Can you answer three questions for me re: The New Beatles Vinyl Mono Reissues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sorry to start another Beatles thread but I have a few simple questions:

From reading the various threads here, I gather that some of you have obviously never heard the Beatles mono mixes before. How do you like the mono mixes? Don't be afraid, let me know your real thoughts. Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?

I also gather (and from many PM's asking for advice) that this Beatles Box is inspiring you to get a turntable for the first time or to revisit your old mothballed machine. Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing?

Thank you for answering, Forum Folk!

I will be having a Forum Giveaway with a BEATLES VINYL MONO BOX soon. Trying to get a Beatle or a Beatle related person to autograph it..

2. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Easy for me, Steve on Q1 - I didn't grow up with them (I started collecting Beatles in 1984, when most of my LPs were stereo, bar the odd mono cassette from friends' albums), but they just feel right. Records like Rubber Soul just sit nicely in their own space in mono and the mono Sgt Pepper's is a rock record, as opposed o the disjointed pop confection that I get from the stereo.

I'd definitely want to hear other well-done mono reissues - a good Village Green Preservation Society, for example? Deffo! There's other great, classic recordings that simply need to be out there - I've got an original, but why isn't there a mono reissue of Fresh Cream, for example? Mono is the only good way to hear that record and record-buyers around the world deserve the chance to get hold of it easily.

As for Q3: Hell yes! That said, I've been a returned vinyl addict for a couple of years now, so it was a total no-brainer for me anyway. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I grew up with the Beatles stereo records ( 61 years old ) but started collecting the Parlophone mono albums about five years ago. I now prefer the mono mixes and even though I own the originals, with the exception of Please Please Me, I still bought the mono box and would continue to buy mono releases from other performers. The Dylan mono box is another example of mono done right IMO. I enjoy CDs, SACDs, and records and will say that vinyl is and has been my favorite format.

schnulli, 24voltsdc and botley like this.
  4. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Steve,

First, I've had various pressings of mono recordings from different eras (being a student of 1950's Rockabilly, it's a must and sometimes the only way to get certain recordings!), and with The Beatles in particular, mono was the most available when going to flea markets and yard sales (almost all the time Capitol issues, but mono nonetheless).

I actually prefer mono for most of my listening, as you can hear the sonic composition a little better. You get a feel for the depth, to me anyway.

With these mixes (the 2014 issue), I can truly say that I have never heard The Beatles like this before. The clarity and depth is simply not paralleled in any prior issue of their music on vinyl. The mixes really bring out the "meeting ground" between what the band wanted and how it was translated by George Martin and the EMI people in the years they were recording.

It's never been more evident, to me, than in this set how successful that was.

As for other artists, I would definitely love to see more issued using the AAA method done for The Beatles LPs. I've always had a turntable and system set up to play vinyl, but I would definitely welcome other artists' albums in mono to either be used as my daily players in place of originals I have or to put ones in my collection I've always wanted but couldn't find or afford.

coffeetime, Ash76 and botley like this.
  5. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

1) liking the mono mixes ever since the mono cd box came out in 2009.

2) am VERY interested in further mono mixes that may become available for any music that i listen to, with vintage mixes (as opposed to recent remixes) being slightly preferable. i hope only that sound quality remains a priority.

3) new to vinyl (though a little before this release), but yes--releases of this quality will certainly lead to further purchases in this area.

smitquest

CybrKhatru, rxcory and botley like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I vote for George Martin :cool:

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

How do you like the mono mixes? I really like them! From the old days I'm a headphone-listener, but the purchase of some quite good loudspeakers has giving the 'vinyl-listening'-session a new dimension and these mono-mixes brings a nice depth to that. Maybe my ears are still used used to the 'stereo'-effect, but some records (Revolver, Pepper's) almost have a nice broad soundstage to them. I already had some of the mono-mixes, but on quite worn-out vinyl.
    Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released? Possibly. Might buy some Beach Boys-mono-versions, might try some other British bands like the Kinks in this more powerful medium....when my finances have recovered from this.....
    And about that last question: for 'casual' listing I'm not critical and Spotify and cd's are fine for me. For the serious listening a few times a week vinyl is the way to go! :)

TheTaxman likes this.
  8. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

A second vote for George Martin, not that you asked, or anything...

Yes, I like and buy mono mixes, depending on the material.

Chris

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I bought three so far—Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Way back in 1975 I was working at the East Pasadena "Wherehouse" records outlet. Nearby was another record store selling the Parlophone imports of the Beatle LPs. After having become accustomed to the US versions and developing an audiophile bent, I found the import copies a revelation. The CDs have all been disappointing to me including the mono CD box. The exception is the mash-up that is "Love", I have the DVD-Audio and play on a DVD player to better effect than the CD issues. But that issue is a fluke and not at all representative of the music's original intent. I have bought a number of different Beatles imports over the years, including Japanese and Dutch issues, odd in different and perplexing ways. And the stereo German Import of 'Magical Mystery Tour' has always been a favorite. I have owned a number of US Capitol Mono Beatles issues, usually in too worn a condition to make a rational critical judgement.

But of all these the new mono LPs have been outstandingly fine. The dynamic swing on the orchestral build-up in "A Day In The Life" sounds so much bigger and so much more menacing, the sting of the guitar in "Taxman" jolts as never before. The mix and mastering is so fine, "What Goes On" starts to sound like a real performance. And no two ways about it, the pressing quality of this series is outstanding, I haven't heard LP surfaces this quiet since I was buying Japanese Imports at Rare Records while I was working there in the late 70's.

While this project is worthwhile I have every good reason to doubt that similar programs will be happening with Classical music on LP, something I've resigned myself to finding in thrift stores. However, if there were another all analog reissue series on LP I'd be interested. Problem is that so many of the new vinyl releases are mixed and mastered with Pro Tools and an LP pressing would be like lipstick on a pig.

I've been buying LPs all along and this remaster isn't about to change anything in that regard.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    morinix likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I wasn't that familiar with most of the Fabs' mono output and truth be told, found the 2009 CD Box somewhat dull. But i was excited by the hype and genuine information surrounding this release and bought the box -I didn't buy the stereo box set, for example.

Absolutely love it -with the possible exception of Side One of Help and Beatles for Sale -stereo for those. I've heard the WA in mono before on vinyl -but it has never sounded as good as this.

As for turntables and vinyl, since I got mine up and running last Christmas Eve, i rarely play anything else. It's for keeps and yes, I will be buying more LPs -second-hand and new. It was a unilateral decision of mine to reinstate it, that it turned out to be part of the zeitgeist is a happy coincidence.

Next thrill is the return of my rebuilt Linn Arkiv-B cartridge this Friday!

11. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I've been buying quite a few lps the last several years.
    If a release is getting rave reviews for sound quality, and it's music that I'm interested in, I try to get it. Mono or stereo really isn't a factor in my decision.
    If the Beatles stereo box would have been AAA and the mono box taken from the digital files, the stereo box would be on my shelf right now instead of the mono box.
    I've been really happy with the mono box.
    I consider it just about the most significant release in my entire lifetime.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  12. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mixes?

Love them, and this is the only Beatles box I bought (no CD or stereo box set). I admit though I bought them because of the quality of the box (sound and jackets).

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?

Yes if they’re done with as much care as these. I’ve been buying mono jazz albums for years and would definitely consider rock.

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing?

Not new to vinyl, so I’m definitely going to buy more.

13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I don't have the vinyl box yet, but want it. I buy mainly vinyl already & have bought mono vinyl reissues by other acts.

I've heard the Beatles mono mixes before, but mostly just on CD. Having grown up with the stereo mixes, I would say the monos are hit & miss. Some of them (Sgt. Pepper) sound great, some others sound congested or overcompressed to me (but that is based upon the CD mono boxset and old US mono vinyl).

14. How do you like the mono mixes?

In every way superior to the Stereo mixes, the fabs being present during the mixing is key.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released?
    Kinks, Pink Floyd, Stones...etc. Yes!

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing?

With over 1000 lp's in my collection and growing, vinyl is it for me.

15. Psyre

Psyre Forum Resident

Q1: I have only picked up Revolver thus far. The mono mix kills my Original US Stereo. I'm young, but personally I find mid-late 60's albums always sound better to me in mono. My favorite albums are hard to find mono reissues (i.e. Song Cycle, Aerial Ballet, Randy Newman) I really have no certain idea, I just feel mono mixing/mastering techniques were at their finest from '65-'68('69) They just sound heavier and more psychadelic which is what I like. I'm not a big Beatles fan but this Mono Revolver made me appreciate them way more, I plan to pick up 1-2 more of these mono releases. I bought this mono reissue based solely on how much I have enjoyed other hard to find mono releases.

Q2: I have only been into vinyl since last year, but I think this Beatles mono release is a statement that vinyl is back in full. If companies can keep releasing quality LP's in the $20 range I'll be a long time buyer.

16. I have several original uk monos. Grew up with Capitol Monos but that's another story. Got a complete mono uk set in 79.

I'm not one who is a full on mono lover however certain title have always kicked ass.

In terms of Beatles this new set made me love the monos so much more. Actually line must of the better than my 79 set. They really are that good. And a clean set on my better rig ( than I ever had back in the day ) really plays well. And my rig is not once of the high end fab systems that many here have.

However I still feel these are better in stereo :

BFS, Help, Revolver (slightly) and the White album. The moni WA is a novelty to me.
    Sgt Pepper is an even split.

If done right I would like certain mono reissues. I'd love Bookends in Mono. I love the recent mono Donovan albums and the first two Big Brothers. Sone of the Airplane too

17. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

1) Love them. Whats not to like when so much effort and care is put to hear and preserve that beautiful music the way it was conceived.

2-3) If I can afford it obviously I will buy. As long as we are treated with such great reissues count with me. The Beach Boys canon should be reissued this way, In Mono, the way the musicians intented.

A Beach Boys box ala Beatles In Mono...that I would buy it right now

Mugsy5591, gramfan and GetHappy!! like this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

1. I like the mono mixes although I haven't heard the new box yet. I have the 2009 CDs and I've heard mono Beatles over the the years. Great stuff and it's great to have both mono and stereo to compare.
    2. If I had ample funds, I'd probably buy more records but I lean toward CDs these days. I'm actually downsizing my collection now so I can't honestly answer this question at this time.

But a new mono Parsley Sage album would sound nice wouldn't it?

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Regarding vinyl records: I was born the same year the first commercial cd was produced: 1982. I was raised listening to vinyls, though, and didn't have a cd player until 1991. The turntable broke a few years later, and it was only cd for me from then on. I have no intentions of getting a record player, I simply can't afford a good one (I live in Argentina, and it's seriously expensive here). I love seeing the format back, anyway!

Regarding Beatles and mono mixes: I bought the Beatles' mono box set, and I thought it was wonderful. When the Dylan mono box was released, I bought it without thinking it twice, and I found it fairly interesting, though not so well-made as the Beatles'. Generally, mono mixes that were made up to -let's say- 1968, are a must-get. When they are mere fold-downs, I don't even bother. I would like to see more mono releases (in my case, on cd, of course).

This is my humble view on the subject, I'm not what you would call an "audiophile". But I'm a man obsessed with music, that's for sure.

JuanTCB likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'm using this opportunity to finally explore the Beatles catalog for the first time. I've had a stereo Pepper for about seven years and played it 3-4 times. I've thought it was overrated and as someone else stated it sounds like a fluffy pop record. This mono LP is a rock album. I've listened to it twice already and will be playing it again very soon. The one Beatles album that I've always owned and played often is the stereo White Album. It's been a real treat hearing this mono reissue. I listen to a lot of mono records anyway and definitely welcome quality mono releases like these.

21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mixes? In the majority of cases, I much prefer the mono mixes for the Beatles catalog, however I have been familiar with these for many years.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released? It would definitely be considered. I have noticed that the mono mixes from the 50's-60's in the UK tend to be superior to their stereo counterparts. But I have noticed that some of the 60's US mono mixes (particularly later) aren't always the 'go-to' choice, at least for me. I think it would probably depend on the studio and engineer, etc. (This is obviously a generalization that may not always be the case).

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing? I will buy more vinyl if it is done 'correctly'. I wouldn't buy vinyl just because it is vinyl. This particular box set was done with the love, care and detail that it deserved. Unfortunately not all recent vinyl has been done this way.

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't have the vinyl box, but first two questions sound like they may be relevant for me:

How do you like the mono mixes?
    The 2009 mono CD box was when I first heard most of the mono mixes (AHDN was the only one I had previously). They completely converted me to them being my preference.

Not only would I, but after the Beatles box I have purchased some mono re-releases that came out later (Dylan, Roy Orbison, Miles Davis), and went back and got a few I never had (notably the AF Pet Sounds).

(The new mono box has made me consider getting a turntable and the box, but not likely to happen very soon.)

23. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I am a fan of the Beatles mono mixes ... have some UK originals, some of the '82 reissues, and so far have Pepper from the new ones. And, wow, does it sound good. Can't afford the box so I will be picking up some more individual titles for sure.

I'm a fan of mono mixes in general, and often do pick up mono LP reissues, particularly for albums that are difficult to find original copies of... so I say keep 'em coming! I kept buying vinyl straight through the CD era, so I'm not likely to stop now.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. 1) I like the Beatles mono mixes up to and excluding Pepper (probably to the exclusion of Beatles For Sale though). For Pepper and the WA, it's stereo for me. But my only experience with the albums, outside the 80s CD version of the first four, is with the 2009 mono box, which didn't thrill me at all.

2) Probably the Stones. Not sure about any other groups. I don't consume a lot of other older groups.

25. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mixes? The new Beatles mono box is a fantastic effort to recreate the original LPs. I enjoy both the mono and stereo versions of the Beatles' albums, but mono wins out in most cases. Beatles For Sale stereo is very special; for Magical Mystery Tour and The White Album, I think both versions are essential.

Would you consider buying other bands from that era if the mono versions were released? Kinks mono vinyl box set would be an automatic buy. A mono PIper at the Gates of Dawn on vinyl would be my #1 request. In general, I am interested in mono from the 1960s, because generally these were the definitive mixes.

Does this mean you will eventually buy more vinyl records, Beatles or otherwise, or is this a one time thing? I buy vinyl almost exclusively now, anyway, so this Beatles box set has no impact on my future purchases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.