Can you *really* spot the differences between SACD, DVD-A and CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomh

thomh New Member

There is nothing theoretical about the dynamic range of CD which is 96dB. However, with essential dither, it's more like 93dB.

Which it is.

Ah, there's that 'magic' word again which usually shows up in discussions like this.

OK, let's add some more ingridients to this 'magic' vinyl stew:

A dash of phasey midrange to add some 'ambience'.
    Stir and add judicious amounts of even-order harmonic distortion.
    Leave simmering for 5 minutes to add a steady rush of surface noise which provides a comforting floor to the music and masks all the crappy production faults.
    For the adventurous, try a little tube seasoning.

A word of warning before serving: The above ingridients are *not* present on the master tape.

Then tell Sony as I am sure they are more than willing to add some *more* euphonic artifacts inorder to further boost its acceptance among audiophiles.

HOWEVER,

fellow forum members, I have a confession to make:

I AM A VINYL FETICHIST.
    I love the cover art, the smell of them and the way they look in my Ikea bookshelf next to my treasured books. But most of all I *love* playing them.

BUT,

when it comes to best representing what is on that elusive master tape *nothing* beats the transparency of digital in the hands of a competent mastering engineer, whether it be 16/44 or hi-rez.

IMO, of course.

Thom

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

You said:

"Ah, there's that 'magic' word again which usually shows up in discussions like this.

OK, let's add some more ingridients to this 'magic' vinyl stew:

A dash of phasey midrange to add some 'ambience'.
    Stir and add judicious amounts of even-order harmonic distortion.
    Leave simmering for 5 minutes to add a steady rush of surface noise which provides a comforting floor to the music and masks all the crappy production faults.
    For the adventurous, try a little tube seasoning.

A word of warning before serving: The above ingridients are *not* present on the master tape".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What records have you been listening to? Certainly none that I've cut. If I cut a straight transfer lacquer, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the cutting and the master. If I add some extra "magic" I do it because it needs to be done! But, I control it, it is not built in to our cutting system.

3. thomh

thomh New Member

:eek: ........ :D

YES! Well, there you have it. Straight, to the point and sweet words to this vinyl fetichist's ears.

I hereby take an oath:

I, ThomH, am not going to badmouth the vinyl *format* every again.

Just the bad pressings.

Thom

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heh, badmouth anything you want, we don't mind (within reason). Just don't assume that a record has magic because of bad things. Some times, yes, but not always.

Think about this. If a record has the same resolution as the master tape, what does that tell you? Ignore the noisy surface factor for the moment. Resolution is the key. No sampling involved here, just analog to analog....

Records ain't perfect, but when done right, and pressed right, they can be a very good "analog" to the actual master tape. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.