Can't get stylus clean. Static problem.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Strange you must have made the wrong mix or something.
    These guys know what they are talking about and I am using it with my Project VC-S with fantastic results.
    LJC home recipe for record cleaning machines

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nope. Tried a variety of homebrew recipes. Have you tried a real enzyme record cleaner? It is much stronger than those weak one step cleaners and watered down homebrews and will get records much quieter. Many people don't want to try it because they don't want to do a rinsing step which is required for these types of cleaners.

3. Sgt Pepper

Nope coz this works and is recommended by pros.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What the heck is a "pro" anyway? :laughup:

I'm hitting the ignore button now, none of this back and forth over homebrew record cleaner is helping OP.

5. Sgt Pepper

Go for it.

To the OP use a homebrew solution, it's much cheaper than some rubbish some here are recommending and is used by many high-end audiophiles around the world with fantastic results.

6. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I live in Phoenix which typically has humidity less than 20%, which is terrific for creating static problems. My problems went away with two steps: air drying the records (post spin clean) and using anti-static records sleeves (at least they claim to be). I also use 1 cap full of spin clean cleaning fluid instead of 3 as directed.

Probably super obvious but you are using distilled water correct? That was my other newbie mistake the first time. Some of my records sounded worse when I dried my records with the provided spin clean cloth. They definitely clicked and popped more post clean, at least the first spin after cleaning.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Ditch the cloth.

Air dry after a proper rinse. If you are cleaning w/out a vac system of some sort.

Clean your stylus before/after every LP with Blue Tac. Only brush with fluid for stubborn crusties unless manufacturer advises no liquid cleaner.

After changing all that Milty should handle your static problem.

bajaed likes this.
  8. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

To be clear, I just go it the Vinyl Vac a few days ago and should have the cleaning concentrate by Tuesday so I'll be cleaning for the first time by then. I'll be mixing the concentrate with distilled water and rinsing with distilled as well. It should make a huge difference, long overdue.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just make sure you aren't doing that anywhere near your turntable. Either use a 2nd junk table or make up something DIY. Keep water away from the turntable or you will be sorry.

10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Try cleaning an already-squeegeed-clean mirror glass with the microfiber towel you are using, with just a drop of water. You will probably see the little fuzzies coming off on the glass also. Microfibers snag and capture the lint, and don't let the dirt go when you rinse the towel. Quickly, they will become too contaminated and instead re-deposit lint (or the dust they pick up if you don't store them in a ZipLoc bag).

Putting the microfiber in a clothes washer is "RIP towel" for anything but washing your car.

Rinse & vacuum clean only (or air dry if you can liberally rinse first with distilled water). A wood glue peel will get the fuzz off your contaminated vinyl.

A little toothpick-shaped sliver of magic eraser will probably tickle that fuzz off the needle.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. bajaed

10X5 stylus gunk

I don't even know if I have a stylus under there. This is AFTER 5 dips in moongel, 5 swipes with the stylus cleaner applicator brush, multiple swipes with a carbon fiber brush...

What should I try next?

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you can live-view the microscope, tweezers and a sewing needle to pluck off the fuzzies.

Then the magic eraser. Get the original type without added detergents. Magic Eraser is a melamine foam that is like miniature steel wool made out of crystals. You can repeatedly dip the stylus directly down into the block, but for a case like this, also get the scissors and make yourself a little magic eraser sliver to clean around the base of the stylus.

Neat threads:

The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 2

AT150MLX Stylus Photographs

13. bajaed

I have Magic Eraser and tried it Saturday. No luck. Weird deal. Thinking about taking it in to my local repair shop tomorrow to see what they can do.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did you read my post about the plastic toothpick? When those fibers get entangled like that none of the methods you mentioned are going to work. You're going to have to be careful, microscope might be a good idea (or a loupe).

15. bajaed

Thanks patient. I'm too fumble fingered to take a chance. I let the manager of the shop where I get my stuff repaired tale a shot.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Why would you re-use it? Depending on the size bottle of Spin Clean fluid you buy it's one to three capfuls, which looks like about a tablespoon. It costs about a dime, I'd guess. The fluid you're peddling even says it's for vacuum cleaners. Why would you recommend it for Spin Clean? Besides, alcohol free is the way to go. I wouldn't put that stuff on my records.

17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Re: microfibre cloths.
    I have bought a few, based on suggestions on record-cleaning threads. They got dirty when dropped before using, and so I've put them through the washing machine. I haven't used them yet, and based on comments above perhaps I shouldn't use them for drying records.

So what cloth is good for drying records that won't shed? BTW, I don't have a spin clean, and have manually washed disks.

18. harby

harby Forum Resident

A microfiber towel through your washing machine is now fully impregnated with clothes fibers and lint. Sorry.

The best homebrew way (besides a record cleaning machine) to dry the record of rinse water is to vacuum it off with a non-contact wand with a slit. The smaller the slit width, the higher the air velocity.

A trip to the hardware store, and you can make something like this for your shop-vac (use a clean wet/dry vacuum with some water in the tank so it doesn't kick up more dust):

There's also devices that vacuum the bottom of the disc, but that doesn't allow you to irrigate with more rinse water.

Personally, my invention is a self-balancing centrifuge which clamps the record in the middle and just spins the LP at high RPM to fling the water off. Just have to make the prototype, but the USPTO no longer requires any evidence that an invention actually works to issue a patent, so I've got that going for me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  19. Sgt Pepper

21. I think thats a bloody good idea. Its a very good cart, needs an "expert" to have a look. Good luck

22. Sgt Pepper

Just for Spin Clean, you use much less with an RCM and is very safe with hand operated record cleaners, and very cheap to make. Isopropyl Alcohol, distilled water, and wetting agent, is very safe for Vinyl records and has been used by many collectors for a number of years. What would make you think It is not safe to use with records.
    Again look at the cost of home brew mix compared to Spin Clean Fluid and it will do a better job.

This is what I and many others are using it with:

23. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

You're the one that said to "buy a Spin Clean and ditch the fluid." That's bad advice. If you're using a Spin Clean, you should use their fluid.

If you meant to tell the OP to use a vacuum, you should have been more clear.

patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  24. Sgt Pepper

Why?

I did mean ditch the fluid supplied and replace it with the homebrew mix.

I still think you should go with the home brew, much cheaper and more effective and works with the spin clean perfectly, as it does with the knosti., especial ditch the konosti fluid if anyone is using it, awful stuff.

Surely you guys aren't paying this for a bottle of spin clean:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-Fluid/dp/B008EBRV22

25. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Why? I explained why, and I wasn't the only one who did. If you don't understand the differences between how a Spin Clean works and a vacuum system I'm not going to explain it to you again. For a Spin Clean, your initial advice was bad. You should only use their fluid. If you don't want to use their fluid, you should choose another system. One of the advantages of a vacuum system is being able to use different fluids and that's a conversation I'm sure has been beaten to death in several other threads.

Surely you know there are more than one place to buy a year or two supply of Spin Clean fluid for less than your link. I hear the web is world wide now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.