Canadian LP pressings - Columbia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phononomatopoeia, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phononomatopoeia

Phononomatopoeia New Member Thread Starter

I've tried to find some information regarding Columbia LPs pressed in Canada, but have not been able to find a definitive answer to the following question: when "Printed in Can." is printed on the label, as in ""Columbia", "Masterworks" Marcas Reg. Printed in Can.", does this mean that only the label was printed in Canada, or that the record was pressed in Canada as well?

I've found references to the runout markings that may indicate where it was pressed if it was pressed in Canada (i.e. Don Mills plant), but just wondering if "Printed in Can." confirms this is a Canadian pressing first and foremost.

Any help clarifying this would be appreciated!

2. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I would say that 90% of the time if the label says printed in Canada then it is also pressed in Canada.

3. Phononomatopoeia

Phononomatopoeia New Member Thread Starter

Thanks monte4, is there a way to identify them to be certain they are in fact Canadian pressings?

4. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

It will say on the actual record label (on early Canadian Columbia pressings). For instance on the 1'st Santana LP on the actual record label it says "Manufactured By Columbia Records Of Canada" which runs around the outer ring of the label. It won't say on the cover. From the mid '70's on it will say on the cover "Manufactured In Canada" plus on the actual record label.

5. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

If it says "Printed in Canada" it means that the label, and the physical disc, were created in Canada.

Up to the early 1970's, you could find Canadian-pressed LP's that came from metal parts that had, in fact, been created in the United States. Usually these had a machine-stamped matrix number in the deadwax.

After that, the lacquers were usually cut in Canada. I've found many Canadian masterings easy to identify, as they usually have the code "HZ" in the deadwax, indicating they were cut at the Don Mills (Toronto) facility.

For my money, US Mastered vinyl (which means US Columbia editions) have ALWAYS sounded better than their Canadian counterparts. Just my two cents' worth, and of course YMMV.

John Bliss, ParloFax and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Have you had any experience with any 80's? I have a couple Emile Lepine EL cuts that I highly enjoy. I'm almost to the point of trying to track down more of his work
    Émile Lépine

7. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

The 80's cuts were pretty varied. Some were great, some were pretty awful. Tended to depend on the album, and its relative popularity.

I've had copies of 80's Billy Joel albums that sounded really good ("An Innocent Man" in particular).

And then, I've had copies like my version of Wham's "Make It Big" which, to my ears, sounds LOUSY!

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.