Can't get stylus clean. Static problem.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've posted about this before but it got really bad tonight. I've got a ridiculous static problem that is making debris stick on my stylus and I can't get it off. A couple weeks ago I bought some Vinyl Styl stylus cleaning fluid and brush. I used it a couple times and it seemed to help. Used it again to night along with a carbon fiber stylus brush, zerodust and magic eraser. I cleaned a new album with a carbon fiber record brush, disc washer then and static spray with a microfiber cloth. The first 30 seconds sounded great but then distortion kicked in. This is what the stylus looks like now, a real horror show.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    [​IMG]

I hope I didn't damage it but it looks like a blanket of dust is covering it and nothing I have will take it off. Btw, I keep the turntable covered and there are no shedding pets. The room is clean but the table sits below a hvac vent. It got really cold today and the heat has been on.

I just purchased a vinyl vac and have some cleaning fluid on the way. Any ideas?

2. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

Ouch! I don't know but to me this looks like lint from the microfiber cloth you're using.

patient_ot and Fishoutofwater like this.
  3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

2nd a record cleaner, then a stylus cleaner.

5. Micke Lindahl

I still think OP should start with ditching the cloth and see if it gets any better. May turn out to be less expensive. :)

6. Sgt Pepper

I think the biggest problem for the OP is static, these cleaners will eliminate that.

7. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the cloths I was using with my Spin Clean.

8. Micke Lindahl

Yes. Static issue no doubt. But I wouldn't rule out that it's the cloth that causes it. Just look at the image. Screams cloth lint. IMHO. :)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I’ve too encountered static from cloths when drying, I’ll now tumble dry my drying cloths with a couple of anti static tumble dryer sheets. Has worked so far.

10. Gibson67

As regards stylus cleaner I’ve found the Nagaoka Hi clean 801 pretty darn good!

11. Sgt Pepper

Why do you use cloths with the spin clean as your supposed to let the records air dry.

If it was for the final polish, good quality Micro Fibre are best.

12. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

The climate I live in is not so conducive to air drying. I do use a high quality microfibre cloth - now.

13. Agreed. I also think a Milty may help. Hope our OP gets it sorted.

HBJ and Micke Lindahl like this.
  14. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Use the Spin Clean fluid if you're going to use a Spin Clean. The whole point is the flocculant that's in their fluid that makes the dirt sink to the bottom of the reservoir. Home made fluids don't have that, and just let the dirt float in the water. If you aren't using their fluid, you're just putting the dirt from other records on every record you clean.

nosliw, JimSpark and patient_ot like this.
  15. Gibson67

So true, the dirt is plainly there to see after a cleaning session

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What cartridge is this? The reason I ask is because some manufacturers don't recommend liquid stylus cleaners.

Re: Microfiber, every brand I've tried will shed fibers eventually. I do not let them anywhere near my records. I could see pre-cleaning a very, very filthy album with them but I would not use them for any kind of regular cleaning. Those fibers shed and then they end up on your stylus.

Can you feel the static on the turntable mat? If so what kind of mat is it? Depending on what kind it is you may be able to de-stat or clean it.

Other than that turn the thermostat down in the room where the TT is.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Absolutely agreed. If you're going to use the Spin Clean do it right.

Wounded Land likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You said you put the heat on. What is the humidity level in the room? If it's real low, maybe that could indicate a possible reason why regardless of what you try, you still run into problems.

20. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's dry but I have a problem all the time. Need to try a humidifier.

Terrible last night. Couldn't make it through a song without major build up. Think you guys are right about the microfiber cloth. Last thing I do is spray phan-stadt and wipe with cloth. Must be shedding. Just got another bottle that came with ant-static cloth. I'll use that.

Does it look like anything is wrong with the stylus or suspension or is it just the crap on it? It's a Dynavector 10X5. The Vinyl Styl cleaner has a small round carbon fiber brush you put the fluid on. Should I try using the small fingernail polish style applicator brush to apply it directly?

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The stylus looks clogged with a bunch of fibers. Throw those microfiber cloths in the trash. I would check with Dyna re: what is appropriate to clean your stylus.

One thing I will mention is that sometimes those fibers can get curled round the stylus in a away that makes them very difficult to remove. If that is the case, you have to be very, very careful but you may be able to remove it with a plastic toothpick. Ideally you want to remove the cart to do this. If you screw up you could easily ruin your cartridge. When you remove the fibers it will be like a little tightly coiled wreath.

22. Sgt Pepper

You obviously have not used homebrew and if you have how does it suck?

The spin clean fluid leaves residue on the record much the same as the Konosti.

23. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

24. Sgt Pepper

You're supposed to filter the fluid before returning it to its container.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Actually I have. When I first got my RCM I tried homebrew, sucked. I use AI #15 now. Never had residue with the Spin Clean when I used that. I think people are not measuring the SC stuff correctly or else they are using something besides distilled water, or not washing the bath and brushes when done cleaning. I also think that SC's claim of 50 or 100 records with one bath is nonesense. I used to clean 10-20 LPs tops then dump the bath.

Wounded Land and TheVinylAddict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.