Can your system actually sound too good??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveyF, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last night I was playing some typical a'phile recordings...you know Patricia Barber and the like.All sounded amazing and I wanted to just keep on enjoying the music. So, i mistakenly put on one of my favorite groups...U2.
    How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb..which has a nice selection of great tunes from the boys. The whole album sounded like crap! No real imaging, bass that was bloated and unrealistic, Bono's voice was strained and thin, The Edge's guitar sounded anemic and very un-lifelike...and so on. Now here's the thing that i think was going on...my system is highly resolving, and as such I had taken a recording that is sub par to begin with and exposed all of its warts! Now, I totally enjoy this album on my car system, and I have enjoyed it on other mid-fi systems. Question is, are we sometimes missing the enjoyment of music as a'philes, simply because our systems can actually sound too good for the recording in question ( usually rock). Anyone else believe this is possible?

Echoes Myron, The FRiNgE and Daedalus like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting, why not?? All the warts are now exposed and the recording is heard in all its less than musical 'glory'...This has never happened to you?

4. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

When tuning my system I strive to achieve the balance between great-sounding audiophile recordings and pretty-good-sounding modern recordings. My system must not be too revealing of the brightness, harshness, dynamic compression and other inevitable flaws. NOS Mullard CV4003 tubes in the pre-amp and a well-integrated subwoofer do help a lot.

5. Madeuthink

Madeuthink Well-Known Member

Making system upgrades that decrease distortion is wiser than changes that "detail chasers choose in my opinion because of how the vast amount of recordings actually are."

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

IMO it is indeed possible to make a system too revealing, especially with SS gear. And the solution to this problem is: tube gear which sounds like tube gear.

clhboa and Ecjjr like this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

How can it sound too good when You say it doesn´t sound good? No it´s a logical fallacy, components cannot be too good.

Ecjjr, JackG, displayname and 2 others like this.
  8. Ouch!

ALAN SICHERMAN and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. I have friends that have spent large sums of money chasing audio nirvana, and their musical tastes morphed into music that made the system sound great.
    If your system only sounds great with such recordings there's something amiss.

Alan2, jerico, Panama Hotel and 16 others like this.
  10. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

Agree, audiophile recordings sound great on any decent system.

blutiga likes this.
  11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Because it's the recording not the gear.

lee59, Andy Saunders, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

To me so long as the system gives the music some body along with the detail then even average recordings will sound good. Some material is just badly done though and as you say best left for the car.

It would be awful to just, as mentioned above, be limited to listening to audiophile recordings for their own sake.

Ecjjr and blutiga like this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I believe that it's all in the speakers. There are certain speakers that make everything sound very musical even the worst of recordings. Play something on Quad, or Harbeth, or the Stirling LS3/6 and tell me if you cannot stand the sound. Anything. Even the worst recording will sound bearable.
    Then take the legendary ribbon Apogees. Or Magnepan or Tad or Magico. All ruthlessly revealing. Play a well recorded album and it's heaven. Play something that was not recorded that well and you want to leave the room.

14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Umm, lemme think about it...………..Nope

15. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Unfortunately the old maxim of Garbage in, Garbage out applies and never more brutally than with fine audio systems. For example, take our esteemed host's mastering of Nat King Cole for Analogue Productions and compare them to the standard releases to see where the blame truly lies.

Tullman, timind, ellingtonic and 2 others like this.
  16. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

In my experience it is possible to create a system with great resolution and imaging that limits good listening to spectacularly well-produced and recorded music. The real magic trick (IMO only) is to put together a system that showcases such audiophile recordings and also makes "everyday" recordings sound pretty good too.

Ecjjr, sotosound, Fruff76 and 2 others like this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

This.

It's up to each of us to decide once we reach the point that you have how much further in this pursuit we want to venture. If it's taking away from your enjoyment of your favorite music it might be time for a change.

tyinkc likes this.
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

When I bought my Yamaha A-S3000 I found that some recordings which I had previously thought were exemplary were now revealed as less than optimal.

tmtomh and dougotte like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This is why my ears remain untrained. My wish is to enjoy music, not recordings.

Rickchick, sotosound, Ecjjr and 5 others like this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nah, my system isn't nearly good enough to sound "too good." :laugh:

21. Thee and me, both :D

saskimo, ALAN SICHERMAN and dkmonroe like this.
  22. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Chasing down the best masterings, if they exist, is more productive than thinking the fault lies with your equipment, and spending accordingly.

23. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

To some extent, it is dependent on how you build your high end system and what you prioritize. If you are trying to emphasize "detail" (hearing the shimmer of every rivet on a cymbal), you might have a system that is somewhat lean in the upper bass and this could exacerbate problems with lean sounding recordings. Systems that are warmer sounding are sometimes characterized as muddy or lacking in clarity, but, they tend to be more forgiving with more bad recordings.

The more focused and narrow one gets in pursuit of certain particular characteristics--detail, or dynamics or deep bass or whatever--the choice of recordings that match the particular profile narrows.

George P, jonwoody, sbayle and 2 others like this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

No, and I don't worry about it! It's all about the music for me, not the system!

25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is what I was thinking. The OP is experiencing about worst of squashed masters. I know, there are worse but this one is Bad with a capital B.
    @DaveyF , it's the recording. When this happens, I decide not to play it. My philosophy, if they wanted me to listen to it they would have made it listenable. I'm not going to torture myself with it when there are plenty of other recordings that are great to hear.

Funny, this CD came out about the time I felt pushed back into vinyl, looking for uncompressed masters of albums.

On the flip side, last night I played the Mofi pressing of In Utero and it was fantastic at a good volume. Although In Utero came out ten years earlier so it wasn't as destroyed as Atomic Bomb.

tmtomh, tyinkc and wwaldmanfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.