Can you live with your current speaker until you die?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I love them. The omni-diretinoal driver in the top really helps me achieve channel balance in my lop-sided large room setup. They are just efficient enough for my 3 watt per channel mono blocks though. . . . If/when my hearing worsens. . . .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you get fatigued listening to those you can lay one on its back, fill it with warm water, and take a relaxing bath. ;)

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

They're active, with on-board DAC (as found in the Elite range) and preamp.

Yes, rather different from electrostatic panels, but a lovely sound and way bigger in presentation than their diminutive size would otherwise suggest.

4. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

My best speakers right now are my Magnepan MMGs I bought off a member here. I like them quite a bit and don't have the desire to spend on a better pair of loudspeakers right now. I'd buy (several) more receivers/amps, maybe another cartridge, and another pair of headphones before then.

Really my best "speakers" are my headphones right now especially for the price. The modded Hifiman HE-400i in combination with my Asus Xonar Essence soundcard seriously gets better the longer I have it and I've been listening daily for almost 2 years now. The bass is tight and agile with a satisfying impact, the mids are detailed and colorful, the attack and decay of strings on the high end is reminiscent of the best parts of my Grado 300i without being [as] fatiguing. The Magnepan has a similar sound but the low end is very dependent on placement and it's just more convenient most of the time to listen to my phones especially since I started working nights.

5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Yes, my bank manager insists.

In addition they suit my modest system and compromised listening space perfectly.

Gramps Tom and timind like this.
  6. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yes (Audio Note E/He Alnico SPx)

Don Parkhurst and timind like this.
  7. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I'd rather not (Polk rti12, but I probably will.

timind likes this.
  8. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I can still remember the excitement of saving up the scratch to go to Best Buy and buy a pair of Bose 201's circa 1994. I thought they sounded great and used them for about 14 years and never felt the urge to upgrade until a buddy started upgrading his gear and got me into this hobby. So my answer is an unqualified yes.

Kristofa likes this.
  9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Here you go...[​IMG]

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Although not my dream speakers, I'm really satisfied with what I got and HOPE they last till I'm dead or deaf (whatever comes first). I would prefer bigger ones, but then I'd need a bigger house as well, which is unlikely to happen.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I think so. Wife does not like the music I play unless it is soft piano (Keith Jarrett etc).
    A lot, not all, of my listening these days is through headphones.

I do crank it from time to time when she is out of the house.:uhhuh:

timind likes this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

LOL....I thought that was an odd suggestion, but certainly not the strangest I've seen in these forums. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

They are great speakers. I have a pair of 52SE in my home office, mounted on the wall. They really boogie better than one would expect from such a small cabinet. I also have Audience 72/122c/62 in my HT system: if I don't sell my Contours that's where they might go.

14. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

TBD
    I love my Pendragons but if I were to downsize I would probably go to smaller speakers out of necessity as the Pens are fairly large and might not work in a smaller room. But I’d try them in the new space before arbitrarily moving to smaller speakers. I like them that much. BTW, OP your setup is lovely, as is that part of the country.

timind likes this.
  15. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Can I: yes
    Will I: Most likely will upgrade to larger version top model of all my speakers if opportunity arises

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

I don't want your speakers. I want your view.

SirMarc, ossidian, ron325 and 6 others like this.
  17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Yes, I spent 6 years building various OB speakers & the ones shown in my avatar pic will see me out. I cannot fault them.

18. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

All? Were you looking to upgrade one at a time!:winkgrin:

19. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Haha, my center speaker is the smallest of the series. There are two sizes up available.
    My mains are the second smallest. There are two sizes up available.
    My surrounds is just Studio series. Plenty of Signature series choices. :D

And yes, one at a time, most likely. : )

Colin M likes this.
  20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm 65 and have owned my Spendor S100'S for 28 yrs! Barring some kind of catastrophic malfunction, I gotta feeling these puppies will out-last me!;)

21. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

This has been a very interesting thread thanks to the OP.

For me who knows what the future will bring. I most likely will keep my Canon ergo 120's for the rest of my life. I think with my current system and "room" this is as good as it gets.

Someday I may retire in a bigger house and I will have 2 rooms. I may look at new speaker options then but my Cantons will likely remain as my HT speakers.

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Presuming I stay in my current place, possibly (Harbeth P3ESR's). A significantly larger room might trigger an upgrade, M30.2's or such.

The room dictates the speaker ... a lesson long in the learning.

Mike-48 and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand your point. Sometimes headphone can sound better than speakers without worrying about room placement.

But I am not sure whether you can live with your headphone for your life.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I prefer speakers but I've also loved my headphones for decades so I imagine I could live without speakers.

The music is the only thing that's essential!;)

25. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

You have a nice speaker as tall as you. The original box for speaker could be coffin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.