"Can't talk..... watching "Simpsons" marathon.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I have zero interest in The Simpsons on blu-ray if they're just up-rezzed 480i video. They need to either re-scan original film elements in HD or not bother.

2. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure they haven't. All I've seen from Fox is a statement that the episodes were "remastered in HD," so one would think a massive undertaking like a rescan would have been made more public, but these FXX episodes do look better than the DVDs do when upscaled. I'm sure their upscaling equipment is better than what I've got, but I wouldn't think upscaled, ancient video masters would look this nice.

3. I think someone upthread said that was the plan. Let's hope so, anyway.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

If they were full-blown HD remasters, I think the difference would be night and day noticeable. I get the feeling they only look marginally better, which seems like up-res to me.

5. I believe they've digitally recolored the early seasons. The problem is that the show's animation in its early years was very poor at best.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I'm getting some jiggles from these 2004 episodes....
    Like Paul McCartney's late-'80's albums, these aren't as bad as I first thought they were!

8. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

In 2004, all we knew was it was worse than what we'd gotten before. What we didn't know (but do now), was how bad it was going to get. The McCartney analogy is precise.

9. vince

It's safe to say;after the creators, writers,voice actors, and the studio...the people who profit the most from this Simpsons marathon is Yello!!
    I don't know HOW many episodes have "oh, Yeah" playing on them.

10. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I fully agree with this. Cotton was one of my favorite characters, and it was (and still is) sad to see him bite the dust. King of the Hill, like Simpsons, was in its prime between seasons 2 and 7. I watched the new season of the Boondocks this year out of loyalty, and none of the episodes matched what came before.

I actually haven't watched the Simpsons since 2008 (both new and old). I have forgotten about a lot of episodes save for a few jokes here and there. My brother's got all seasons up to 10 on DVD in our house. Would you guys say that I'm due for a re-watch?

11. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I don't have the means to watch the marathon, but I've been going on a Simpsons DVD watching binge. I'm now realizing just what a brilliant satire (and time capsule) of 90's culture this show was during it's prime. It's easier to appreciate this with the distance of a couple decades.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  12. vince

It's Day 8, and I'm............. uh........... getting a little dizzy................. uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh....

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"How do you keep The Simpsons fresh and funny after eight long years?"

"Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?"

— Troy McClure, "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase" (1997)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. vince

I would say the second most played song is "Happy Together"!

15. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I'm sure the Carpenters' "Close to You" must be the most-used one overall. It's Homer & Marge's "song" and pops up everywhere from a doorbell rendition to the movie.

16. vince

That MAY be... but, neither, I believe, is used more than "Oh Yeah" by Yello!

17. vince

Well, now it's "the Simpsons Movie" time....
    I'm really interested to see if these next episodes are as bad as I remember them.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They have not.

That is correct.

Not recolored, and the Klasky-Csupo animation was really, really bad. I think it got a lot better in 1992 when Film Roman took over.

19. vince

uuuhhhhhh,............ now, they're getting redundant. Nicely animated, but,.... ugh, I can't even think. Simpson over-load.

20. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

The bizarre thing is, I can recite entire scenes from episodes of the early 90's, but I watched a few tonight from 2009-10 and my partner and I can't remember several episodes at all! Ned takes the Simpsons to Israel? Homer becomes Chief Wiggum's best friend? Whatever... Don't remember these at all!

krock2009 and Benno123 like this.
  21. vince

I can, at least, console myself with the fact that "The Book Job" will be coming on later today!

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't remember them because I never saw them! :)

I stopped watching new shows probably around 2001 - whenever my website took up so much of my time that I bailed on ALL TV that wasn't on DVD. If I'm gonna sit in front of the TV, I'm gonna get a review out of it! :D

I think "Simpsons" was the last show I gave up watching, though...

23. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I kind of wish I was in your shoes. I, at least vaguely, remember every episode I've seen so far. I know I've seen pretty much all of them, but I keep hoping I run into one I've never seen or don't remember. Nada. Now we're into the final stretch. My best chance of that happening was probably seasons 13-18.

sparkydog likes this.
  24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

They just showed the one with Joan Rivers on it, sad.

25. vince

"The Book Job"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.