Can you replace the stylus for the AT440ML Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pug, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns! Thread Starter

I have a question for everyone here. Can you replace the stylus for the AT440ML Cartridge? Mine is getting to be 9 months old and I want to replace it ASAP. Do I need to buy a new cart or can I replace the stylus?

Thanks!

Sean

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

You can replace it but a new cart is about 15-20 dollars more.

3. Pug

Well, the cart is only 9 months old at most. I'd rather buy a new stylus and pop it right rather then have to re-install the cart.

Sean

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

9 months old doesn't sound like much to me.. of course ir depends on how much you used it it during those 9 months, but I usually give mine a year-year and a half before changing them.

So far, my LPs sound fine, ie. I don't think I've worn any of them down with a dull stylus.

Edit:
    Do re-check alignment after changing the stylus- sometimes the cart moves around a bit in the process.

5. Pug

I'm just being pre-emptive. Don't want to damage any rekkids ya know!

I play about 2-3 a day on my TT.

I will dbl check the alignment after I change the stylus. Thanks for the advice!

Sean

6. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

You can install the stylus assembly and leave the new cart in storage for the future.

7. Pug

Good point! :)

8. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Yes, you never know when paranoia is going to rear its ugly head and you'll want to check how the new cart sounds/performs.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If your records are generally in nice shape and clean and you treat everything well, there should be no reason that you'd have to replace the stylus after 9 months IMO.

10. Pug

For some reason, I keep thinking you have to replace your stylus after every 6 mos. I thought I was behind! ;)

Sean

11. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Like others have said, it depends on how often you play your records, and how clean you keep them and your stylus. Generally, a quality stylus should give you about 1,000 hours of playing time, but YMMV. When in doubt, you should replace your stylus. I used to do this preemptively also, but now I have a friend who owns a jewelry store and lets me use his microscope to visually inspect my styli for wear on a regular basis. I thought about buying a microscope, but my wife said I was being a little bit anal about it (OK, OK she said a LOT). :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.