Canadian Rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vernon, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Other than lyrical content from time to time (Runnin Back to Saskatoon), or a bit of celtic fiddle I'm not sure what makes Canadian music uniquely Canadian. Is Yes uniquely British? I remember when the Beatles first showed up, the general concensus was that "they don't sound British". "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah" doesn't speak to any great British tradition. Honky Tonk Women could be by any band anywhere in the English speaking world; it's not particularly English. Herman's Hermits played up the Brit angle and would could argue that The Kinks were "too British" for the USA but if you can tell from first listen to a song where the band comes from, you are more clever than I.

Now I must go write my Donair Rock Opera.

Engelsstaub and fab432 like this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I think American and British rock / pop are far too broad to have any singular characteristic that marks them as American or British. Same for Canadian. So we have the occasional song like Running Back to Saskatoon, but Canadians also wrote I Wanna Go To New York City and Ten Pound Note.

3. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

The Guess Who were a great band...even had a song about a evil American Woman.

4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Red Rider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.