Capitol Records 2-track Reel-to-Reel Tapes, 1957-1958

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Apr 28, 2012.

1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MLutthans,

I have good copies of both tapes. The Music Man is superb. The Gaite Parisienne is very nice.

2. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I did find a different catalog in my ZC-34 Ray Anthony "Young Ideas" tape. It looks to be an earlier version. The highest catalog number shown is ZF-27 and all of the titles are shown with an illustration. I will scan it tomorrow.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

^^^^Great; thanks!

Matt

4. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Here are the scans:

Attached Files:

5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That does.
    Also Stan Kenton's "Back To Balboa".
    My middle school band teacher (Phil Gilbert) plays on that and flipped out when I told him that I have it.
    He runs Concordia Music in North Miami.

6. MLutthans

I found this earlier in the Billboard archives, from February 25, 1956:
    Screen shot 2013-03-23 at 2.22.12 AM.jpg
    Are there stereo tapes that were actually issued by EMI in England in 1955???? That's what the first paragraph hints at, which surprises me, as I have EMI reels from the mid-60s that are still in mono. Anybody know?

EasterEverywhere and lukpac like this.
  7. MLutthans

8. MLutthans

Bump for the question in bold. (See post #131 for the attachment.) Thanks!

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wish I knew! That said, a quick Google turns up a few things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording

http://books.google.com/books?id=xV...=onepage&q=emi stereosonic tapes 1955&f=false

It appears this might offer more information:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/48571448/stereosonic-tapes-revolution-that-never-was

Let me see if I can dig up that article.

10. MLutthans

Wow! I had no idea that these were being issued in England at that time. Thanks, Luke.

Matt

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's possible that they didn't make their way to consumers until a bit later, kind of like how Ampex was a bit premature with their announcement of 24-track at the 1968 AES convention (I think the first machines weren't hitting studios for about another year). But, even if that's true (which...is just a guess), one would assume they were out by at least early '56.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's this thread:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67862

With this:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=422700&postcount=5

Ted Kendall wrote the piece above (now known as Classical Recordings Quarterly), and I would guess he's the expert.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. Joe Van Blerck

Joe Van Blerck Well-Known Member

Hi-
    Not sure this is the right place for this post but here goes....
    I recently acquired some Capitol 2 track tapes..among them Johnny Richards "Wide Range" ZC-16. Just for fun I compared the Johnny Richards Mosaic Set binaural takes of Walkin' and Cimmeron (which the mosaic notes say are from Capitol ZC-16) to my copy of the same played on a Revox A77 4 track (I realize the problem with playing 2 track tapes on a 4 track deck). To my surprise my tape sounds nothing like the Mosaic track of supposedly the same thing. The Mosaic sounds thin, the balance is different (much more R-L isolation) and on Cimmeron the trombone solos are almost inaudible. I'm wondering if perhaps the center channel is missing on the Mosaic (maybe accounting for more separation in the soundstage and the inaudible solos which might have been played into the center channel mike) or if something else is happening. Thanks!!!
    Joe

14. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Columbia's 2 tracks weren't too shabby, either. My first taste of "hi-fi" was my dad's 2 track copy of Merry Christmas by Johnny Mathis back in 1958-9. I can trace my lifetime of interest in audio directly to that.

rxcory likes this.
  15. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Stacked or Staggered heads, that is the question! I assume that tapes made on staggered head machines were unplayable on stacked head machines.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed, stacked head machines could not play staggered tapes.

17. SixtiesGuy

They play, as long as you don't mind the delay between channels:tiphat:. These days someone handy with digital editing software can easily time-align the channels. I've hardly ever run across recordings for staggered heads - and I don't recall ever seeing a staggered head machine.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

A friend with some of these tapes had done transfers for himself with a correction for the delay between the channels when played without staggered heads. It's fine after that.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A friendly bump for a great thread.

20. SixtiesGuy

Is there a listing, or even better, photos somewhere of staggered head machines? Does anyone here happen to own one? I'm curious because I've never seen one. They must have been manufactured for all of three months before stacked-head machines became the weapon of choice. The staggered head layout would have made physical tape editing a bit of a challenge (ha).

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re: EMI StereoSonic tapes. Yes, EMI made 1/2 track Stereo reels at 7 1/2 IPS. All classical. Some UK Columbia titles were also available. Very expensive.

22. MLutthans

From another thread:

I've posted a couple of cuts from Capitol reel #ZC-13 here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/BlackSatin.html
    The recording is very curious. Some tracks are clearly 3-mic recordings in that early stereo style that Capitol favored, but then on others, I can detect spot mics and knob-twiddling. Does anybody know the order for the sessions, i.e., which track was recorded first, second, third, etc.? Or who engineered this?

Oddly, this particular title completely jumbles the running order. The original mono order was:
    $(KGrHqF,!hcFC96Y(M)kBQyCB9dM8g~~60_57.JPG
    On the reel, it's:
    Starlight Souvenirs
    What is There to Say
    Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You
    The Folks Who Live on the Hill
    If I Should Lose You
    Moon Song
    One Morning in May
    Black Satin
    Medley: As Long As I Live - Let's Live Again

smurfer and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

I don't think they knew what the hell they were doing.

24. MLutthans

I'm essentially with you, but I'll put a slightly different twist on the wording: I think they were experimenting and trying to figure out how to make the dang thing work well -- and there was a definite learning/gestation period.

Had to be frustrating, too, to have the brand-spanking-new studio that was beautifully designed from the ground up for stunning hi-fi mono (Nat Cole "After Midnight," anybody????), then have to adapt that for stereo use. Lots o' buggaboos to figure out, on the fly, with no owners manual.

25. Steve Hoffman

Yeah. You don't by chance have the mono mixes for those two songs, do you? I've never heard them. Sounds like the percussion was terribly off mic, as usual in the binaural version...