Can you live with your current speaker until you die?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Yes I can, but I am considering a pair of Revel or KEF’s.

2. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

3. G E

G E Senior Member

Sure... until I find another who pleases more....

4. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I sure can...........love my Tannoy's!

der likes this.
  5. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Sadly, probably not. At some stage, I may need to downsize from massive floor standing speakers to something smaller with less bass, so not to annoy neighbours, depending on where we move to.

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have owned, and currently own, WAY too many speakers. Roght now, I have in use or in storage, 2 models of Martin Colloms designed Musical Fidelity, B&W Matrix 800, 2 models of Audio Note, 3 pair of identical Thiel CS3.5, Thiel O3a, Thiel O1, a smallish pair of floor standing Tannoy, 4 models of Clements, Signet, and a few more I just cannot remember right now. I like all of them for various reasons.

But the 2 models that are just PERFECT to my ears are the Thiel CS3.5 and Audio Note AN/E-Lexus-HE. I will NEVER live without these two set-up... unless I come up with buying an upgraded model of them.

Oh yes, a pair of Thiel CS3.7 are in the truck, coming to me, right now.

ossidian, timind, G B Kuipers and 2 others like this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I look forward to your thoughts on the 3.7s.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

without question.

9. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Maybe...but I doubt it.

10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Yep, the JBL L100 reissues I just got a few weeks ago!

11. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Klipsch Cornwalls! Yes!

12. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

In 1988-1989, the Apogee Stages along with my Classe Audio DR-5 and DR-8, were the very best setup that I heard from about 5 or 6 HiFi stores. I ended up buying Magneplanar 2.6Rs instead for some reason. I liked them a lot but always regretted not buying the Stages. There was something very special about them.

ZenMango likes this.
  13. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had used Apogee Duetta Signature for 10 years.

Now I have a good memory of Apogee speaker too.

ZenMango and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Don, the DR-5 and DR-8s were often mentioned as the best match for the Stages, along with Krells.
    I took a peek at your present setup and I’m sure you’re enjoying juicy, emotional, musical colors at the highest level with the AN system. I’ve listened to AN at a local dealer and was mightily impressed! Enjoy!

15. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Yes, I love my KEF LS50’s and as far as I am concerned in my small listening room I need no others.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

That's the plan for my main HT.

Probably the family room HT as well (where I recently updated the surrounds.)

Over time I'll probably use the living room to try out different pairs of speakers in that stereo set up, but for now I'm happy with what's there.

Backyard speakers: check.

Garage speakers: check.

Front patio speakers: check.

Exercise bike speakers: check.

.....: check

Jeff

SandAndGlass and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. Don Parkhurst

Thanks Jose
    Until I started down the Audio Note path, the best sound that I owned or listened to was the Classe Audio/Apogee Stage/Linn LP-12 combination.

I have never had better sound than I am getting now but I have very fond memories of that former system! Great stuff

Don

SandAndGlass and ZenMango like this.
  18. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

I'll take my Odyssey Audio Loreleis with me when I go, Should make an interesting cremation.

This scene from "Ruthless People" is perfect for this thread. Always wanted a pair of Definators....

Dude: Hey, YO! Wanna sell me a stereo?

Salesman: Yeah, I'll help ya'.

Dude: I'm lookin' for somethin' REAL HOT but I don't wanna get ripped off. Know what I mean?

Salesman: OK. You're lookin' for some REEEEEEALLY HOT speakers right? Not just somethin' you listen to, but something you can feeeeeeel, right?

Dude: YEAH !!!

Salesman: When it comes to a great stereo you can't beat BIG SPEAKERS. I'm talking big speakers with big woofers. Like this . . . You could get this speaker with a little eight inch woofer, or this one with a ten inch woofer. OR even this one with a twelve inch woofer. BUT I can see by the look on your face you want somethin' even bigger!

Dude: **** YEAH!!!

Salesman: **** YEAH is right! We gotta go to the "Big Room" for this.

(As the salesman and the dude walk into the room in the rear of the store. The salesman opens the door and exclaims...)

Salesman: THE BIG ROOM!!! The flagship of the Definator line. The PB-0002, I have a pair of these myself. THIRTY INCHES of thigh slappin', blood pumpin', nuclear brain damage!!!

Dude: Bitchin! What's it cost?

(As the salesman start to turn up some cool death metal rock at a really loud volume level)

Salesman: That's the beauty of it. If you can't afford it, ******' finance it! Who cares if it's as big as a Subaru and costs twice as much? You'll never have to upgrade it and when you die, you can be buried in 'em!

TimB, Tlay and thomaskong like this.
  19. Don Parkhurst

Hahahahaha!

20. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some people want to be buried inside the crate of their original speakers so that their children or grandchildren can keep the speakers forever.

HaHa

21. Don Parkhurst

I forgot to add that one of the systems that seemed really cool because of its history (it was used), was the pair of Mark Levinson ML-2 monoblocks with the ML-1 preamp that The Soundroom demonstrated for us through something back in the day like Quads or Matin Logan Sequel or Genesis 3 loudspeakers. I really wanted to like that combo but it just wasn’t emotionally involving.

I almost bought the ML gear just because of the cool factor!

22. ossidian

ossidian Forum Resident

Surely will.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

monte4, Manimal and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I just got dynaudio special forty's and they are magnificent.
    I don't see a change in speakers for some time.
    My next big spend will most likely be in Silnote speaker wire and then a new turntable and phono amp.

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I want t
    limit on who may view profile so what are they? Cool stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.