuff Znuff were never like your typical, run of the mill hair metal band. And you're right, they had all the appearances of your run of the mill, typical hair metal band due to crappy marketing...they should have been presented as anything but typical hair metal....they are so much better than that !!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Mij Retrac

I didn't see the your original post. What band is this?

21. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

When in your estimation did the coverage in the UK turn to Britpop?

22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Probably around the time of Creation records and their roster of bands started getting noticed. But most importantly Oasis in 1994 seemed like the real turning point.

noyoucmon likes this.
  23. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

I'm not sure grunge had that negative a impact on shoegaze bands. Yes, the UK press got a bit grunge obsessed but not to the total of exclusion of everything else. I love Ride's early EPs and debut LP but was not that impressed by anything that came later. I think this was mirrored by other shoegaze bands that did a great first album or an early set of EPs but failed to deliver anything that good afterwards. If they had delivered better material things may have been different.

With regards to Britpop I remember the NME being totally obsessed with Suede in 1993.

noyoucmon likes this.
  24. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i do not think Grunge/Nirvana had any neg effect on Brit pop in the UK but it badly affected/stymied many Britpop bands for getting any traction in the US.....

noyoucmon likes this.
  25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Soundgarden's Superunknown and Pearl Jam's Vitalogy were the last two swan song albums of the grunge era following the demise of Nirvana. After that the mainstream music scene shifted once again as music started to lighten up again. There was this period where it seemed like Hootie and the Blowfish was the biggest thing ever then Oasis blew up in America soon after.

noyoucmon likes this.