Can you be an audiophile if you don't own "great/expensive" equipment..?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

In general terms it is the audiophiles among us that seek out the good equipment in the first place. It just happens that most of the really good stuff costs mucho dinero.

Kkfan, audiotom and Chemguy like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well...I'm not miserable with what I now have, that's for sure. But it's far from what I'd consider my "ideal" system. It's more so a question of what one/I can afford as opposed to what my ears tell me sounds better than something else set-up wise.

violetvinyl, Carlox and Chemguy like this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excellent point. A good/discerning set of ears is just that.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Equipment does matter, in fact its usually inevitable that an audiophile invests in an upgrade. But you can still seek out information about the best possible masterings, for example, even if you haven't quite made that leap. People are going to say, "Oh no, it doesn't matter," but we all know there are some who think that their expensive rigs automatically make them an expert. Which has always been a turn off and why I refuse to label myself an audiophile.

So no. And yes.

LarryP, rikkitik, Sordel and 4 others like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You can be a music lover without the equipment, yes. But if you don’t make the effort, and don’t see the need, to improve the listening experience, how can you be an audiophile?

It’s about the appreciation of the sound ain’t it? If that’s what you appreciate you’ll try to get the nicest sound you can afford. Audiophile.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Has nothing to do with fancy equipment.

8. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I’ll go with Wikipedia on this: “An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.”

9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

A wise shopper with a good ear can assemble a pretty good system without going broke.

10. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I agree but someone who has a phono stage that costs more than that system will always claim to have the bigger peepee.

krisbee, scottc1963 and JimW like this.
  11. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Anyone who simply insists on having an adjustable equalizer qualifies as an audiophile in my book!

12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I have found a kind of sanctuary in this forum. There is a large cross section of ppl who do not alienate or condescend. So far, so good.

13. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

I think, if you have ever got another pressing of a record you already own, because you want one that SOUNDS BETTER.....well, yer an audiophile. Because seriously, regular old listeners probably would never do that. And that record could just as well be "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" as it could be Led Zeppelin II.......Just sayin'

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Absolutely you can.

Example: if you can only afford $50 headphones, but you research and shop around for the best sounding $50 headphones you can find, you are an audiophile IMO.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's a good start. And high fidelity literally means a high degree of faithfulness, in our case, to the original music. The better the equipment, the better it is at being able to extract everything that is on the source. And there are better sources relative to others. And poorer quality equipment can obscure to varying degrees what is on the source.

So, to me, an audiophile not only has to have discerning ears, but has to have an inquisitive quality as to want to get closer to the highest fidelity (or faithfulness) to the source. That would render the greatest amount of musicality regarding the performance on the source.

16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

An audiphile will just end up buying more expensive gear as a result of his affliction, money permitting. A cheap 'entry level' set of audiophile separates can be bought used on Ebay for less than the price of a decent iPod docking speaker.

17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Most audiophiles shun equalizers and even tone controls...

18. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Hi, you pose an interesting question. In summary, I think the short answer is YES!. I think being an audiophile is about trying to capture, at home, as much of the reality of a live performance as possible, within certain limits. But at the same time, it reminds me of a philosophical question I had once about whether I was a music lover or an audiophile. I personally believe I am more of the former, since I have much more time and financial resources invested in media than in my audio system. And my system, while expensive for an average consumer, is modest in audiophile terms. But I do acknowledge that a bad recording is a showstopper for me in terms of enjoying the music. Granted, the definition of a "bad recording" is very relative.

Kkfan and bluejimbop like this.
  19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I must be an Audiophile because I do believe in the proverbial straight wire with gain.

I like to get great sound at a modest price. Not sure if that is the definition of an Audiophile but it works for me.

20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

We’re already on the second page and we haven’t settled this debate yet? What the hell?!?

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Do you want the best sound reproduction or the best mastering you can get (or afford)?

Yes? Then you are an audiophile. You’re always going to find the person with the $15k turntable that says the $5k turntable is crap. That’s a futile argument.

If you love great sounding music then you qualify.

SirMarc, Dan Steele, sjaca and 6 others like this.
  22. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Few are arguing that better equipment doesn’t equal better sound. I certainly think it does. But I have no interest in belittling another’s system based on what they can afford. I find the people who go into debt to buy better speakers to be the more questionable in my mind. Enjoy what you have and buy better stuff along the way if you want to. I have spent tons trying to recapture the magic I heard from my first real system I was listening to 20 years ago. So equipment certainly isn’t everything. Hopeful we can enjoy life and leave envy at the door. Spend your money on the important things first worry about hobbies second and yes, you can still consider yourself an audiophile concernd with the best sound you can get.

Alert, Kyhl, SirMarc and 9 others like this.
  23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yep. Audio-snobs or audio-philes...same thing?

I am guilty of NOT being an official audiophile (is there a registration form somewhere?), But I know my system sounds great...I've heard much better and much worse. If you check my pro-phile I am sure I will get a thumbs down from some, and a thumbs up from others. Especially since some have here have unknowingly already dissed parts of my components.

My system was recommended by a good friend--a grad of Berkeley School of Music and jazz rock blues guitar recording artist and producer. He sold me the system I have and loves it too. He KNOWS sound as well as any. Has heard the best and has a good ear too.

...and we're just fine and happy. So I guess we are audio-snobs too, or going deaf you might surmise--with our modest but just fine systems.

But you true audiophiles ( and I really do respect the truly obsessed), please be kind to an ol' 60's freak.

:tiphat:

All in good fun...I mean no offense to any...

SandAndGlass and GroovyGuy like this.
  24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Excellent post.

As someone with a modest system, but who’s constantly seeking out better sounding records and CDs, I just want to add: There are probably very few people with modest systems but who care about good sound who DON’T want better gear. It’s often just a matter of economics. I’d love to buy a $40,000 turntable. Sure. But I’d also love to help my daughter pay for college someday.

Do I call myself an audiophile? Not really, because that just seems stuffy and arrogant. But if the choice is between audiophile and non-audiophile, you’d better bet I’d say I’m an audiophile.

TL;DR Yes.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

HIPSTER! HIPSTER! HIPSTER! :cop:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.