Can you be an audiophile if you don't own "great/expensive" equipment..?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Losers

Pinknik, Spin Doctor and Boy Blue like this.
  2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Money may not make you happy. But it makes me happy. Financial security is one of the finest gifts you can give to yourself (thought hard work and financial responsibility).

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard or read is "more money more problems". Only if you are an idiot with the money. And $10,000 systems don't sound 5% better than $1,000 systems. And $25,000 systems don't sound 50% better than a 1k system. You know why? Because nobody could ever quantify a % improvement in sound quality. if you bother to spend 5 figures on a system, you don't care about silly comparisons like that, you care about what your ears hear.

BrokenByAudio and Tullman like this.
  3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

What's funny about this hobby is I recently bought a small bluetooth unit for the kitchen (a Marshall Acton, playing mainly Spotify), and for whatever reason it's so wonderfully nice to listen (and get more musical enjoyment from) to that I'd honestly prefer living with it to some mega-bucks systems I've heard along the way - namely the clinical, bright, joyless type ones that some revel in but I just want to walk away from.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, and a little music in the kitchen (or bathroom) always sounds better for some reason. Maybe all the reflective surfaces.

Manimal likes this.
  5. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

The previous occupants of my house put waterproof speakers (taken from a speedboat) in the side of the bath (facing outwards...), with speaker wire going through to inside a wardrobe in our adjacent bedroom. Haven't tried it yet but need to find a small cheap micro system type unit to hook up to it - should be fun.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

You're set. You will never come out of the bathroom! :laugh::sigh:

7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

How expensive is 'expensive'?

MitchLT likes this.
  8. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Just like most other things in life.

10. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

This one is $6 million:
    [​IMG]

11. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I guess that would be one way of judging if someone is an audiophile,lamp cord for speaker cables anyone.
    When I was very young I had a lamp cord for one channel and toaster cord for the other,girl friend was not happy about the toaster not working,oh well it was for a good cause.

Tim 2, Bananas&blow and strummer101 like this.
  12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Bet the owner must think they are the only TRUE AUDIO/VIDEOPHILE. Poor lowly peasants with 100k systems. :D

nick99nack and JoshM like this.
  13. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Toaster cord contributes a tone which, while warm, may be too crunchy.

nick99nack, JimW, JNTEX and 6 others like this.
  14. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Good one :laughup:

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Whatever makes your buddies look at you like a nut:)

Alan2, BrokenByAudio and Tullman like this.
  16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's about as inviting as a meat locker. No thanks.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

This is an excellent observation and assertion. It illuminates that gray area that is the continuum stretching from happiness to misery. Most of life, and most ruminations about truth, exist in gray areas.

somnar, JimW and sunspot42 like this.
  18. JKozy88

JKozy88 Well-Known Member

Hey, The Listening Room - do you know if this is still there? I can't find it on Google. I would love to visit a place like that...I'm not too far away.

19. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I think you’re doing some motivated reasoning, here. I’m certainly not rich, nor did I choose a career likely to make me rich. (Like you, I’m in education.) But I understand that, all else equal, it’s very clear that more money makes one happier.

This isn’t something I necessarily wanted to believe at first, but it’s pretty clearly the case based on common sense and abundant research. We’re all primed by pop culture to think of miserable rich people who are poorer than those below them when it comes to happiness (Scrooge, Mr. Potter, Cruella DeVil, etc.). But if you asked most people if they think they’d be happier with more money, they’d say yes.

Notably, I don’t think the resistance to “money leads to happiness” idea is partisan. I’ve heard liberals say they disagree because they don’t like the idea that the rich are happy, and I’ve heard conservatives say they disagree because they think admitting it will provide further moral justification for programs raising the incomes of the poor.

Whatever the upshot of the idea is, though, I think it’s true based on the bulk of the happiness research.

20. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Glad to hear you escaped the accident healthy!

As far as your point about mental health and income/happiness, it’s important to remember that the research is talking about averages. Obviously, there are unhappy people in all walks of life, for a variety of reasons. The question is: Would the same person be more or less happy given a lower or higher level of income? And the answer is pretty resoundingly “higher.”

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  21. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

22. kingpin75s

kingpin75s Well-Known Member

Agreed. A $1,000 system will satisfy a lot of the population, but there is a category for it, Mid-Fi. Like my old B&O.

Most "budget" Audiophiles I know think of systems in terms of cost per component on the used market. $1K per, $3K per etc... Conditioners and cables make a difference too. Then there is the auto stand. In my case, the hard maple made a very audible difference. Speakers are the first place I spend new dollars. It can add up.

To the original question, yes you can be an audiophile without great gear, but you probably should have at least a friend or two with great gear. Meaning, you have to hear great systems and different systems to understand what is possible and what is desirable for you.

23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Yes. Proudly mostly vintage "Mid-fi" AKA Smart money-fi.

24. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Then you and I have been debating different questions. I started by disagreeing with the statement that more money means more happiness and saying there was a point of diminishing returns. You seem to have changed the parameters.

But I think I'm done w/ this tangent.

Go Hoos!

25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Sorry - I got the name wrong.
    It's Accent On Music
    Accent on Music, Inc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.