Can you be an audiophile if you don't own "great/expensive" equipment..?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you read even a bit of the thread, you'd know that being an audiophile is about more than buying expensive equipment.

And, I won't even get into your generalization about women....

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

ASTROPHILE: Dictionary definition:

one who loves stars, astronomy

Funny it doesn’t stipulate you MUST have your own spaceship or observatory to qualify. You would think they should have pointed out those were basic requirements in the definition.

Bummer, I always thought I liked the stars. Well, who was to know.

Doug_B, SandAndGlass, phish and 2 others like this.
  3. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Lol, not to mention spending your entire life discussing telescopes and a fortune buying and selling different models.

SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If one aspires to create an above average audio system for their listening pleasure, you're an audiophile....or exhibit audiophile tendencies. I felt like an audiophile in 1971 when I got a Dynaco SQ-80 amp and their A-35 speakers to go with a Philips 212 turntable. I knew I wasn't an ultimate audiophile but I was a happy. little audiophile, rock on.

Tim 2 and SirMarc like this.
  5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Of course why not ? I started with so called lowly equipment. My dads Akai receiver and Jensen speakers. And still enjoyed the crap out of them. You have to start somewhere ! ;)

6. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Like being audio-curious? ;)

Reamonnt likes this.
  7. Rachael Bee

I have been audio-curious many times! :agree:

8. Khorn

Well it does mention bare minimum must be a Questar scope but if you have loftier aspirations they might put the ol Hubble on eBay when its replaced.

SandAndGlass and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like to think of an audiophile as someone who sets up a system correctly whether it's expensive or not. A person that reads, listens and learns about audio and how to get the most natural and authentic sound from there gear.
    I set-up and treat my speakers like musical instruments rather than pieces of electronics.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not to mention, all those trips to remote places on the country where you can find "dark sky".

And trips to famous observatories here and around the world...

Tim 2, Tullman and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I would enjoy doing it and I'm not even an "ASTROPHILE", which I have always referred to as an astronomer.

I was into that in my younger days. If I lived in a more rural area, I think that I would have been into it more.

Tim 2 and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  12. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well said Tim. Coming from you that means a lot. :righton:

Tim 2 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If I like waking up to music on my cheap am/fm alarm clock, am I an Audiophile??

bluesaddict likes this.
  14. MaxxMaxx4

Er, well. :shrug:
    Did you set it up correctly?

Tim 2, Bingo Bongo and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

When I was a kid I didn't at all understand how my dad would listen to music he didn't particularly like, simply because the recording was great, and he wouldn't listen to certain records by artists he loved because the recording was sub-par. Didn't take too long for me to understand completely.

SirMarc and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

That was the "audiophile" way, back in those times.

Which is why I didn't buy into the audiophile thing. I wasn't going to listen to music that I don't care to listen to, just because the SQ is "superior".

I will say, that now, I do try to be exposed to different types of music that I would not typically listen to. But, if the SQ is good enough to make it appealing to me, I will listen to it.

On occasion, a friend will come over and I will let them plug their player into the main system and even if I would not ever listen to some of theeir tunes again, I do find that a great deal of them have been expertly recorded.

Tim 2 and Drewan77 like this.
  17. Rachael Bee

My dad was somewhat opposite. He'd listen to any music that was classical, even if was recorded by cavemen in 30,000 B.C. His rigid tastes worked in my favor. His friends would tell him to buy, mostly, jazz records. He might listen to them with them and pretend to enjoy them. Soon thereafter he would come to me offering free records. That's how I got my first copy of Dave Brubeck's Take Five. He gave me an Antonio Carlos Jobim album and after I listened to it, I felt pity that my dad couldn't enjoy it like I did! My dad was a classical music snob. He just loved it.

MaxxMaxx4, SandAndGlass and thxphotog like this.
  18. Khorn

I live in the north central part of a big city. We are just having a new deck being built in our back yard so I’m researching refractor scopes as they work best under these lighting conditions. I want a very high optical quality in a relatively compact scope. I’m also considering a good spotting scope for birds and (I hope) small animals.

Giacomo Belbo and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There's an unspoken rule here. One should never go Full Diana Krall.

20. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Also I look at is as
    Funny, but perhaps pertinent to the topic; I'm a total rock guy at heart, that said I often pull out the DTS Diana Krall CD Love Scenes as background music for dinner parties. So must admit, with some entree's I do in fact go full Diana Krall. Red wine dinners only.

MaxxMaxx4 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I can understand and excuse this; much like how I don't mind hearing elevator music in an actual elevator, I can't begrudge anybody for using dinner party background music as dinner party background music.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. MaxxMaxx4

I like her Jazz side the best.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I like her husband's sides the best.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What other sides are there? Does she have metal albums I don't know about?

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yuck, really ? Always thought he hurt her career.

Anyway, for D.K. at her best check out - Live at the Montreal JAZZ Fest-.

MaxxMaxx4 and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.