Can you recommend some plastic sleeves for vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Anyone? In the wrong section, I guess...

3. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Inner or outer sleeves?

I've used Nagaoka's for inners sleeves for the LPs themselves and i bought some Poly jackets for the outer sleeve from a website covers33.co.uk as they were really affordable and you can choose if you want the heavy or thinner variants.

Hope that helps

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Sorry. I meant outer sleeves (12").

5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Try eBay. I got 50 clear 450G ones last year or so for £8.75 from a seller called keepcalmwesell17. I find them a good weight and quality. Not to flimsy, not too heavy. Brand is Panmer. You'll probably find various sellers on the bay. Key for me was the 450g.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Try Soundswholesale or Covers 33, both include next day delivery, I use resealable polypropylene sleeves that work out at under 10 each from covers 33 if you want something more durable and non resealable the Soundswholesale ones are fine for the money although if you want the best you need heavier gauge ones with the welded edges.

8. td19

td19 Forum Resident

9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Yep, I've got about 600 of the Panmer outer sleeves now and I love them.

(That's after I put all my records in those thick PVC sleeves and then read about "outgassing"... ho-hum!)

10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

More details? Does outgassing damage the sleeves? Is it bad for the environment?

11. LivingForever

There's a lengthy thread on here about it somewhere but basically as the PVC sleeves break down, they release gases which seep through the record cover and basically eat the record itself (or cover it in a sort of unremovable film...) Lots of pictures in that thread.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Having replied to some of the "outgassing" threads I will repeat that I have seen and bought many large collections that have been kept in heavy PVC sleeves for up to four decades and have never come across "outgassing" issues/damage, the only sleeves that 100% destroy records are the Polydor poly-lined inners from the early seventies and those horrible pink RTI ? inners from a few years ago. I have to assume that those with "outgassing" issues either live in a less temperate climate than the UK or have some other environmental factor at play.

13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thanks. This one? Issue with rare vinyl record. What happened?

14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Reassuring. Thank you.

15. LivingForever

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Look at where the OP and others with problems are located, Singapore for one, as I said in the UK stored at at typical UK room temperature and with typical UK humidity levels I have never seen any so called "outgassing" issues in many thousands of thick PVC sleeved records. I have seen some issues, but these have ALWAYS been related to poor storage and environmental issues, usually moisture related, I believe that humidity or moisture are the catalyst for these problems and so properly stored in the UK these issues do not arise. If you are worried then use what I use, re-sealable polyprop sleeves, they are cheap, under 10p each, take up a lot less shelf space and your record is not only protected, but looks great, I've used them for approximately 25 years and other than replacing them on records I play a lot I have the best part of two thousand that are over twenty years old and still doing a great job and several thousand of newer vintage likewise with zero issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.